Specialized 03 FatboyTire Tire

03 FatboyTire

Instant black top speed for your MTB. Tough, durable "slick" tire for mountain biking on the road. Flakjacket flat protection.

race   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap

I was hesitant to purchase another Specialized product because history has shown a lack of consistancy with their quality. Since it was a reletively low cost tire and it was the only one at the store with any type of flat prevention, I thought I would try it on the back wheel. I often use a flat resistant tire of some type on the rear wheel when riding in the city. (atlanta has a lot of glass on their roads. apparently, it is common to dispose of beer bottles by thowing them out of car windows.) In fact I use Michelin Selects (they used to make Kevlar belted versions and I stocked up)and Panaracer Kevlar belted tires on my road bike when I plan on riding thru downtown. I have never had a flat with the Michelin Selects or Panaracers (and I have worn out three sets.) I had two flats with the Specialized Fatboys in two rides. Buy Hutchinson TopSlicks.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson TopSlicks
Todd Manies   Racer [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

Extremely Fast Rolling Tire.

Look a little funny on a mountain bike.

These Tires Flat out ROCK if you want to go Street Rideing there is no other Option These tires have no Equal.
As for people saying bad Traction in Rain and Dirt???
I havent had one Problem since 1994 useing these tires in fact i occasionally will take them Minor Offroading, But i do Leave my Old Panaracers to the Technical Dirt Stuff.

Ben Wichterman   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

Fast!

These tires are fast! I originally purchased them for roller trainer during the MN winter but as soon as the snow was gone I headed outdoors with these still on my bike. I could not believe how fast these tires roll. I don't have enough gears on my bike to get up to full speed on these tires. They handle extremely well on black top but because these are slicks, anything like dirt, dust or gravel on the road can send you for a little slide.

sam aguirre   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2003]
Strength:

fast predictable good grip compared to a knobby perfect for the rain 100 psi turns your mountain bike in to a roda bike killer youll find yourslef attacking some rode bikers

if you get a flat its most likely big no more jumping off curbs espeaically with 100 psi in your tires

im a messenger in downtown and these tires hold up to the abuse of riding everday ive also rode these tires from downtown la to downtown san diego and these tires are fast you need bigger gears ive also taken them on fire rodes like these tires are great also took them to santa barbra with no problems go to downtown and this is the most used slick good for haninging with the rodeys

Similar Products Used: continental slicks and semi slicks tioga city slicker
Jack Lapham   [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

Fast as hell. Black walls with red writing. This rubber will allow you to travel in 28th gear up hills. No rolling resistance. Reminds me of air hockey. See also: Weaknesses.

Slick, slick, slick. There's no tread! Which is money on a hot sticky day, but where I live it rains a lot. Which is still cool. It makes my commutes more interesting or challenging.

If you want to go fast on a mountain bike, and only use it on pavement, get these tires. You must. However, if you ride in the rain a lot, or ever at all in the snow, don't buy these tires. I ride in the rain all the time, but I don't mind the traction (or lack of). I just take the corners with wet leaves a little bit slower. In my opinion, the reduction in rolling resistance is worth the loss in traction. I suspect these tires aren't very worthy

Similar Products Used: Some other crappy slicks, but they had tread. F'get bout' it. You wanna go fast, get the Fatboys.
Vernon Perry   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2005]
Strength:

No tread ,fast rolling ,sexy ,sticky

They don't grip on wet seal

Awesome,first saw the messenger guys scooting around Sydney on them.Crap in the wet so don't get caught out on a ride if it rains .
Other wise the only slick I will ever use. Makes the roadies droool and lets you keep up with them with out having to purchase an anerexic looking road bike.You will run out of legs so treat yourself to a 53 tooth chainring!