Ritchey Motovader Tire

Motovader

Aggressive 2 stage VFA tread design for traction in extreme conditions • Plush 2.4 and 2.6 widths for freeriding, DH and dual slalom • Reinforced knobs for predictable all-around performance • SC, Pro and Comp versions • 26x2.1, 26x2.4 and 26x2.6

Tony   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2003]
Strength:

* Excellent climbing traction
* Low rolling resistance
* Predictable Cornering (on the back)
* Lightweight for the size

* Pro version doesn't have strong enough sidewalls for long-term durability in Colorado rock gardens
* Braking traction on the back could be better

This review is for the Ritchey Motovader Pro 2.4. I am very happy with this tire overall as it provides the best combination of traction and air-volume I've found. The tread pattern provides good stick to smooth rock while still having enough paddle to power through sand and loose gravel. The side-knobs bite well leading to good cornering confidence. It has a very progressive feel in corners which allows me to approach the limit safely. It is the largest tire I can fit on the rear of my Switchblade. The 2.25 Geax Sturdy is too tall, the 2.1 Sturdy isn't big enough and the Tioga Factory DH wore out too fast. I've been riding the MV about 10 rides and it seems to be wearing ok, but a little fast (probably about 1/3 worn out now) and I have 1 moderate scuff on the sidewall which may cause premature tire death. I would reccomend buying the SC casing model for the rear if you ride rock gardens.

I do not intend to try the MV on the front as I am 100% happy with the WTB Weirwolf 2.5.

Similar Products Used: * Geax Sturdy 2.25 and 2.1
* WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4
* Continental Vertical Pro 2.3
* Tioga Factory DH 2.1
Brian   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2007]
Strength:

Great dry traction, cushy and comfortable

Questionable in wet and mud. Not exactly light weight.

This is my first experience with a wide/high volume XC or all-mountain tire. I love it on my fully rigid ride. I run the tire around 22 psi with a tube (I'm 180lbs) and have yet to pinch flat (after 3 months). This tire is huge. It almost doesn't fit between the chainstays. It's so much more comfortable than even the 2.1" tire I was riding, and way better than the 1.95 I tried first. It's almost like having an inch of suspension in the rear, though no one will confuse it with a rear shock. It hooks up great in the dry, clay conditions in eastern VA. I'm not sure how it would perform in the wet or mud. I highly recommend it for the comfort value.

mtb rider   Weekend Warrior [Oct 01, 2006]
Strength:

Grippy, corners well and powers up climbs. I agree with other reviewers on this point.

The tread is huge, so rolling resistance is significant. Tread wears rather quickly (4 months of weekend off-roading, weekday urban commuting have cracked and square off the tread). Commuters should look elsewhere.

Great off-road tire, poor commuting tire.

Jay Foerster   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2003]
Strength:

Grip,Grip,Grip

Rolling resistance on hard surfaces

I recently bought the 2.1 motovaders because I do some races every now and then so I wanted a ´´thin,fast´´ tire.My first reaction:Dissapointment!They don´t roll as easy as I´ve thought they would.But then I took a trip into the italian Dolomites where I live..and changed my mind!The Grip is fantastic,even in mud.I feel more secure than I did with my 2.25 big jim`s!So if concrete isn´t your main playground...I highly recommend this tire with the unusual profile!

Similar Products Used: schwalbe big jim 2.25/continental explorer pro 2.1
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2004]
Strength:

Runs where you point it, and doesn't get bogged down in anything. There are deep ruts filled with sand around here...if you plow through the sand, the Motovader doesn't stop and it'll haul the front tire up before you slip. If you want to run along the side of the rut on the edge of the tread, you can do that too. They've been unstoppable so far!

Nothing yet!

Can't really go wrong with this tire. I was looking for something that would keep traction in pretty much everything including deep sand, and this is it. Fort Ord has nearly everything you could really get stuck in or have to climb, and the Motovader does it all well.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Jones AC - they suck.
Andi   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2003]
Strength:

2.4: a lot of volume. Thread design looks nice.

