Specialized Chunder Pro Tire Tire

Chunder Pro Tire

This versatile DH tire suits riders seeking a durable, all-condition tread and tough sidewall construction for long days of lift-accessed gravity riding.

BigHitChris   Downhiller [Nov 04, 2010]
Strength:

Good grip, especially on dry conditions, handles the rocks and roots well and havent got a puncture on them yet!

Really slippy in the wet. If possible use other tyres in the wet conditions. As soon as it gets muddy, the treads are clogged up and you have no grip

Fast rolling, grippy tyres on relatively dry conditions. When it gets muddy get some better tyres on!

chocolatefoot   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2010]
Strength:

Great aggressive all rounder. Not the lightest out there, and maybe not as tacky as the Super Tacky Maxxis compounds, but grippy in a wide variety of conditions, very predictable, and excellent cornering bite traction. I fully expected to get rid of them on ride #1 and swap them for some High Roller Super Tackys but now I'm looking for another set of these.

Great aggressive all rounder.

Similar Products Used: High Rollers mostly, Minions, various others.
mtbkid15   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

awesome grip, thick sidewall, sticks

These are probably the best tires I have ever ridden. So smooth and they have great grip in very loose corners, sand slick-rock pretty much anything you throw at them. Great fr/dh tire because they stick so good on landings.

Similar Products Used: Marzochi tires, wtb timberwolves
go-ride   [Sep 08, 2007]
Strength:

This review is for the new '08 Chunder Control 2.2 2bliss tire.

Great grip on the rocks. As a front tire it holds a high speed line with great confidence. Big volume tire for a 2.2 (like most knobby Specialized tires I've tried)

Maybe not a great roller. This is compared to my worn down Conti Vert Pro 2.35 tire that I had on the rear. This is not really a weakness, it just is what it is. My Conti seems to have harder rubber, plus is was worn down so I do notice a difference in effort needed to get up the short steeps.

I run these both front and back now at 30psi. A bit more of a challenge effort wise on the ups but the rear traction is great. The type of riding I do i the Phoenix area means I'll gladly give up a bit of rolling resistance for a sure footed tire. This fits that bill.

I was running a 2bliss 2.4 Enduro on front but this tire scared the crap out of me on the way off camber slick rock areas of Moab, like Bartlett wash. So I thought I'd lood for something with a slightly more rounded profie and just a bit smaller volume. This Chunder works for that. I liked it so much that I went back the next day to get one for the rear. Tire holds a line very well at speed on loose over hardpack, which is all I ride locally. It's smaller than the Enduro but big enough. In fact it is every bit as big as the 2.3 Conti is replaced on the rear.

I think this 'Chunder Contro' is a scaled down version of the d/h Chunder tire. If you're looking for a big knobbied tire thats not 'too big', this might work for you.

I'm a little worried about the sidewalls as they seem thin. I ride extremely rocky trails, but so far so good!

Similar Products Used: Many knobbie tires not meant for speed. Nevegal, the Vert, Enduro 2.4 ust, etc.
kbw   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2007]
Strength:

meaty treads, roll well, hook up

a bit heavy

was using IRC claw comp on rear. Probably my favorite rear tire ever. The Chunder Control, which i am told replaced the Pro, is a very generous 2.2. I rolls well on pavment and hard pack and was nice match in cornering to my 2.4 WTB Mutano in the front. I am running Mavic 223s and it got a bit squirmy when under inflated, but that is to be expected with a narrow rim. In a perfect world I would ask for slightly less volume and the same knob height.

Similar Products Used: WTB, IRC, Conti, Onza, Trek, Bontrager
Ron Ekas   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2007]
Strength:

Tough side walls, super thorn proof with just tire liners, long lasting tread, rugged beefy tire. This is by far the best tire I have used on my bike so far. I usually use Stans NoTubes, but with this tire I'm just running liners because they are really that tough! And OMG I have completely fallen in love with them. They rides so well. I paid just under $60 scones to have a pair delived to my door off of Ebay. They are 60 ply and heavy duty. They did add to the weight of my bike ride a bit, but well worth it.

They are heavy ply tires that weigh a bit. I don't know if I would really even call that a weakness though.

The best tire I have ridden around on so far. WTG Specialized! The Chunder spews like no other.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Resolution Pro, Serfas Burners, Specialized Fast Trak Pro...Nothing compares to this Chunder tire.
J   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2008]
Strength:

Solid with good grip in dry conditions.

Limited grip in wet conditions.

Fine tire when it's dry... use something else for the wet.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C, Kenda Nevegal Stick-E.
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2007]
Strength:

+Good grip
+corners well in loose dirt, loose rock over dirt, pumice
+durable, with kevelar so those f***ing thorns dont pierce

-Highest rolling resistance of all the tires I have used

Great all around tire, best cornering grip of any tire I have ever used, best thorn resistance of any tire I have ever used.

GREAT west coast (nor cal, nevada, ect.) tire.

not too pricey either.

Similar Products Used: WTB moto raptor
WTB exi wolf
Tony   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2007]
Strength:

Super long Wear, Aggressive side nobs, and strong side walls

weight

LONG WEAR TIME. I rode this tire in the beginning of 06 around philly (mostly urban) with occasional trips to the Whis (trails) and these dominated on pavement and stairs. I rode mostly urban until late spring until diablo opened then rode there almost every other weekend. Tires held up. Prevented flats better than the minions. During the fall i rode mostly flat cross country-ish trails and still gripping well. Now, finally the rear tire is in need or replacing. The front, however, still has considerable knobbage and is moving to the back. (i admit that i skid a little)

Anyways, these tires last a very very long time (blows the mobster away) has the strength of the minions, and a similar feel to nevegals just a little quieter. Very little rolling resistance on the dirt. On the pavement however... like most knobbies, it'll be a workout.

5 out of 5 for these beuts