Schwalbe Spiker Tire

Schwalbe Spiker Tire

• Tungsten-Carbide spikes to keep you on track
  • Widely spaced treads to allow snow to clear and increase traction
  • Wire bead
  • 26 x 2.10in. size

[Apr 09, 2017]
Chris Pierdominici
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Grip well on ice and snow pack

Poor quality, lose studs very fast, fall apart

I've been mountain biking for 25 years, and in all those years, I've never seen a more atrocious quality tire, especially at +$100/tire. These tires are absolute garbage. In one Winter's season, over about a dozen rides average around 10 miles, these tires are complete toast. Beyond the fact that they shed studs like no tomorrow, despite priming them as required, both tires I bought have had knobs ribbed off, and both are starting to completely delaminate their outer skins along the bead, something I've never seen before in my life, even on tires I've ridden for years.

[Nov 13, 2016]
Pekka Heikkinen

Strength:

Nice tires for one winter.

On the second winter tires wont stay on wheel but pop out. The inner circle has streched so much that the tire wont stay on wheel. Same issue wiht ice spier and spiker marathon 24 inch in my daughters bike

Good for short use. Not value for the money.

[Jan 02, 2016]
Zerort
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Absolutely incredible grip on icy covered trails

A bit expensive I guess, but they work so well I can't complain too much, but buying 2 is a bit painful to the wallet.

I have the EVO Liteskin version, that I set up tubeless. Took a bit of Stans sealant but they do hold air.

I absolutely love theses tires. I'm getting older and falling at any speed just plain sucks. I need all the traction I can get and noway I'm staying inside all winter.

As another reviewer posted it felt I could truly ride faster and rail harder than I often do in the summer. Theses just plain stick.

25 miles and still have all the studs

[Jan 01, 2016]
rsilvers

Strength:

Great grip on wet roots and ice.

Well, they make noise on pavement, but you knew that.

29 inch version.

My regular tires are Knobby Nics. I like them a lot, but I wanted something I could ride on without worrying about ice, so I got these.

Specifically, I have the non-folding kind with the metal wire bead. I didn't notice at the time, but the ones I got are 1.2 lbs heavier per set. I probably wish I paid more to get the folding ones, though that depends if the folding ones are lighter with zero disadvantages. Maybe they are less durable also? Maybe thinner rubber? Maybe the folding shed more studs?

Lots of reviews said the Ice Spiker shed studs, and that you have to ride them for 20 miles or so on pavement to bed them in. I didn't bother and only rode for about 1/4 mile on pavement. I used them today for the first time on a 12.8 mile trail ride that had every surface - rocks, roots, wooden bridges, dirt, mud, gravel, pavement. I was able to claw up steep/rooty hills without slipping when my Knobby Nics did, and I only lost one stud.

Moreover, they are not expensive to replace if you get them from China on eBay. A few times I have seen 200 packs go for in the $3 range. So my experience is that the fear of losing studs is unwarranted. Also, I spoke to a dealer who sells a lot of these and Nokians, and he said that one is not more likely to shed studs than the other.

Maybe the folding ones shed studs and these heavier ones do not? There must be some reason this tire is so much heavier than the folding one. I don't think the wire-bead alone accounts for so much weight difference. Maybe these have a much more stable rubber base?

They are noisy on pavement and sound like making popcorn. They do seem to have a lot of rolling resistance on pavement - but probably less than a fat-bike (which was something I considered getting instead of these).

My first ride on them: https://www.strava.com/activities/460692107

[Jan 31, 2015]
Larry Ariss

Strength:

great grip on ice

price ,but not so important when safety is involved

being a senior not falling is very important to me .I ran winter marathon last winter and ice spiker pro this year.ice spiker have much more grip on ice.In sask. canada we have five months of ice each winter so safety is a huge issue.In fourteen hundered miles of use I have lost only one stud.To replace stud take refill out of ball point pen,put stud in end of pen and push into stud hole ,takes two seconds,and your ready to go.I would not even consider winter riding without ice spiker pros and bar mitts on my mountain bike in the winter.Thank you for a great product.

[Jan 29, 2013]
Shredaddy

Strength:

Superior grip on ice and snow
Super light weight for a 29e studded tire
Extremely low rolling resistance for a studded tire
Very easy to mount on Bontrager Xlite wheels

The MSRP of $175 would make these super expensive.

