Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tire

Its tapered tread lugs give the Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready Tire an uncanny ability to offer traction in mixed conditions, wet or dry. It's especially appealing here because the low weight of the tire underscores its intent as a race tire, designed to get you there first. With the Rocket Ron, you don't have to settle for fast or grippy -- you can have both. Compared to the Racing Ralph, the slightly more prominent blocks have been spaced a bit further apart to achieve more void space. This is part of the reason that it self-cleans in mucky stuff so you can continue to have traction to drive down the trail and keep the bike upright. The Rocket Ron uses Schwalbe's PaceStar Triple Compound, their fastest. Schwalbe engineers recognize that it's not possible for one compound to do it all, so they've combined three to optimize the tire's performance. The low-profile tread of the Rocket Ron is fast, and it's still an excellent cornering tire thanks to the U-Block shoulder tread. These tread blocks are angled at 20 degrees or so towards the outside of the tire. A small sipe doesn't quite divide the block, creating the "U" shape. They work to counteract the lateral forces endured when cornering to maintain traction and to keep the bike stable.This tire is designed to be tubeless ready (TL), which means you can say goodbye to pinch flats. A tubeless system allows you to run less air pressure, again enhancing the grip of the tire's tread. Better traction, less vibration, and no flats lead to a great ride. It's necessary to use a liquid sealant within the tire to seal the bead seat and to quickly seal thorn or debris punctures on the trail. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready is available in 26 x 2.1, 26 x 2.25, and 26 x 2.4" widths. Please note: because Schwalbe has optimized this tire to be lightweight, patching in the event of puncture is not recommended.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Wilco   Racer [Sep 12, 2017]
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, good as front tire: sufficient grip

Not to use as back tire, wears out, tire is too weak/soft. Took a bit more effort to setup tubeless

It's not an allround easy tire, but is has 3 big strengths: (1) low rolling resistance, I use the tire for smooth forest/sand tracks on my front wheel tubeless at about 1.5 bar. (2) the grip is sufficient to get to most track limits in my region with limited drift risk. I wouldn't recommend to use on rocky tracks and/ or steep declines/drops.(3) it's low weight relative to the grip it gives.
It took about a week to get it fully leaktight, I'd recommend taking the wheel out and shake well (see YouTube instruction video's) followed by a curvy ride or two or more. First ride I used a higher tire pressure to speed up the process (2-2.5 bar, but not on the road!! Else your knops will disappear before you know it) On my rear wheel I vary between a continental raceking (w/o protection) or speedking or racing ralph snakeskin. On my training wheels I have a snakeskin Racing Ralph evo mounted als front tire. Zero leaks after about 200km, with help of about ~ 80ml doc blue...

Similar Products Used: Racing Ralph Evo snakeskin, continental raceking/speedking protection, ...,
Russ   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2015]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to mount

Weak sidewalls. Snake bites and sidewall collapsing frequent.

I've had My Scott Scale for just over a year. I have gone through 4 tires. and 10 tubes. These tires are great for the first ride or two but after that the tread shows significant signs of wear. And the weak sidewalls encourage snake bite flats. I ride a medium size frame and with gear i weigh about 200lbs. Not sure how these work with lighter or heavier individuals. But im changing to the continental mountain king. these rocket ones seem like an Expensive ONE use race tire

F29Lefty   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2015]
Strength:

Insanely fast rolling, Very supple feel, Great grip, Good braking.

Price, climbing traction, durability.

I live in Idaho. This tire works great for the trails out here. This tire is lightning fast and you really appreciate it on long rides where it takes less energy to get going. Spools up quick and takes less energy to keep her spinning. The grip when ripping down decents is superb. There is some tire slip when starting a climb but usually hooks up good after that initial slip. Price is high and durability is low as a rear tire. But you get what you pay for. I don't mind buying a new tire more often if it keeps me out of the dirt. When the trail gets a little technical you want to watch you lines more then something like a Nobby Nic where you can just blow there sections. I come from a hardtail so picking good lines comes naturally. I was always a fan of big fat nobby tires until i rode this. Dang near the same traction or better on nice single track, and WAY FASTER!! I will definitely buy these again, but I am going to try the Racing Ralph next. Schwalbe's aren't cheap, but then again neither is a Mercedes... haha hope this review helps someone looking to get these tires. 2 Thumbs up.

