Panaracer Rampage Tire

Rampage

Hot newTread pattern from Panaracer in 26" or 29" sizes. Lightweight folding kevlar bead, with ZSGTread compound for outstanding grip and durability. 26" - 700 grams, 29" - 788 grams All-mountain, all-conditionsTread pattern High air volume casing 35-55 PSI

pigeonfarmer1   All Mountain Rider [Nov 05, 2014]
Strength:

not too hard to mount onto rim.

Feel "hard" and ricochet off larger loose rocks and roots more than other tires I've ridden.

Maybe something is the matter with the way I'm riding after seeing the 5 hot chili's reviews. Their experience is not what I've experienced. I'm running them on the rear at 32 lbs. pressure and with tubes. I live in Utah and ride on clay/rocks and loose rock and baby heads with major climbs mostly x-country on single track. The tire seems "hard" and doesn't seem compliant with the riding surface. I am being bounced around a lot and find maintaining traction a problem. Utah being an arid state, doesn't present a lot of opportunity to ride in the wet. Out of respect, I don't ride in the wet, as it wrecks a clay single track. (HINT) I am looking for another tire which will perform for me.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer cinder 2.1 (Please bring them back!) trail bears, Kenda Nevegal tom Tomac 2.1, WTB moto raptor 2.4. Specialized controls.
jjcools   [Feb 19, 2014]
Strength:

Solid tire for a good price, size seems fine on wider rims (29er version).

Tends to wash out a little in the front if you are on dry composite type dirt like in the desert.

I have had these tires for a couple of seasons now and have run them tubed and tubless with no problems. I really like the tire when the dirt is somewhat damp or in higher altitude forest climates. The mud has a tendancy to cake on these knobs which was no good for my rear tire since the clearance was not abundant so I swapped out the rear for a smaller Conti tire.

I moved to Vegas a few months ago and the grip on the hard desert dirt is not as good but still acceptible. The rocks have not destroyed the tire over the last few rides so that is good.

thegoodword   [May 15, 2013]
Strength:

Can run tubeless despite being a non UST tire.

Heavy with rolling resistance

I ran them with tubes and had to run 38psi to get optimal traction. I run them at 33-35psi tubeless with great success. If you are looking for traction this is your tire. These are not a race tire, but a rider's tire. I am currently running the non-tubeless Rampage with Stan's sealant on Sun/Ringle/Stan's Black Flag wheels and Stan's ZTR Flow rims. About the time they no longer will hold air on a tubeless rim, the knobs are worn down and need replacing anyway.

Jeff   [Mar 14, 2013]

HEAVY, false advertising

This tire measures out at 2.0 with a digital caliper. Supposed to be 2.35...not even close. 800grams for a 2.0 tire is totally unacceptable

thoe99   Racer [May 04, 2012]
Strength:

kevlar reinforcement, grippy on pavement

slightly higher rolling resistance, slightly heavier

I bought a set of these tires mainly to combat my flat tire issue. In FL, there are thorns everywhere and I would average one or two flat tubes every time I went off-roading. I then tried tire liners. That cut my chances down in half, as I was still getting punctures where the liners were not covering. I finally bought these kevlar tires and have not had a flat since (3 months now).

These tires grip and corner incredibly well on pavement. They're pretty loud on pavement or packed dirt roads. Since they run 2.35 (they're actually 2.25 measured), they theoretically have more surface area that hits the ground, which means more rolling resistance. I can kind of feel it, versus my previous set of tires, but it's been well worth the trade-off of no flat tubes.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Small Block8 29x2.1 with Mr. Tuffy tire liners
xfimpg   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2011]
Strength:

Stable feeling, cornering, grip.

None.

Unbelievable tire. Biked for 10+ hours these past 2 days and never lost grip once. Absolutely stoked about these tires. Replaced XC Fire Pro 2.1 with these in a 2.35 and they are incredibly responsive, stable ride, and corner like on rails.
Very easy to install on rims, contrary to the XC Fire Pros which are a PITA.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer XC Fire Pro 2.1
hodaddy2001   Downhiller [May 29, 2011]
Strength:

If your weak at trailside tube repair buy these you will be an expert after a couple trail runs

Wash out anywhere anytime no warning, If you sneeze they will pinch flat

If your putting these kinda pricey tires to ride back and forth to work or I dont know running to the store to grab some bread great. The occasional light trail ride with the Wife great. Anything where you might need some trust in your grip forget about it they will fail you. I really tried to give them a fair shake. I put them front and back. I have washed on all terrain, Pinch flatted too many times to count. I tried different tubes, Running different pressures can not find the right combination except Replace them

Similar Products Used: Intense DC,Fro Lites,Minions,Holy Rollers Too many to carry on
rockcrusher   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

This is a great all arounder tire. The volume is good, the grip is predicable and the compliance is a perfect.

Review based on 29er version.

I never really found any.

I like this tire, it is easy to set up tubeless, had nice volume and the grip is predicable in both cornering and climbing/braking. I used these for at least 9 months at a time without the wear getting to the point where I noticed a degradation in performance.

Some say they don't roll well but I found them no less laborious to roll as the Geax Saguaro which is often said to be a good rolling tire.

I generally rode the front tire in reverse of the rear with the rear set to climb and the front set to brake.

dysonsphere   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2011]
Strength:

Grips like I am glued to the ground. I was astonished by how at one me, the bike and the ground were when I took them cross country with it wet and muddy.

None yet found

I am very happy with them. I felt like I could ride horizontally on a wall and they'd keep me attached. I suspect there are better known tyres out there but I have no idea how a tyre could keep me more attached to the planet than this does.

Similar Products Used: None to speak of
nickcarll   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2010]
Strength:

Traction. these things hook up and don't let go. tough as nails

a bit heavy and a bit slow but the hookup like crazy so who cares. seem to wear fast.

bottom line is this kids I bought these because a buddy bought nev's and loved them. I bought the rampages because they are a tad cheaper. I run them the direction they say front with the rear flipped for traction and since mounting these bad boys up I have cleared stuff the previous tires have slid out on. The rampages hook up in everything I've thrown at them. going up rock faces is one place where these things really shine for me. there is a section on a local trail where you ride a short distance, 6-7 feet, across the slope of a rock and on to the top of it, Rampages stand their ground while other people i ride with slip.
Rampages are also tough as hell i ride on alot of jagged rock, and my local trail system is also a party spot for kids IE a ton of broken glass. I have yet to get a flat because of either one. Rode these in the winter in maine also. hooked up nicely on snow. better then expected.