Got great price on the Ice Spiker Pros $98 from Univeral Cycles
Tires practically fell onto Bontrager Xlite wheels.
Rode 30 miles on pavement at 20 psi to seat studs as recommended by reviewers.
During break in noticed that bike rolled faster than friends bike with Kenda Karma tires did [amazing].
On hard packed snow and solid ice these tires hold like crazy! I think I can now ride the technical single tracks in NH faster in winter than in summer.
I've lost less than 10 studs after 150 miles of agressive riding.
I run these tires with tubes so I can swap them ought easily when the rocks and roots start coming through. These tires perform so well in severe icy conditions they are totaly worth the extra effort of the changeover just to make them last.

Nokian Extremes and Kenda Klondikes

[Dec 02, 2012]
Kurt
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

traction, handling, stability, snow shedding, looks

none so far

Like many winter trail riders, I've been using Nokian 2.1 studded tires because there are very few options for anything wider. Sure, you get decent traction with a 2.1 rear tire because it's narrow, but up front a 2.1 feels really unstable, especially after a season of riding 2.35's on my trail bike.

When I found the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.3 online, I ordered one to use as a front tire. I can sum up the performance in one word: awesome. The confidence this thing inspires is amazing. It has a tall center profile (looks like a Highroller), which helps it dig in and also shed snow. I rode in sticky, wet snow yesterday and my Nokian was caked but there was no snow in the Schwalbe's knobs. Handling wise, you can lean into corners because there are studs on the side of the profile, unlike the flatter profile skinny Nokians. I did not ride on pavement much before hitting the trails as recommended, but I've only lost one stud so far and that was because I was really laying the bike over on slushy pavement to see when traction would break free. I'm still running a 2.1 Nokian for a rear tire for now.

So I can easily recommend this tire. It's a great design and just plain works great. Curious how it would work for a rear tire.

Photo of my tire: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/nhmtns/SchwalbeIceSpikerPro.jpg

Nokian 294's

[Dec 19, 2011]
tundraline

Strength:

Good grip

Too many spikes lost in a short period of time

My best advice: Stay well away from these tires. Schwalbe does not know what they are doing when it comes to spiked winter tires. I have used these tires now on 7 rides on local mountain bike trails under winter conditions and guess what -- almost 30% of the spikes are gone. My Nokians served me far better over past years. Yes, they too lost studs, but at a rate of only about 10% per tire per season, not 30% over a single week. Nokian also makes a tool for inserting replacement spikes (Schwalbe, to my knowledge, does not). Schwalbe customer service now informs me that Ice Spike Pro tires MUST be run in new on an asphalt surface for 25 km at 20 psi or less to seat the spikes into the rubber. When I spoke with them, it was my firm impression that Schwalbe are highly attuned to the issue of excessive spike loss; after my experiences with the Ice Spike Pro tire I am not surprised. It would have been helpful if Schwalbe had included run-in instructions with the tires when I bought them. Schwalbe says these run-in procedures will prevent spikes from coming out later. I would recommend following Schwalbe's run-in procedures for Ice Spiker Pro tires -- just in case they might work. A better alternative to these tires is to buy Nokian studded tires -- they have been in the studded snow tire business for decades and have the experience in this field that Schwalbe clearly lacks.

Nokian Gaza Extreme and other Nokian studded snow tires

[Dec 19, 2010]
jenine.b

Strength:

Wow, these things are amazing on ice and snow...they allow you to ride up tracks that are coverd in solid sheets of ice on the trails...what was previously un rideable is now a new line...cannot believe how well these things grip on ice, was riding up hill on solid ice, with no problems...brain could not quite believe it!!!

well they are very heavy at almost 1000grams each, but the grip they give you more than makes up for this, also as you run them at quite a low pressure riding on tarmac is very slow... but there meant for off road so not to much of a problem...

these tyres make a unbelievable difference on ice, they work good in snow too.... They are heavy, but it really dose not matter...so id really recommend them...they are the best upgrade i have ever made..ice riding is a bit like night riding, it makes it lots more fun!!!!!! These are not suitable for commuting, the only road work you want to be doing on them is stuff you come along on the trail, if you use these for getting to work add a few minuets to you're journey times as they seem to have a top speed of about 15 miles a hour on the road...also they make a very very cool noise!!!

tyres with-out spikes on the ice...not a good idea at all

[Nov 18, 2010]
hihi

Strength:

doe notslide on ice, carbibe studs dig in when you stop on ice, wide tread pattern works good in half a foot of snow

heavy tire, loud on pavment(but that wont be a problem because i live in saskatchewan, canada so when it is winter the snow is here to stay and in the summer i can switch to summer tyers).

great tyer recomend for everyone in place with snow ice and cold weather. alot like canada in the winter.

homemade