Ritchey Tom Slick Tire

If youre riding your MTB onThe road,Tom Slick is ideal. Fast rollingTread withTraction sipes works great on paved surfaces. 250-400 grams

sharkbait_au   Racer [Jul 07, 2011]
Strength:

Turns a mountain bike into an acceptable road trainer.

Disappointed with life of tire.

I was using the 1" comp tire. I ride 3 times a week. Generally speaking I was happy with the tires while they lasted, never had any problems, no punctures or cuts. My problem is that the tires have deformed after 3 months, at just over 600 miles use. It looks to me like there is plenty of rubber left, so I put it down to bad construction.

O. Emry   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2010]
Strength:

Decent, long-wearing road tire

Poor cornering

Sophisticated cyclists know that on pavement, true slick tires have better traction, wet or dry. The grooves on the sides of the Tom Slicks don't add any value (the tire is still pretty useless on loose surfaces) but screw up the cornering.

We got at about 2500 miles out of a 1.4" Tom Slick on the rear of the tandem, but have since gone back to Avocet FasGrip City tires, and since they're no longer available, I'm starting to use Schwalbe Kojaks. Both are true slick tires, with the latter available in 1.35 or 2.0" sizes. The Kojaks are about the same price as a Tom Slick and have incredible wet traction, but I don't yet know how long they last.

Similar Products Used: Avocet FasGrip City
Schwalbe Kojak
stephen_w_keller   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2010]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, high-pressure, predictable handling.

Routine cord failures.

I ride purely on the road and rarely take the bike on gravel or other abusive surfaces. Nevertheless, I've had three cord failures in the past six months. That was about 1100 miles of mostly winter and rainy season riding. One failure left a hole in the tread so large that even booting the tire with duct tape couldn't hold well enough to get me home. I like the tires when they aren't coming apart. They ride well and provide very predictable handling in most conditions, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of these.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Nimbus
eighthsamurai   Weekend Warrior [Mar 07, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, low rolling resistance, good adhesion on dry pavement.

Prone to flats, sketchy on sand/gravel patches, terrible fit on Crossmax rims.

This review is for the 26 x 1.4 size. I rode the Comp (wire bead) model mounted to Mavic Crossland wheels for 2 years in San Diego. The tires displayed low rolling resistance at 50-60 psi and provided predictable cornering on dry pavement. A more forgiving ride than the Specialized Fatboy. Scary loose on unexpected patches of sand and gravel. Barely passable adhesion in the rain, but I switched tires in the winter. After a number of goathead flats, I added tire liners, which added some weight, but I spent less time on the side of the road.

Last year, I switched to the Pro (folding bead) version and fought to mount them on Mavic Crossmax wheels with Spin Skin liners. Lots of soap and 100 psi and the bead finally seated with a major bang. For approximately 900 miles, no flats. Then the Spin Skins began their inevitable deterioration and I got my first flat. I couldn't get the tire off - the Kevlar bead was fused under the rim - and I carried my bike three miles to get home. Ten minutes with a bottle of soapy water and a 3/4" putty knife and I finally broke the tire loose. I was amazed I didn't destroy the rim.

While I like the ride quality and the low weight, this tire just doesn't work with the Crossmax rim. I won't risk being stuck 20 miles from home. Plan to try the Schwalbe's next.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Fatboy
ENYCECKK   Weekend Warrior [Sep 30, 2009]
Strength:

Fast Fast Fast ! U can beat any mountain biker with this 1 inch tire. ( pavement )

-Lost 2 inches of bike height

I was running with these tires today with a max speed of 34.9mph

These tires fits in my 21mm inner rim without a problem !

Similar Products Used: Continental Ultra Gatorskin
Harvey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2009]
Strength:

Fast. Quiet. Sticky cornering.

Hard to get on. Wear moderately fast. Average performance in wet.

1.4 K - Used for urban commutes. By far the best 26" street tire I have used in 15 years. Fast and quiet. Excellent ride. Corners predictably all the way to extreme angles. Serviceable on hard packed dirt or even gravel. A little slippery when wet. No flats in 12 months. Seems well made.

