Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tire

Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tire

Nearly a decade ago, riders of that era's spindly XC bikes experienced the lightweight, low-profile, and high-volume ride of Schwalbe's Racing Ralphs. Chainstays lost paint, opinions swayed, and those twitchy XC bikes evolved into the trail-taming monsters that they are today. And during that...

[Apr 26, 2017]
John Hunt
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light weight and fast rollin

Fragile beyond belief. Never made it ten miles on multiple rides without a flat. And by far the hardest tire I've ever encountered setting up tubeless.

Garbage, will never by anything from Schwalbe again. Six rides and I've thrown them in the trash!

[Apr 18, 2017]
Wayne Tong

Strength:

I use it on the front, replacing a WTB Exiwolf. It has lower rolling resistant than the WTB Exiwolf, and seems to have very close handling (with is very good road holding and predictability) as the Exiwolf. It handles loose gravel, sandy trail, paved road with flying color.

I mainly ride on concert, asphalt, brick trail. packed sandy trail, and occassional gravel rocky patches. So I cannot comment on tree stump, sharp rock, and mountainous trails.

The tire is real noisy on sandy road. It sounds like one is crunching on sand :).

WTB Exiwolf, Michelin Wild Racer, Kenda Kilmax Lite, Specialized S-Works Renegade.

[Dec 28, 2015]
Andrew Eckel

Strength:

Very light, fast 29" rollers.

Expensive hoops, wear out quickly.

I've spent time astride both Schwalbe RR formats - 26-&-29er. Is there a 27.5 yet? The 26" edition was seriously lacking IMO; they arrived stock on a 2007 S-Works Stumpy, and were useless. I've employed the larger hoops on my 2012 Scalpel 29er and they've been sublime performers. At 25psi they roll all & everything. No complaints beyond the $90 price tag per tire.

Conti-XKing - Worthy.

[Dec 06, 2015]
2fst4u

Strength:

Light, good tread pattern and grip.

Sidewalls too thin.

I've had a love hate relationship with the racing ralphs. The weight and tread pattern are just right for XC racing (I'm reviewing the lightest version and the 26inch size and ran them tubeless) however the compromise with the thin sidewall construction make this tire unreliable. I ripped a side wall on the back last year during an important race and then the front this season during the last race of the year. My tire pressure and riding style never changed, just too weak of a tire to hammer through a trail at race speeds. I went with the ardent race and ikon from maxis (both with the exo and tubeless ready. They are for sure 50-80 grams heavier but well worth it instead of losing $80 in 2 races with the rr. The maxxis tires do not leak, aired up tubeless the first try and grip amazingly well with no flats or problems. These are now my go to tires.

Maxxis ikon, ardent race. Kendall karma

[Sep 24, 2015]
KellerwaldCrew
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Good grip, double defense is working good, good rolling

Heavy (double defense)

I bought the 27.5x2.25 Evolution Double Defense version several months ago and I really like it because the weight is acceptable and the tire is good for trail and road riding. In combination with a Nobby Nic in the front it makes you feel save on the track and even driving long distances on Asphalt is not a problem with this tyre in the rear. If you are a All Mountain Rider and use the "normal" roads as well I can recommend this tyre in combination with a Nobby Nic.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Double Defense Evolution

[Feb 21, 2015]
Scott
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

tire is very light and fast rolling

rips very easy too thin

i bought this tire to try out I had heard good things about the brand. Lucky for me I got this on sale. I can say it's very light, the bead on the tire is very tight. I seated the tire on tubeless carbon wheels first try. That is the only thing good I can say about the tire. I rode on it twice. The second ride while riding on 1/4 stretch of road a stick punctured the tire. It agent straight through between the tread. The sealent would not stop this leak. I had to put a tube inside. Unfortunately I rode another few miles on the trail and suffered a pinch flat with two holes in the tube. I was not riding hard just going down hill on a pretty normal trail for SoCal. In conclusion I would never buy these tires again. For the price at $80 a tire there is no excuse for them to fail like this on the second ride. I'm glad I got it on sale, maybe that is why!

maxxis Ikon

[Jan 04, 2015]
canuck_tacoma

Strength:

Non-Snakeskin.....Very predictable, light, and fast rolling.

Didn't like them tubeless...not enough support...sidewall too weak. It's a super light race tire so I can't really complain too much. I'm going to try the snakeskin version out because I like everything else about the tire.

It's a great tire for XC racing and if you use it for that. I find the sidewall too weak for my tastes so I will be trying the Snakeskin version next. Personally I would roll them with Double Protection and take the weight penalty if I could find them in stock. Hopefully the snakeskin is enough. I'll report back in a few months.

[Oct 15, 2014]
marco tarafa

Strength:

Great grip on wet and dry conditions

difficult to seal with the stans sealant and it came with some odd imperfections on the side wall.

This review is for the Liteskin version on 2.25 Racing Ralph. I had much trouble sealing this tire I ended up sticking in some water to be able to find all the side wall leaks. some say its tubeless ready but its not as the manufacture told me after I purchased. they say the orange sealant is better than the stans for this tire. there is no weight savings from the regular tubeless ready one that seals perfect. after finally finding and sealing all the holes it was stored for 2 days and then I went riding and lost 50 of the air while riding and now I cant find any holes? trying to return to LBS.

[Sep 21, 2014]
lsimoes

Strength:

Bought it on sales, so price
Low rolling drag

Too soft, and thin rubber!
Even using magic/rapid seal (whatever the version), it punctures a lot!
Never I had such problems with my old tires (not under production anymore)

:-(

I wouldn't recommend this tire to anyone

[Apr 03, 2014]
Neuroklinika

Strength:

Light, great rolling resistance, fast.

Thin sidewalls, corner knobs extreme wear.

Schwalbe RR EVO 29 2.1
This tire is made out of a very soft rubber compound but after 3-4 rides I noticed the rear tire becoming of age. I'm very heavy rider 250+ so I will try to be objective considering this fact. I guess its a good tire for the speed freaks out there but I would not recommend it for highly technical and climbing trails. It can work well as a rear but for low to mid weight riders. Rock gardens are not this tires specialty because of the thin sidewalls, also the corner knobs ware out very fast.