Specialized 01 Ground Control Tire

01 Ground Control

All pourpose ATB tire that performs well on and off road.

Brian Elmer   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2003]
Strength:

-Pretty light for a cheap tire
-They wear down slowly, and last forever

-Quite unpredictable
-No warning when sliding...one second you're gripping, the next you're down.
-No grip in mud at all.

When I bought my bike, these came on it, and I thought they weren't too bad. I used them for over a year on the HardRock, then donated them to a newly acquired '84 Mongoose, and bought a Michelin Front S/XL S combo to replace them.

I couldn't tell much of a difference at first, they seemed to be about equal. Recently, however, I put the Ground Controls back on the Mongoose (had slicks on it before) and went for a ride, and they were awful. I've become spoiled by the Michelins, which are so much more confidence inspring.

On the trail, I was slipping everywhere with the Ground Controls. It was pretty muddy, and had wet leaves, but the Michelins were much better when I went back a few days later (when it was even more muddy!). This is partially a result of the Ground Controls' rounded shape, with non-agressive smaller side lugs.

The Michelins are also more forgiving and predictable, they'll let you know when they're letting go so you can quickly save it. The Ground Controls, on the other hand, just lay you right down.

Bottom line, they're not the worst tires, but I'd spend some more money and buy more agressive and wider tires.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Front S & XL S combo
Arsonist101   [Jul 13, 2001]
Strength:

Its a tire

Not as wide as i like
lotta hum on road
sinks into sand

It's a cheap tire, nothing special about it. Whole lotta humming goin on when on the road, sinks into sand and doesn't float on sand. Don't know how it performs in mud but am guessing not that well. My beads are already starting to break off with only about a 100 miles on the tires.

I am not getting these again

Heather Walton   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2001]
Strength:

These tires are fantastic! They do equally well in dirt, gravel, mud, pavement and very rocky roads. The only tertain I have no tried them on is snow. Also they have Flax Jacket punture protection. I have never had a flat once!

None.

Best all around tires. Fast on concrete and buzz very little. Excellent traction on gravel and dirt roads. Even in really thick gravel they have never slipped out on me. Could be the perfect tire, and you can not beat that price!

Similar Products Used: I have tried just about all the Specialized tires before settling in on these.
Juan Ayarza   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2001]
Strength:

Price, predictability, grip, lightweight

none noted so far

I had really good luck with the first generation of ground controls and decided to stick with them. I've only had them a short time, but so far am very pleased with them. They are light, and grippy, but very predictable which I demand from a front tire. I have been in some sandy covered hard pack in and out of ruts and the tire hooks very well and doesn't wash out. I haven't noticed any extra noise on the road that some of the others have noted. At 12 bucks, it's definitely worth giving your own test too.

Similar Products Used: Michelin wild gripper, older ground control, Ritchey z-max
Ethan Cohen   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2003]
Strength:

Good performance in mud and icy conditions (for a cheap tire). Get a Nokian if you like ice. Very stable. Flat cross section gives lots of traction. Not many tires like it.

The brakes always nick the damn sidewalls on the rim, and the tire dies of sidewall failure. This has happened to at least 5 of these ground controls, especially the 26x2.1s. (Less a problem with 1.9s).

Good tire design if they could just fix the sidewall fatigue problem. Even the Team Armadillo GC design dies the same way.
Otherwise a great tire design. Good for bad conditions, but never lasts.

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Ritchie, Maxxis etc.....22 yrs. worth.
Hardrock   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2002]
Strength:

Decent all around tire. Puncture resistant and fairly light.

Poor traction in loose/loamy soils. Not enough TPI and too narrow (1.95").

These tires came with the bike and I really can't grip too much about their overall performance, but they do lack the aggressive knobbies and traction I need for the sand where I ride. I'll be upgrading to the Specialized "Team Control Pro" tires very soon.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson, Continental.
Luke Bramley   Downhiller [Jun 05, 2002]
Strength:

big grip
deep teeth-long life
kevlar inner for puncture protection

zips a bit on road, but only at quite high speed

the first "proper" tyres i have actually ever got, and that was only due to living in an area with a hell of a lot of thorn hedges being cut all year round, i suffered a lot with punctures.
i couldnt ever really justify buying proper bike tyres before this when i could get a set of tyres for about £8 that did the job ok, but now ill never go back, these tyres are more predictable, reliable, hard wearing, puncture resistant YAY!!

Similar Products Used: none really. only had generic tyres beofre, couldnt be arsed spending extra money when £8 would wrap my wheels in rubber =D