Since it is obviously not intended for DH, is rather heavy for xc, touring, light freeride.

First of all, these are rather heavy, 800g. Relatively low rolling resistance (but not less than the Z-Max Millenium 2,35!). Hooks up nicely. Big asset: comfortable. The high volume draws the fangs of the ultra hard oversized frame. Those who have the Z-Maxes in use, have no reason to cry. It really is very difficult to beat the Z-Maxes (e.g. Millenium 2,35 or 2,1 WCS) as touring tyres. Motovaders are rather cheap for Ritcheys.

Similar Products Used: actually all Ritchey with knobs, Conti Vertical Pro, Michelin S,
Alexander   Downhiller [May 01, 2003]
Strength:

-It's HUGE and very, very comfortable!
-Very hucky =) Hucks ANYTHING
-Rather cheap

-These wont live as long as Nokians, not as Maxxis, not as many other tires - these are soft and very hucky so they'll be worn out very fast - in 1 season probably... =(

What can I say? 3-4 times cheaper than Nokian ones, uncopromisingly one of the most hucking and good-on-turns tires! MUST buy for its price! You know, big assets are that these are wide - 2.4 and well looking out - it's good to hear while riding when people show on your tires and ask: "What a f*ck are these!?" =) Yes, and there is a small hint: DONT buy usual ones, buy COMP version - much lighter, but the same quality...
Ritchey well done! MUST BUY! 5 onions

cRock   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2003]
Strength:

-It's big (running the 2.4)
-Pro version is not too heavy given the size
-reasonable price
-tread design gives solid rear traction

-rubber is a litttle soft and wears quicker than some, I guess that's the price of performance.
-good in mud, not great

This a big, mean knobby. Around here the trails are criss-crossed with big slick roots that can send the rear of my hard tail skipping and spinning up steep climbs without some serious rubber take the edge off. The 'vader 2.4 has plenty of volume and grip to keep the rear end anchored to the trail. This tire is "a purist's rear suspension". Rolling resistance is pretty low considering these tires are big and burly.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Smoke Comp 2.1, WTB Motoraptor 2.1
marco alberio   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2003]
Strength:

. price (gift)
. big section and big volume(2.4)
. traction
. weight

I have to find one...

My initial fear was about mud, 2.4 tires cannot compete to 1.9 (or less) tires. After a tour in mud I'm surprised, motovader *can* compete with my other "thin" tires in mud (take care about my previous tires). About other terrain motovader goes smoothly, they absorb little (little means 2 inches) asperity like roots, stones...(where suspension works partially). Now I have another bike, and this due 2 tires only !
The rolling resistance is slightly worst than ZMax or ZED, but the size must have some drawback.
I mounted the front tire in reverse rolling direction, this improves braking.
Take care about "your rigth" pressure, these tires are strongly influenced by this, perform many tests to find the best pressure for you.
I use the bike for Enduro/light freeride, I found *my* tires...

Similar Products Used: . Ritchey ZMax Millennium 1.9
. Ritchey ZED 1.9
. Ritchey ZED race 2.1
Luca   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2003]
Strength:

I have bought the 2.4 Pro version..they are so comfortable and very confidence inspiring.They are cheap too.I think they are perfect for light freeride.

none found yet

I found these tires to be very goog in every situation I have tried them ...I dont know about mud since it is not raining for a while and these tires are new..I am very happy and I think I would raccomend these ones to anybody is asking me for a light freeride tire.They are wide,light,and comfortable when you have to move to the pavement to reach the woods...They dont sound like a tank rolling on the road.I think Tom has done a very good work witht hese ones...Abd they cost a lot less than many others.

Similar Products Used: Michelin hot s(not happy with them),Hutchinson Mosquitos 2.3(good allround tire..but a bit weak)Maxxis Mofo DH(very good but a bit too hardcore for my style)