Ritchey Elevader Tire

• Rear-specific VFA tread design • Paddle-style knobs for ultimate climbing, braking and accelerating traction • WCS, Pro and Comp versions • 26x1.9 or 26x2.1

soccerjett   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2008]
Strength:

Fast Rolling, Cornering, Light, Climbing

Less Volume?

These tires (rear) are the best for giving you speed and cornering control. You will power slide around the corners but still have control of the bike if you have enough balls to do it. They never feel sketchy. The paddles practically lift you up the hills.

I had a WTB tire on the back that I really liked but it was worn out so I pulled this of my SS. I forgot how sweet this tire is. Back to eBay to look for some more!

Similar Products Used: Continental Survivals, Spec. Adrenaline, WTB tires, etc
Aljaz   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2003]
Strength:

Good control, excelent climbing (even now when it has almost zero profile). Had no punctures (yet).

Very hard to mount it on the rim (have to use aluminium levers, because plastic one bends)

I have a PRO version of this tire, which came with my original bike setup. For everyday use it's perfect, for racing, it's a bit too heavy (WCS would be better i guess)

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Z-Max Millenium 1.9, IRC Mythos
Ryan Baldassaro   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2007]
Strength:

Fast and super Light! Corners superbad and hooks up nicely in the hardpack.Running a 1.9 and the sucker takes off under power.

Better be sitting when climbing,or you'll lose traction w/ the 1.9 have a 2.1 and its somewhat better. A total BEYOTTCCH to pull off a rhyno lite, I suggest another rim/tire combo

IF you can still find these and race, buy em! I got mine fairly cheap and dont regret it. Very fast tire and the excavader/elevader combo is super fast and seriously holds the lines under the hardest descents (conyers olympic mtb course). Extremely light. This is a rear only like the others said and has a tendency to wear fast in the middle but the knobs held up well. Your but will pay w/ the 1.9(not much cush) but no pinch flats yet.

Similar Products Used: nevegals, rampages, mythos, exi's, excavader
Justin Murray   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2007]
Strength:

This tyre grips well when climbing. The WCS version is very light.

Can slip a little when in the granny ring and standing... but most tyres will in this situation.

If you can get it cheaply (as I did on eBay), buy it right away.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Z-Max WCS.
Justen   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

Fast, light, grippy

The Kevlar bead is HORRIBLE to get on and off of the rim. I can't believe that I didn't bend my rim or break a tire lever on this stupid tire. I nearly took a knife to it yesterday while changing over to my slicks...

I don't recommend this tire. You can get the same performance out of a lot of other tires without the headaches or the quick wear.

Similar Products Used: IRC, Michelin
Guillaume   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2005]
Strength:

Climbing - Excellent Motricity

Stick on asphalt

I bought this tire in PRO version, 2.1 size for a rear use.
I first used it on asphalt and my first feeling was hearing the noise of knobes-resistance.
I read about the rolled very fast like semi-slick, that's a bit exagerated. Maybe the 1.9 is less resistant, I chose 2.1 for more comfort, they should roll much faster when they'll get a little bit used.
Actually they get their total skills in real XC, riding in mountain, rocks, mud, they reveal a fantastic motricity, a great climbing capacity / low resistance ratio.
Always in contact with ground, rarely sliding... traction traction, no energy loss.
I wonder why Ritchey stop commercialized them in 2005, maybe to replace them by more polyvalent (Rear/Front) Excavader?
Whatever, the Elevader is for me an excellent specific rear tire.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Smoke, Ritchey Z-Max
Rich   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight (actual 472 grams), super strong climbing power, durable construction, great on dry, hard, loose or stoney surfaces, great on wet roots and wet slickrock, releases mud quite well.

Slides a bit in slick mud while cornering.

I currently run this 1.9 WCS Elevader with a Maxxis Minotaur 380 front tire. This combo is killer! There is now nothing this bike won't climb as long as my legs have the power to push the pedals. This rear tire has yet to spin on me. It is not as light as my front tire/tube combo but I am running a Ritchey liteweight 130 gram tube in it to make up for some of the weight difference (On the front I use a slime 216 gram tube). For you weight weenies, my front tire/tube combo weighs 599 grams and my rear tire/tube combo weighs 602 grams! I just bought an extra Elevader WCS tire just in case I can't find them later when this one wears out. The only weak performance parameter of this rear tire is when encountering slick mud in fast turns. The tire does have a tendency to get squirrely on this type of surface while cornering. Hit this stuff straight on, or in a climb, and it handles it with ease. I feel this trade-off is acceptable considering how strong this tire performs on most every other surface type you will encounter . This tire gets my highest ratings!

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Minotaur 380, WTB Moto Raptor, Panaracer Dart and Smoke.
Jim   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2003]
Strength:

EleVader: Richey WCS 1.9 rear specific $49 and 490 g’s fantastic tire, true light weight, rolls fast and with good traction in wet/dry condition compared to Hutchison Pyphon Lite. Good side bite wet rocks/roots and didn’t plug up in the wet, plus better in sand. Didn’t mount easily to non UST rims using Stan’s NoTubes. I would rate traction as 25% better then the Phython’s and equal in speed. Good-looking tire/tread patter and rolls true, straight with no tread wander during rotation. Can’t describe dry conditions results yet here in CT, can’t wait!

none identified

Excellant tire, added confidence in all situations

Similar Products Used: Hutchison Python Lites and Alligator
Alexandre   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

Pretty light, low resistance, good as a commuter tire (tarmac and gravel), very cheap price (Pro version, 10$ on eBay)

Quite scary when things get slightly muddy (you need to go straight or you will slip). They wear very quickly, too quickly in my opinion. After 2 rides I was already missing 10 side knobs... The kevlar bead is a MAJOR pain to unmount. I snapped 3 plastic tire tools trying to take it off and almost bent my precious rim.

You will need metal tire tools and lots of patience/luck to unmount the Elevader... Believe me, this is a MAJOR drawback, especially when you need to fix a tube puncture on site. The tires are really not good all-around and slip easily if you encounter wet terrain. I would steer clear unless you are a serious weight junky!