Specialized Butcher SX Tire

• Bead: Aramid
  • Casing: 60 TPI + cap ply

[May 25, 2012]
willy vanilly

Strength:

Cornering, rubber, weight, width

ANOTHER Minion DHF clone...

This is for the Control Casing Butcher 2.3.

Only had a single ride on the tire to date but it was in a variety of terrain (forest loam, loose over hardpack, rocks, no mud though). Had run a 2.5 Minion DHF for a VERY long time and thought I'd give the Butcher a try since I scored a "used" one off mtbr classifieds for a good price. Grip was good. I did notice the front tire let go on me once early on in the ride but I hit a patch of rocks off balance so I don't think I can blame the tire. The rest of the time, especially downhill (when I care about cornering and grip and such), the tire rocked. Might just have been in the groove that day but really felt like I was ripping the corners (read: not going as slow as I usually do). Sidewall is definitely thinner than that Minion but I guess that's where you save some of the weight. We'll see how the sidewalls hold up long term on my "home base" ride (Santa Teresa County Park).

OVERALL
[Sep 10, 2011]
griffinsurfboard

Strength:

Better grip than the Nevegal it replaced and lighter than the DH32 Michelin

Not sure if its a better gripping tire than my old DH 32 Michelin but its 400 grams lighter and is better than any other tire i have used.

This is for the 2.5 version