Specialized Fatboy Tire

Fatboy

Instant black top speed for your MTB.

BigKidOnBike   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

very low rolling resistance (even on our tandem), durable, easy to mount, takes a high pressure (100 psi), bald/excellent traction

a tad expensive, hard to find

We bought these tires to reduce rolling resistance/increase our speed on our tandem. Best/fastest tires we have used on that ride to date! Incredibly smooth and surprisingly easy in the rough road even at the high pressure. I kept looking and looking to find a tire that fits our 26" mtn. rims (Cannondale tandem). Hard to find! This tire is a true 1" bald. Contains the Armadillo strip so it seems really durable. Haven't had a single flat in close to 1K miles. Highly recomended. Would probably to very well as a commuter, too. Have used these tires in 2 day double century, lots of half-day rides, and with a loaded Bob on the back. We met another tandem couple who were rolling on some 1" Conti's years ago, but I could never find them locally.

Similar Products Used: 1.5' semi slick
Amador   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2012]
Strength:

Fast, quiet, 100 psi

Vibrations from poor roads

I got these after researching my options for optimizing speed on my 1995 trek mtb. I wanted to convert my mtb into a fast commuting machine. This is exactly what I got. On occasions I even choose my mtb over my road bike for workouts, particularly for short distances of 10 miles or less. I see little difference in time, avg speed, and max speed at short distances when compared to my carbon road bike. This amazes me considering what I paid for my carbon bike. I never had a problem with traction in poor weather but I believe it's due to good common sense. Overall I'm really happy with the fatboys. I've had them for 500 miles and have not had my first flat.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer tour guard 26 x 1.5
sheldon   [Dec 01, 2012]
Strength:

durable

cost

I have toured through New Zealand and Australia on these tires. never had a flat. put thousands of miles on these tires at 100 psi. I remember riding down a mountain side that I lived on to go to work in downtown Wellington, I could get them to squeel as I was riding so fast around the corners. They never let me or my Merlin down.
Now I use them for training with my duaghters, them on tri bikes, and me on my merlin.

daveparker777   Weekend Warrior [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

Not much to say. 26 x 1.25 Fat Boys with "Flak Jacket".

Poor rolling resistance. Lousy puncture protection. Flatted by a flake of rock.

Not at all impressed. Won't be buying another set of these tires.

tbalzer   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

Good price, low rolling resistance, looks good.

there is no tread, so be careful if encountering dirt or sand. I haven't had any problems with sand or dirt, but it could be a problem

I've had the Ritchey Tom Slick for years and thought it was a good tire. Then went to the LBS and lucked out and these were the only tires they had that fit the bill. There were the more expensive kevlar bead specialized, but for commuting $40 a tire is out of my price range. I am so glad that I purchased these tires. They roll fast and have enough width to make the ride comfortable at the same time.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Tom Slick
bcrank   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2010]
Strength:

built in tire liner, low rolling resistance. skinny. easy to mount. i can do it by hand. don't know what problem others are having.

sometimes hard to find locally. slices easily (of course anything does if you hit glass)

this is a good tire. i have been using it for almost 10 years and i have found nothing better. i have actually been using the latest set for over 3 years with no problems. of course, once in awhile you get a bad tire, but that is the same with any tire.

i do use liners despite the built-in liner, but have only had the rare large thorn or cactus needle penetrate through the tire, but not through the liner. i do use liners with any tire out here--lots of cactus and mesquite trees(thorns)that drop branches in the middle of your path.

the tires definitely add speed to your commute. comparisons on known road loops have yielded at least 5mph increase on average uphill, about 7 on flats and about 10mph on downhills. at least for me.

of course be careful in the wet and slick surfaces, but that is common sense. no tread. right??

Similar Products Used: Any other slick.
HaveBlue   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2010]
Strength:

Quiet; Low rolling resistance; High pressure

Short life span; prone to cuts and punctures; difficult to remove and install

I'm really disappointed with this tire. While on a ride today, I got yet another flat in the rear. That was the third one this month alone. Luckily I was near a bike shop. They checked out the tire and recommended I replace it due to wear. They offered to extend the life of the tire by installing a thorn-resistant tube, but I opted to replace the tire completely. I only got 315 miles out of the rear tire. The Specialized Fatboy gets 1 chili for value and 2 chilis for the strengths named above.

Similar Products Used: Continental Town & Country
Todd   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

Price, weight, rolling resistance

These tires are above and beyond the tom slicks they replace. The rolling resistance and weight are a huge improvement over the tom slicks. They are a bit more expensive however I think they are worth it in the time saved getting to and from work. I did not have the same problems mounting these tires as some others did. It may be the tolerance of electra's rims however.

Once winter rolls around I'll have to get some studded tires but I am not worried about the rain after reading previous posts. I have not ridden them in the rain yet but am not worried after reading previous posts. These tires are definately for the street because of the width and lack of any tread. Do not take these off road!

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Tom Slick 1.5's
sacrac   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent puncture resistance for a 1.25 tire.

Cant think of any

Just put them on the wife's bike for a ride from Key Largo to Key West and back, +200 miles (http://www.bubbafestbiketours.com/). All I can say is that we passed numerous other cyclist fixing numerous flats. We had none to report. I was on Continental Town and Country tires, which I usually use to urban stupid riding in downtown Orlando. I keep a set of wheels with the fatboys for speed work as I never was a roadie kind of person. Anyway, what it comes down to is I bought about three tubes and many air cylinders to fix the flats that we were "going" to have with all of the glass and other nonsense, but never used a thing. In fact I was giving away cylinders and patches to all of the roadie riders that were on their, not kidding, 4th or 5th flat each day. I dont work for specialized, but these tires are... slick, 1.25 diameter, round, tough, and a noticably feel different from knobbies. Well worth the price. Dont know about the weight, but if you are buying slicks for a mtn bike... get a road bike if you are going to freak about weight.

Similar Products Used: Continental Town and Country
Sum1   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2008]
Strength:

Almost completely silent and very smooth ride on smooth pavement (unlike knobby mountain tires), excellent cornering.

Makes bike look weak and skimpy. Not much faster than the Specialized Resolution Tires (standard on 08' Hardrock models). Also hard to get off rims.

I switch back and forth between these tires and my Resolution tires to save the tread on the Resolution tires. These are great commute tires. If you ride your bike to work or school everyday, these tires are the best you can get. I also would recommend these tires to people who ride on the road for fun. If you spend most of your biking time on very rough roads, keep looking for another tire because these tires would get annoying after awhile. Every little bump is transmitted up the bike with these tires at 100 psi.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like it.