Panaracer Fire Mud Pro Tire

XC racing tires for muddy condition.Strategically spaced knobs dig in where you need them to for great traction to get you out of "sticky" situations

John Badger   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2006]
Strength:

Does just what its intended to do - finds traction in muck and sheds it so you can keep riding in the winter months

Lots of weaknesses, but if the conditions are right its the best compromise I've found so far

I have the original Santa Cruz Blur and the main flaw with this frame is that the rear triangle does not have much tire clearance. In the winter months, with California adobe mud that has the consistency of cookie-dough, my bike would frequently come to a halt with mud buildup. The mud pro are perfect because they are narrow (1.85") and they shed mud. Also, the big knobs find grip where other tires don't . I use this only as a rear tire. I like a high volume tire in the front - I have the Kenda Nevegal 2.3 up front. In summary, my rear tire digs in because its narrow and has 'teeth' and my front tire stays on top of the muck and provides good winter handling.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST 2.1, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 & 2.3, WTB Weirwolf 2.1, WTB Velociraptor
Ben Carroll   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2003]
Strength:

These tyres are incredible in the thick gloopy stuff. I ride in the Brecon Beacons every weekend during the winter and have never come across anything like them. I was worried about them being so narrow but found that to be in their favour as they cut through the mud until they find something grippy. They also shed mug well and haven't worn too badly throughout the winter. I am very impressed and would recommend them to anyone.

Slow and sketchy on tarmack and not too hot on large slippery rocks or roots.

VERY good in serious mud. I will be putting them back next winter without question. When they wear out I will buy some more. What else can I say?

Similar Products Used: This is my first mud specific tyre but other tyes I have used include: Tioga Psycho; WTB Raptor; Panracer Smoke, Smoke Lite and Dart; Specialized Team Master/Control SL Pro.
Jr.   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2001]
Strength:

Pyramid shaped knobs stay clear. The tire gets down through the top layer of thick mud to the solid stuff below so you can brake, climb, and steer.

Tires really drag on hardpack. Sketchy on wet logs, roots, and rocks.

Great tire for early spring in the Northeast when the ground is soft. Even works well crossing what little snow is left.

On the rear, the tire penetrates to find a firm surface while climbing, but it slides a lot on wet rocks and roots.

On the front, the tire won't float over the mud like a wider tire would. Your speed will go down as you 'dig in', but braking and steering are better than if the tire stayed on the top surface. Personally, in muddy conditions I value control over speed. Cornering on a soft trail is no longer a concern.

Subtract a chili if it isn't muddy.

Similar Products Used: No other 'Mud Specific' tires.
Gavin Thomson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

In muddy conditions this tyre is unbeatable. On a recent club ride near Lewis I was the only rider in our club who had NO problems with clogging. Light, very grippy in the the wet, and pretty good in the dry for that matter.

It has a very thin profile which at first isn't very confidence inspiring. but once you've experienced the grip you soon get over it.

Pissed of sliding back down hills or slither of cambers? Buy some now!

Only 4 chillis for value as they are not cheap (50 quid a pair in the uk). But who wants cheap tyres anyway?

Similar Products Used: I use panaracer fire xc pro's once the trails dry out. They roll faster.
Colin   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2000]
Strength:

bite well on soft forest floor singletrack.

none yet

Superb. Confidence boosting tyre that has impressed me so much and made me ride much faster on the trail. I have tried Specialised Evil Twin Mud on my mates GT and they have the edge but for weight these are a winner. They are mud specific and just do not clog at all. Best run about 35 psi front and 45psi rear (heavy rider). 4 chillis only because the will need changed when it gets dry.

Similar Products Used: Tried Specialised evil twin mud
Bruce   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2003]
Strength:

This tire is great in mud. It grabs well and stays clean of mud, even clay type mud.

THe tire doesn't grab well on asphalt, but I rarely ride on roads.

This tire is great in the mud. I went on a long ride on Saturday. The ride was muddy and I had my Hutchinson Python Air Lites. THey sucked in the mud. I had to stop every few minutes to clear the muck from the rear swingarm.

Yesterday, I went on the same route, but had the Fire Mud Pros on (it even rained some more). The tires rocked! They didn't get clogged with mud....even clay-type soupy, sticky mud. The tires worked so well that I started aiming for the deeper mud sections. I didn't have to walk at all.

On the negative side, they could grab wet roots better, but they're not too bad.
These are the best tires that I have ridden in the mud. They are much better than I had hoped for.

Similar Products Used: THis is my first mud-specific tire. Other tires I own - Panaracer Fire XC, Hutchinson Python Air Lite, Bontrager Revolt Super-X, Bontrager SS
Ian   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2003]
Strength:

Great in mud and most soft trail conditions - felt like I was on a road they tracked so true. They grip fine on anything including roads (not tried wet roads though). Roll well on their intended terrain.

Slow and draggy on road or rock hard stuff. Where I live you always end up doing some road work between trails and I had to work my butt off.

If you need a mud tyre or just a tyre for anything but hard pack these work well.

Similar Products Used: Not tried any other mud specific tyres.
Blue   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2005]
Strength:

The tire is light and sheds mud well. It does what it's intended to do.

None.

These tires are great when you're in sloppy mud. They cut right through to firmer ground to give you traction. I found you need to run them with pretty high pressure, but they still grip great.

I have been running the Fire Muds on the rear with an IRC Mud Mad DH (2.5)on the front. It's a great combination for riding on muddy, wet trails. Those tires even grip the slick logs and log piles.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mud Mad DH
Scott Jones   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2005]
Strength:

Great grip. Cuts down to the hard stuff. Used this tire in soft melting snow and hard crusty snow.

Much thinner than I expected. 1.8 is pretty damn narrow. Not sure how many flats I'm going to get with it. I don't think i get the stability on the rocky portions that I used to have on my old Jones tire.

Tire has really worked well for me in the snow so far. It cuts right down to the hard stuff and it holds and digs well on the solid crunchy snow.
I'm not sure how well it's going to perform in some of the more technical areas, but it is a mud tire so what can i expect?!
I rated it low as I haven't seen it's full potential yet. I expect it to really dig well for me this spring, but i have a feeling i'll need to swap it out for my summer riding.

Similar Products Used: none
Paul   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2002]
Strength:

Awsome ability in mud and clay even snow. Best on the rear.

Slow on roads or hardpack. There are better tyres for the front in mud.

In 1.8 section this is the best mud specific tyre on the market for the rear wheel. It has an amazing ability to grip and clear in any conditions up or down hill and on any surface. It is particulalry good for those horrible wet clay soils that seem to stick to all other tyres.

I found that they clear/grip best when run at about 45-50 psi - which is about their max. The higher pressure reduces the chance of a pinch flat on those hidden stones!

It is OK on the front but in testing I have found that I prefer to run a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 at the front which has better lateral stabilty when cornering in mud/clay. If you ride in snow then put one on the front as well.

This winter I have not had a single washout on an off camber mud/rut - which is just staggering if you ride in the Chilterns in winter!

They may seem expensive but to buy anything else in the UK is just wasting your cash.

Similar Products Used: Just about every other mud specific tyre. I have loads of nearly new tyres of various makes if anyone wants to buy them!!!!