Schwalbe Rapid Rob Tire

• Tire Bead: Steel
  • PSI: 26 - 54 PSI

[Dec 14, 2017]
Laurie o

Strength:

Good grip for riding trails and mud and clay (as I found out last week)

3 punctures in the same tyre in 2 weeks is not much fun. The other tyre developed stress cracks on its 1st ride and was exchanged free of charge by the franchise dealer.

Will never buy Rapid Rob again. Bought my new Claudia Butler new was having a great 1st ride and enjoying my new purchase when a group member said "great bike shame about the rear tyre". On investigation stress fractures appeared adjacent to the knobs for the most of the circumference. No problem the shop changed it free of charge.
Within the next 2 weeks I had 3 punctures in the other tyre, now these tyres are supposed to be Kevlar reinforced - why bother? it's not working. I've learned my lesson so it's gonna cost me for better tyres now, but better than mending punctures in the rain and snow.

[Jun 30, 2017]
Lou Lomas

Strength:

Good cheap tire , rolls well on the tarmac whilst getting to the trails

Puncture resistant ???? I don't think so

Rabid rob is a good all round tire at the right price. Trouble is they are marketed as puncture resistant . I have never had so many punctures since fitting a pair. I find that to avoid "snake bite" punctures I have to run them at 50 psi which makes for an uncomfortably fast roll on steep downhill tracks. Don't think I would buy them again.

Smart sam

[Sep 17, 2015]
milliesand

Strength:

Came with the bike.
Helpin a complete NOOB gain confidence
Low cost replacement

???

Let's be honest, how much comparison can a total NOOB give to a tire? But what I found is that on hard-pack and jeep trails I'm able to pedal through loose sand and mud. Playing with air pressure 45 PSI and up was too much with tubes and my initial 280 pounds yet I could go down to under 25 PSI before getting snake bites.. After 3 months riding 12-15 hours/week I'm gaining confidence on cornering and braking, and learning to tell just how far to push the tires before losing traction.

I will need to replace the rear tire in another couple of months as the knobs are getting thin.

Oh, and it would be nice to blame how slow I am on the tires. Except as I get stronger the tires roll faster ;)

[Feb 05, 2014]
Terence

Strength:

The Schwalbe Rapid Rob is a great entry level bike tire at a reasonable price. It is a low resistance, fast rolling tire that serves light to medium trail riding needs very well, with a decent amount of grip and a reasonable amount of durability. The sidewalls of the tire also appear to be pretty durable as I have ridden several rock gardens with rocks slipping and hitting the tire with zero sidewall tears. As a front tire the Rapid Rob has served me well, and is more than suitable for the average weekend warrior that likes to get out on the trails once or twice per week. As for the speed, well, on my hardtail lets just say going down hill on these things was scary. Not because it did not grip or was not responsive, but because they roll so bloody fast I cannot really keep up. Rapid indeed Schwalbe, Rapid indeed. I ran the tire as a tubed tire at about 50 PSI and found it was versatile on all conditions, be they road or trail. All in all, good value for the price to performance range. They came stock on my Giant Talon 29er and served me well while they lasted.

The Rapid Rob is durable for the price, but not durable if you are the kind of person that rides trails almost everyday (like myself). I am also a heavy rider so this may have contributed to this, but I absolutely destroyed the center treads on my Rapid Robs on my rear tire within 3 months, and ransacked the center treads on my front tire in an additional 4 months. I got the feeling that my riding habits may be a bit too intense for them after they lost their ability to shed mud (due to a lack of knobs in the center), and began to crack, letting in rocks and resulting in two rear flats (grrrrrrrr). Thus, although the Rapid Rob performs very well for the price new, its performance and reliability take a nose dive the longer and more intensely you use them. Since I ride my bike almost every day the sun comes out, the lack of long term longevity has had me looking elsewhere to a tire that has better durability.

Oh and another thing, NEVER ride this product on thick sand...talk about a slide show. On mud new, it performs pretty well though.

Ultimately, the Rapid Rob is best suited for casual and beginner mountain bikers (and perhaps lighter mountain bikers hehe), due to its low entry price and its relatively good performance (good grip, good acceleration, good speed). However, for more intensive riding the Rapid Rob simply will not hold out for long, due to relatively quick wearing tread compounds. This is by no means a knock on the product however, since in order for me to get better durability and longer lasting tires, I have had to much much more than the Rapid Rob costs. Thus, the Schwalbe Rapid Rob has a place in the market: it is a do it all XC tire, just not a do it all again and again XC tire.

3 Chillis overall because the product is good but not outstanding while facing the test of time.
4 Chillis for value because this tire is set at a very good price and will make an excellent budget or beginners tire.

Kenda Small Block 8
Kenda Slant 6
Kenda Kinetics
Kenda Nevegal

[Jan 25, 2013]
Samuel

Strength:

Cornering, grip well on road. generally awesome on front

Lock up and you continue at the same speed, on the rear these are terrible for grip, wear down quite fast. terrible on rear

these tires came with my bike and well i've done about 400ks and the rear started showing the kevlar on some of the nobs so i rotated the tires and well alot better now, grip like crap on wet clay and any mud. the rear when braking just locks up and you continue at the same speed. on the rear these tires are terrible, on the front well i think im gonna keep them on the front and put a maxxis crossmark on the rear. cheap enough to rip up but i need something a bit more durable.

none first 29er

[Apr 24, 2012]
machine4321

Strength:

For the price, these tires are an incredible performer. They roll great and I have very little issues with loosing traction up hill. As far as cornering grip goes, I don't corner super fast so I can't vouche for that. They are a higher volume tire and I run about 30psi and have yet to fell the rim.

Side walls also seem pretty tough. I have about 200km on them and mostly pavement as I ride to work and back and they are not showing a lot of wear. And for the price of these I don't mind ($30 ea)

They are heavy. Just shy of 800g
Steel bead and low TPI may not work well for tubeless
That's all I can think of

Basicly I think it's the best tire going for the price. And when they are worn off I will probably buy another set.
You get the old racing Ralph tread pattern in a ceased case.