Similar Products Used: 15' Nobby Nic
rich   All Mountain Rider [Aug 01, 2015]
Strength:

great on hard pack forest trail, handles well in sticky mud situations and tread cleans quickly. great grip over roots in the wet.

the rubber is too soft and wears quickly, i have had the tyres for 2 months, ridden about 600kms road, trail, un sealed roads and forest tracks in northern NSW Australia. I had 4 flats and 2 pinch flats on the back and a small puncture on the front. converted them to tubless no dramas. then had three gashes between 4 and 8mm on the rear tyre while descending over loose rock on a fire trail and got squirted with sealant. Spent 20 mins resealing (rotating tyre and slowly adding more psi) and rode home. the tread is also wearing really quickly on the rear, skidded to a stop on bitumen to avoid hitting a dog and there went one of the treads.

The tyres suit smooth, hard packed trails with no sharp rocks.

cdadaa   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2015]
Strength:

Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used.
Price.
Requires a tube.

Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used. I've had to do countless internal patches. Sealant ooze's through the sidewall they are so thin. I question these as tubeless (Racing Ralph included). They can't handle any sharp rock conditions without severe cuts on the sidewall and even the tread surface. In reality I paid $96 for a tubeless tire that requires a tube. Remind me why tubeless tires good? I will never buy Schwalbe's again. This is the first time ever I've written a review but felt compelled to do so to advise others.

Similar Products Used: Racing Ralph tubeless (with identical review), Rapid Rob tubeless (a little better), Nevegal, tubed.
Tommi   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2015]
Strength:

Ive ridden circa 1200 kms (750 miles) with these tyres on road and offroad, mostly forrest roads, but also tough rock roads. Rear tyre is clearly worn but still going strong, front tyre still in very good condition. Never had any issues, great tyre, great grip.

None.

Strongly recommended

Joost   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2015]
Strength:

it provides good grip on gravel, rocks and loose sand. They're light, but not worth the reduced durability

Have a flat every time I tike my bike out. Last four times I had flats, last time both front tire and back tire.

Got these tires on my new Scott Spark 750. Bike is amazing but Scott should really use different tires. These of Schwalbe are crap. Every single ride I took with them I had a flat. I ride with tubes not tubeless and am also not planning too. Will give it another go this weekend and if that doesn't work get rid of the Schwalbe's and put on some other tires. I'm not using the bike for racing, just for recreational riding. So want to have a tire that is durable.

75Denver   [Feb 01, 2015]
Strength:

Super light, tacky tire that holds great on hard pack damp conditions. Extremely fast rolling!

Tread construction, separation of casing, EXPENSIVE for what you get.

I'll start off with my rating of an overall 2. This tire earned an extra Chili because of its weight.

EVERYTHING related to material construction, awful! I put in under 30 miles on this set and noticed the sidewall treads beginning to chunk off. I talked to the shop who recommended them who was supposed to talk to their rep. Never heard back. Riding in the Northern Nevada semi-rocky terrain, I babied them over the rocky parts for fear of cutting the sidewall. After a couple hard nicks and nothing, I went back to my usual style of riding (semi-aggressive). In the end, I was left with a set of tires that had lost nearly all the sidewall knobs, a casing that separated (underneath lost knobs) and a wallet that took a hit without much reward. Don't buy these if your trails have small or medium size rocks…apparently these tires were built for hill biking rather than mountain biking.

FredNo   All Mountain Rider [Nov 01, 2014]
Strength:

Light, roll well on flat, dry, straight trails.

Terrible traction for climbing over rocks, roots and loose dirt.

I demoed a Scott Spark 29er that had these tires on it. I spun out climbing Bergen Peak Trail (about 10% average grade) in places that my 26er with Maxxis Ignitors or IRC Mythos tires never spun out (even when worn) even without shifting my weight for better traction. This is not a good tire for the hills of Colorado. I wouldn't even consider buying them.

Osco   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2014]
Strength:

My 27.5 X 2.25 looks and feels like a big volume tire so it does well in sugar sand.
Pitched hard over while cornering these tires are very predictable.

A bit slippery on wet roots but as long as you ride light it's not a problem.

I am 185 pounds with a 100oz of water in my back pack plus trail gear and ride gear.
They seems to have trouble if I run below 28 psi in the rear or below 27 out front.
At 30 psi front and rear they become predictable and hold just fine.