Similar Products Used: Tioga. IRC.
Martin (the Nutter)O Leary   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2009]
Strength:

FAST WITH GREAT CORNERING SPEED
QUIET AND LIGHT.A very cheap conversion to make a mountain bike fast on tarmac.

NONE total satisfaction

10% faster than the orignal tires.
Now I can keep up with bikes 5 times the price of my tenere.

Similar Products Used: Wolfrace on my old Carlton
and numerous brands on my KTM Adventure 640
abarth99   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, quiet, fast, light, fast, good cornering, fast, cheap, did I mention fast.

Skinny tires on mountain bike just doesn't look right. Need skinny new tubes.

I got the 26x1.4, pumped it to the max 85psi. Only put 40 miles on it, so far so good. Rode over some grass area, some broken glass, some loose rocks on pavement, no problem yet. Only time will tell how they will hold up long term. It doesn't feel fast, but my computer said I was about 3 mph faster than the Specialized Hemisphere for the same section. May be I am stronger than last week or may be is the tire and the big ring.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hemisphere
JT   [May 01, 2008]
Strength:

Quiet, great rolling tire, high pressure (for a MTB)

None for me.

This tire has been great for me. I've gone through them over the years but mainly because I would swap out the tires every year (after approx. 2000 miles a year). I haven't really flatted out and it's been a solid tire for me.

I love the narrow tire, high pressure and easy roll. I don't know why people have had so many problems with these but, since I'm putting new tires on the MTB and SS tonight, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Similar Products Used: Continental T&C
Daniel   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Unlike most slicks, Ritchy didn't lie. These are fast, old-fashioned, dry-feeling ("dusty") rubber compound that is able to go extremely fast on road and gravel. Gravel? No kidding. Minimum safe size for gravel is 1.375 inches, and these are 1.4. They also tested well on gravel downhills, handling exactly like a 3-speed flying easily over the rocks; however, the ride was far more comfortable than expected--very cushy. It is also a true road-speed tire.
What impresses me most is that Ritchy did NOT lie about the speed. An unadvertised feature is that there's been no flats at all.

Due to the super-fast rubber compound, they can skid slightly on wet pavement. This isn't enough to fall over, but there is a bit of skid.

Even though made of old-fashioned fast rubber, the tire is slightly small for that. It could use a bit of tread and a bit more size. But, still, the product is so well done that it is hard to find any reason to complain.

The pressure range listed is for hook-rim wheels. If you're not sure about your rims, keep the pressure under 72 psi. This should not be a problem as the tires do not require that much pressure. Just a mention.

The Tom Ritchey slicks are soft, cushy, and the fastest tire in their size. The old-fashioned rubber compound that gives the speed also gives a slight skid. I'm not complaining about it, but just mentioning it. I have NOT fallen because of it, not even in the rain, because the skid is only an inch or so.
The size of 1.4 is important because it is the minimum safe size for gravel roads. In fact, they work unexpectedly well on gravel.
They're absolutely superb on pavement, and I have never had a flat with them. I have been using 1 to 1.5 size performance inner-tubes. I used them on a bike project that I wanted to have all of the comfort features of a 3-speed, and it wanted it to go very fast. It does. I purchased this because of the traditional tire width. And, I got a very nice surprise.
The only problem I experienced is that I do not now have the gears to push these tires to maximum speed. Previously, I was using 26x2 size. Smaller tires reduce gearing--of course, but they give you better hill-climbing. I had already planned to install roadie-size gearing anyway. Current gears are 50x14, and I'm going to get 52x11 so I can see just how fast these tires are. ;)
If you're considering a slick, buy these!

Similar Products Used: Panaracer T-Serv (26x1.75, no flats, sticky marketing-hype siliconized rubber and horribly slow--700Cx28mm and narrower works great, but the sticky rubber is a big mistake at 26x1.75),
Schwinn Typhoon Cord (26x2.15, NO flats at 40psi front and 60psi rear, dry rubber, frighteningly fast at 23 to 29 MPH, will slow slightly if too much air in front tire),
Chen Sching (26x1.75, flats dry rubber, fast).