Panaracer Mach SK Tire

Panaracer Mach SK Tire

Panaracer Mach SK

[Dec 10, 2008]
verlon

Strength:

Price, Looks, Low Rolling Resistance, Quiet on Tarmac, Durable.

Sketchy Threshold of traction. Tires will let go without warning when pushed hard on Tarmac.

Work good, Low rolling resistance, pretty fast on dry/hard dirt. Not so great in muddy or snowy condions. Great Price. Only drawback is the sketchy aggressive paved cornering. appx 600 miles, no issues with tires, rear showing some wear.

Tioga Factory XC, Nevegal

[Mar 01, 2002]
frost

Strength:

light,fast,good traction for short knobbies.

little scetchy at high speeds.

this tire is an excellent tire for what it was meant to do. its not a freeride take it to the extreem type of tire.it packs up in the mud easily,and feels a bit unpredictable at high speed.but for cross country rideing at a good pace this tire performs very well. it has good traction for a tire with such small knobbies. acceleration on these tires is excellent because they are light, and have almost no rolling resistance. I thought these tires would suck, but they actually impressed me. they're also great for the road. by the way these are 127 caseing version.

specialized sl.

[Apr 02, 2004]
Diego Hall

Strength:

Smooth on pavement, handles dirt just as well. Very nice tracking on hardpack.

Deep mud - but, hey, this is a semi-knobby! What do you expect???

I think these are my favorite tires ever! I ride on pavement during the week and in the woods on the weekend. I have been searching for a long time for tires that could do both. I think these are perfect if you are riding like me. These tires are REALLY cheap - which kind of made me nervous - but I love them. Very quiet and smooth on pavement (you can ride sitting up with no hands and the bike doesn't wander around). The only time they ever slipped on me in the dirt was on very wet Georgia red clay. I am not sure anything would have made it up that hill without slipping! Give them a try if you want to ride roads and trails. They are so cheap you can give them away if you don't like them.

Never used a small knobbed tire before. I have Panaracer Mach SS on one bike. I had IRC Pirannha Pro's on this bike before this.

[Sep 10, 2001]
Bill Haflidson

Strength:

Fast rolling. I notice a one or two gear difference over regular nobby tires on gravel roads.
Great performance on hardpack.
Corners real nice
Works well in all dry conditions.
Durable, I have never had a problem.

Clogs up in mud.

Great tire for road, hardpack and grass conditions. Only need to switch it off for real muddy conditions.

Smoke, Velociraptor

[Sep 28, 2005]
Umar

Strength:

Cheap. Perform well and quitely on tarmac. Grip strong on climbs, and wet trails.

Sinks a little bit more than I expected on sandy trails. It clears the mud during the ride, suprisingly! However, I have to clear the mud right after ride, if not it stuck there between the knobs. Couldn't buy it anymore, I think it is no longer in production.

Before entering my favourite mountain trail, I will pass 3 climbs on tarmac for about 2.5km. No other tyres perform better both on the tarmac and the mountain trail. I also got twice 2nd place in local MTB cross country events using the Mach II SK(both front and rear).

Continental Competition Pro, Kenda Kozmik, Kenda Short Tracker, Maxxis

[Mar 18, 2002]
Charlie Devine

Strength:

rolls fast
smooth ride on pavement
good raction on most conditions

heavy
poor reliability
was loose on rim

This was a great tire before it tore.
I was just riding along over this square curb and it ripped.
I do this all the time with my bike. I have ridden Panaracers for eight years. Something similar happened to the front tire. Well, I used some rim tape and taped up the gash from the inside. No, I didn't ride a ripped tire. I gave it away. Por fella. I insited his old tires were better than my torn ones. But he took them anyway. If I ever see that guy again I will take his bike and put my OEM Tiogas on it. Traction with those sucked but this guy only needed a street bike.

Only two steaming horse turds for value. It is a wonderful semi-slick before you break it. I would have liked to pay half as much. I might get some more if I find them cheap.

Only two steamers overall. I forgot which, but one tire ripped (SS or SK) and the other one (SSor SK) just bulged out and came off the rim one day. No, when I remember that I will never use this tire again. Did I mention they fit very loosely on the rim? It was not my good Velocity rim! Maybe it was a bad inner tube. I don't care because neither tire nor tube is still on my bike.
$5 is a good price for this tire.

panaracer smoke/dart combo

[May 23, 2000]
SGT ROCK

Strength:

Price
Fast
Fairly light
Climbs well for semi-knob

Weak sidewalls

The performance of this tire was quite good - had no problem cleaning the steepest climbs in the two XC races I used them in. The real problem is sidewall durability - after a mere ten hours use, I had to use a tire boot to patch a sidewall puncture. Examination showed that the tire had suffered three or four other abrasions that could have produced the same result. The terrain ridden was not very rocky, so the conclusion must be that the sidewalls are weaker than Yankee beer. Strange, because I have had nothing but good experience with Panaracer Smoke tires.

Bontrager SS have proven to be very durable, even though their tread is much thinner. Go with Bonti if you need a fast rolling tire that has to last more than a few hours.

Bontrager SS

[Mar 30, 1998]
Jeff Kuo
racer

I got this tire because I wanted to reduce rolling resistance but my riding style doesn't work well with semi slicks. So I decided to get something a little more aggressive. True, it does roll a little slower than a true slick, but it's faster than a typical knobby. Plus all those tiny knobs hook up pretty well on the looser stuff. Currently I have it on the rear with a full knobby up front.

[May 21, 1998]
Dustin Pettet
racer

i like this tire for uphill races
but when it comes to single track these things sux
full knobs are the way to go when the trail turns to slop
another thing is that your feel like your floating
and they lick when it comes to wet conditions
stick with knobbies unless your a roadie

[Aug 14, 2000]
Brian

Strength:

Speed, cornering bite, weight.

For dry semi-packed conditions only. Knoblettes shred if used on lots of hardpack rocky trail.

These tires rock! I've used them as SS-front/SK-rear and as SK front/rear. I find them super fast. In all but the gooiest slop they shed pretty well, they bite well enough to get through roots and rocks, and they climb well. The edge knobs are huge enough to enable great cornering in the twisties, too. Favorite semi-dry and dry condition tires.

No other semi-knobs, just the companion SS. Others include the Specialized Team tires (love 'em) and the Fire XC (hate 'em in the mud).