Ritchey CrossBite Tire

CrossBite

Ritchey CrossBite

Paul W.   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2017]
Strength:

Worst traction of any tire I have used.

Seventeen years ago, user Emil wrote his review of these tires. He told you about how they slip in wet or dry conditions.
They came stock on my 1994 Bianchi Boardwalk. I rode them for a few months and all seemed good. One day, I saw construction site at a bridge up ahead. The worker flagged me through, sending me to the opposing lane, which he shut down. I hurried up a bit, to get out of the opposing lane and after I cleared the bridge and the work site, swung the bike to the right to get back where I should be.
In broad daylight, on a straight-away, on a clean, dry road, the bike went out from under me. I got a pretty serious case of road rash, but luckily, was only about ten miles from home.
I will never buy or use another Ritchey product as long as I live.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager SR1, Hutchinson Top Slick, IRC Smoothie
bibecile   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2008]
Strength:

Long wear, low rolling resistance, adapts to most any surface except deep mud

Ugly at the end. Bead fell apart, two blowouts.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN MOUNTING - BEADS ARE VERY THIN.

Great service and just about perfect for the job it was designed to do - all around, predominantly road use. Probably close to 2,000 miles in 8 - 9 years use, on pavement, railroad beds, hard pack gravel, even a little snow in which they do surprisingly well. Pretty low rolling resistance and noise for a tire that still has some bite and lasts. Just be careful mounting; I found (to my dismay) it's verry easy to get a rim pinch, especially with lightweight tubes. Check your work.

Similar Products Used: TOM Slick, panasonic
KH Wong   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

low rolling resistance
good grip
nice sound

these are great tires for city use, yet they are able to handle rough terrain.
what i like best is the sound it makes while on the move.
pls mail me if u have any experience with the 1.1in tire, mine is 1.4.

Similar Products Used: michelin wildgripper city 1.5
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2000]
Strength:

Fast and quiet.

Not for real rough stuff.

I use the 1.4" Crossbite tires. For me, they are a perfect
balance between comfort, speed, and grip. If you don't take
your Mountain bike on single-track, but instead ride mostly
on paths and roads (even if dirt or gravel), then these
are the tires for you. I also recommend them for cross
racing on a dry course. Not too expensive either. $17 from
Cambria.

Similar Products Used: Various
paul   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2000]
Strength:

Great traction on wet asphalt and hardpack, good traction in snow and mud if its not deep.

Sidewalls are butt-ugly, I black em out with road grime on day one.

I use the 1.4 inch tire year around for commuting and just bought my second set. Great acceleration and speed on pavement, and enough bite to shortcut through the woods. No flats for the first 14 months(1900 miles)with no liners, then one or two a year from glass and blackberry thorns.

Similar Products Used: assorted
stephen   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

very light (Kevlar bead), very fast, ok grip offroad

cornering on loose surfaces

The Crossbite 1.1 is a great road tyre and an okay hardpack tyre if one is careful of rocks and loose corners/sand. It works better than you might expect off-road, although it is NOT a dirt tyre. For commuting, touring with occasional (careful) off-road use it is ideal. Very light, low rolling resistance, great acceleration. Not the best tyre for sand, gravel or rocky terrain...

Similar Products Used: various
Geoff   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 05, 1999]
Strength:

low rolling resistance
good wet weather traction
good off-roadability
long wear

get a lot of glass shard flats
ugly gum sidewall

Good, fast commuting tire. Low resistance continuous, ziggy center tread.
Good traction in rain. Better traction in gravel/sand than cross-k or grand canyon. Even has a good bite in up to 8in snow (not ice) because of toothy cut-outs.
Good off-road traction, too (never ridden in mud).
On my routes the tire eats a lot of glass, so use tire liners (I use the slime liners).
I give it 5 stars for function, but subtract 1 star for poor sidewall appearance.
Ugly gum sidewall has uneven circumfrance and will obviously look grimey in city
riding, should have plain blackwalls or brownwalls like contis.

Similar Products Used: avocet cross-k 1.9
continental grand canyon 2.0
Emil   Racer [Jun 22, 2000]
Strength:

Hmmm, well okay, they run easily and are quiet.

Wet grip is TERRIBLE! I couldn't believe that I was getting wheelspin on wet asphalt. PATHETIC compound.
Dry grip ain't nothing to sing for either.

Threw them away after I discovered the wet-road wheelspin. Might be okay if you don't go out in the rain, and don't like going round corners at interesting speeds - wet or dry. I need tyres that give me confidence, unprovoked slip on wet asphalt? Not for me thank you.

Similar Products Used: Semi-slicks from Continental, Tioga(equally lame), Vittoria, Specialised, Vredestein, MICHELIN (Wins every time!)
Buckley Heaven   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2004]
Strength:

Very quiet. Low rolling resistance. Sounds great.
Much quicker than the K-mart (Walmart) 1.5's on my girlfriends identical bike. It's perfect for what I use it for - odd commuting and weekend bike track rides.

Grip in the wet and corners isn't the best.

The 1.1 is the perfect commuting tyre with very good speed and acceleration. I have semi slicks for dirt trails so I have best of both worlds.
Highly recommended tire if you plan on doing a lot of commuting with your mountain bike.

I'm deducting 1 star overall because I'd like more control in the wet. But overall very satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Wal-mart/K-mart 1.5's. Michelin something or other 1.5. This kills them all in overall speed.