Specialized 04 Roll X Sport Tire Tire

04 Roll X Sport Tire

Our most affordable Roll X model. All condition XC tire for fun and function. If you need one tire to do it all in an affordable package, this is it. Flak Jacket puncture protection.

Roger Godwin   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2006]
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance, fast, and climbs fairly well.

Nothing in the corner at all on dry (but loose)conditions. Also, slip and slides on roots that run across the trail.

These tires came with my FSR-XC Pro and are awesome if you want more speed on the trail. However, you spend too much time controlling your speed in the corners because if you don't the tires will not hold you...I will quote Freddy Mercury "Another One Bites the Dust". Maybe it is my size...I am 220lbs and it would take a tractor tire to actually hold me in the corner ;)

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro Pro & Sport
Mdbarbus   [Sep 10, 2006]
Strength:

They seem to roll fast and accelerate easily.

The front tire does not corner well in soft or loose gravel or sand. I would like to try this out in a 2.3 or more, but Specialized only manufactures it in the 2.0 unless you want the tubeless version.

I like this tire on the back of my bike but it does not have enough bite on the front. I do not feel very stable when really pushing this tire into the corners. I tend to break this tire loose more than some other front tires that I have used over the years. These feel good on the back though and I will continue to use them on trails that are hard pack and not very technical.

Similar Products Used: Trailbear, Tioga Factory DH, Fire XC Pro, Hansventure
Milos   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2006]
Strength:

Sticks to the ground - every corner, rock, root, sand ...

With this grip, could be narrower

Not sure how the thread wear will be. So far verry sattisfied. I have replaced my Hutch. Scorpion (punched on first ride) and put the Roll-X on the front wheel. While the front wheel was glued to the ground in every corner my rear wheel with Hutch was all over the trail. I am going to get another Rollex next time I go around bike store...

Similar Products Used: ZMax, IRC Mythos XC K, Hutchinson Scorpion,
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2006]
Strength:

Rolls fairly well (80psi max pressure is great for fireroads)

Climbing grip is a little below average, cornering grip is very, very low.

Good tire if you ride non-technical stuff. Rolls pretty well despite being well over the advertised 2.0"

Similar Products Used: various offerings from WTB, kenda, specialized, and michelin
Mal Johnston   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2005]

Very average tyre. Not good grip in the corners. Not good wearing. Not happy overall with these 2.0 tyres.

Unhappy with this tyres perfomance overall.
They came with the bike and I will be looking for something not 'specialized' to replace them.

Similar Products Used: Many
Jesse   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2004]
Strength:

They seem to stick to the road pretty well, and have lots of knobbys for grip

Short Tread life, mud and dirt clumps up on the tire when on the trails, Heavy, and loud on pavement

I didn't like these tires because of the tread life, the wear they had on pavement and the noise. They seemed to really stick to the road on fast corners with all the knobbys. I would not recommend these tires!!!! Get some specialized Hemisphere EX tire slicks for more pavement riding.

Similar Products Used: Many different tires can't name them!!! too many
Jason   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2004]
Strength:

Seem to shed mud fairly well...

These tires are not my favorites by far. They come stock w/the '04 r'hopper and perform sub-par off-road. They don't grip very well into corners (especially the front), nor do they have very good biting ability when hitting softer spots. I too would have thought Specialized could make a better tire, especially for their bikes that are geared for more serious riders.

The bottom line for these tires is I have just left them on for the mean time, but I will be replacing them with next season's riding with some higher quality tires.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Z-MAX SC, Panaracer
Don   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2004]
Strength:

All around tread, flak jacket, not too fat, not too skinny.
BTW, they are 2.0 inches regardless of what others may say.

not sure, haven't had them that long

I've ridden my bike on roads, across fields, wet & rocky trails, across streams, thru mud, loose dirt & gravel, up very steep hills, even around some turns. Guess what - the tires work well in all conditions that I have experienced so far. As I am a beginning MTB'er, I am not doing anything very extreme, other than tear-assing down a rutted powerline trail or two, so maybe they are not the greatest, but they seem pretty good to me. So far little or no wear showing with about 20 miles on them. Since I haven't had experience with other brands, I'll go a little conservative with my rating 8^)

Similar Products Used: none, this is my 1st mountain bike
Chris   [Aug 11, 2004]
Strength:

Cool logo on side.

Horrible traction in almost any conditions. Quick wear. Way too wide.

These came stock on my 04 Rockhopper. I don't see how Specialized, a pretty reputable manufacturer, would manufacture and equip tires like these! Someone stated they should change the name Roll-X to Wash-Out -- I agree!

First, they don't hold well in cornering. My bike washed out so many times when cornering in loose rocks for seemingly no reason at all while using these tires. Also, they seemed particularly prone to slipping while going up hills. To be fair, I don't recall having problems while riding in muddy conditions, though I don't ride in the mud a lot.

Second, they were well worn in less than three months of riding 2-4 times a week. I don't know how long they should last, but a friend of mine who bought her bike the same day as me and rides with me almost every time I go, has about 90% of tred left on her Bontrager tires (plus she's never had wash out problems).

Third, there is no way these are 2.0 width! They are fatter than the Mythos 2.10 by at least half an inch.

Bottom line is that they tires fail in the two most important categories for me: traction and tred life. With the tred width, I don't see how these can have low rolling resistance (though I could be wrong), so I'm not sure what they would be good for. I don't recommend anyone wasting their money on these. If you get them stock, you might consider changing before doing serious mountain biking.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos XC front and rear.