Specialized Captain S-Works Tire

• Shoulder Compound: 60a
  • PSI: 35-65

[Jun 05, 2014]
thumper07

Strength:

Cornering, climbing, dry sand, hard pack, loose coral rock/gravel

None found yet, although possibly the sidewall strength. From what I've read anyway.

I was always the guy who chose minimal rolling resistance and light weight over traction, because I always thought that's what I needed to be fast. Low rolling resistance + low weight = win races. I spent a great deal of time practicing and trying to learn how to corner my 200 pound (all muscle) body at race speed with minimalist tires. After years of trying this, and crashing a lot, I finally came to the realization that cornering grip is more important than weight. To an extent, of course. So, I after some research, I bought these tires. I'm a pretty fast guy but believe that I slow myself down for every turn. Enough so it lowers my average speed and lap times. Last night I rode these tires for tubeless for the first time, and I must say "WOW"! I was shocked at how I was able to keep my fast speed through nearly every turn without touching the brakes one bit. My average miles per hour on this particular course went from 10.4 to 10.6, the first ride. And I still braked at many of the turns because I didn't know exactly what the limits of this tire were. I kept pushing and pushing and was not able to get the tires to slide at any corner. I am confident that with a bit more practice these tires will help me reach my next level of speed. I am truly sold on traction over weight and will never return to a Fastrak typed tire again.

[Dec 24, 2013]
Tim

Strength:

Fast,light,hold well in most condition

I have raced the captain in both the 26 and the 29 versions over the past 4 seasons to age group championships. (MN)I also have used them in vacation freerides in OR, CO and CA. They are light, fast rollers with an aggressive tread pattern that holds the trail in most conditions. They set up quickly for tubless on stans rims. I typically get adout 600 miles on them before change out. This is one of the best all around tires available.

6's, 8's and maxxis

[Nov 16, 2013]
Nick

Strength:

Good rolling resistance

Not grippy, corners horribly, doesn't shed anything

Bought a Stumpjumper FSR and these tires were on it. First ride the tires were slipping everywhere once in the trail but rolled well on the road while biking to the trails. Set the bike up more to my liking and the tires seem to work a little better but still not well. The end of the trail had some wet sand and the tire clogged to the point that you couldn't see rubber any longer. (my weirwolfs never did this on my last bike) Rode ten kilometers home on the road with a spot where I reach speed around 50km/hr and the tires were still clogged with sand showing a bit of tread when I got home.
Terrible tire

[Oct 10, 2013]
Ozgur Butuner

Strength:

Extremely gripping dual compound, ride comfort, low rolling resistance @ 50psi, noisy on flats.
Unbelievable wet braking...

Sidewalls, but if you have good timing to unweight your tyres, it won't bite you.

Im in love with that tyres, sorry :)

[Jul 31, 2012]
Cody

Strength:

Light. Fast.

Bad grip on turns/angles. Difficult to make tubeless. Waaaay to much $$$ for the quality.

Very hard to make tubeless (I could not do it in 2 hours, bike shop could not do it in 2 more hours... replaced tire with Kenda Nevegal which went tubeless in less than 2 minutes). I've had the tire slide out on tight turns (not with the Kenda) and I've had the tire slide out on angled banks (again, not the Kenda). If you notice the people who race, they do not race this tire. My guess, slides out too much.

Cost is too much. S-works makes great bikes, seats, shoes, and helmets... but not tires. I would not suggest this tire to anyone.

Best tire in the world --> Depends on where you live/what terrain you ride. Go talk to some guys who go out locally and find out which tires they've used, which they like best... and you probably want a different front tire from rear. I'm using Kenda Nevegal front and Kenda Slant Six on rear for my terrain, which is dirt, lil mud, some sand, lots of roots, quite a few rocks.... works great in this environment.

Michillan Wild Gripper lite, Kenda Nevegal, Kenda slant 6, CST comp Cheyenne

[May 08, 2012]
Hempress

Strength:

Great traction on everything except wet roots, Great Cornering ability, Rolls pretty fast, In short everything you want in a tire.

Not the best in sand but what tire is?

I have the control casing of this tire. I am also coming from Specialized's Fast Trak which is a pure xc race/ hardpack tire so take that into account. I actually found that I was faster with this tire front and rear because I could pedal out of the saddle w/o worrying about spinning out. Going up gravel strewn hills this things will spin for 1/2 a second and then find traction again. The cornering is terrific. The casing has suffered a few punctures but I was riding in an area where sharp, metal pieces are probably the culprit. As for trail related hits I've never been disappointed. For XC-light trail this tire rocks, I will probably get another set after this one wears out.

[Apr 23, 2012]
Rick

Strength:

Good wear, had no issues with sidewalls at all. I probably run a bit more air pressure than most though. Very light. Really like it on the rear. Very fast rolling.

Didn't like the tire at all as a front. Price is higher than comparable tires too.

Had very good luck with the tire when used as a rear. Didn't like it at all as a front. Got around 1000 miles out of the rear, pretty much rode it down to nothing. Never had any issue with sidewalls and all the areas I ride are very rocky. Good tire but I've found a few I like better for less money.

[Mar 11, 2012]
s paul
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

tread seemed ok to start with

sidewall thin and cracks. keeps blowing holes andv punctures

dont buy these tyres

[Mar 10, 2012]
Hal

Strength:

Grip, weight, rolling resistance, tubliss

Sidewall sucks!

I've enjoyed these tires until today. I recently switched the front over to tubliss. It took a while to seal the sidewalls, but they finally did. Today, as I went down a steep section of slickrock that went level at the bottom I watched in disbelief as the sidewall blew out at the bottom of the rock. I was going slow, weight back, not on the front brake so as not to endo too! There was no abrasion. No puncture. The sidewall literally just popped like a balloon. And the stans was never able to seal the hole.

After walking (hoping it would seal) and pumping it up 3 times I gave up and put in a tube.

After mountain biking for almost 25 years including many trips on that same trail with tubed Panaracers I've NEVER blown a sidewall. Yeah, it's light, but that's unsat!

Panaracer stuff forever

[Feb 19, 2012]
jetta2010

Strength:

great tire. no flats yet and handles well in wet and dry.

not sure why folks have flat issue. Ive certainly but this tire against rocks and not had any issues. run 38-40 psi.

velociraptors