Panaracer Fire DH Pro Tire

Fire DH Pro

Outstanding puncture resistance and side stiffness due to our double belted polyester sidewall. DH tire suitable for high speed sections in all conditions.

ISRAEL   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2009]

Jason   Weekend Warrior [Dec 17, 2001]
Strength:

-Tuff
-Light for DH
-Sticky compound
-Bright color
-Wicked tread

-Hard to mount onto narrow rims

Welp, I just installed them today. They are huge. The lugs are about twice as large as that of the fire xc's. I haven't taken them off-road yet, but I will this weekend. They look mean and feel mean. Heavy, but I think it's worth it. It took a lot of effort to fit the tube properly onto my narrow rims because the tire's stiff sidewall prevented the bead to fold down into my rims. I rode it around a bit, and the weight is definitely noticeable compared to the fire xc's; accel is slower and so is braking, but I think I can make that up in downhill speed. Plus, the extra fun factor is what I'm looking for. So far, fairly impressed.

Similar Products Used: fire xc's
SoCAPhun SoCAPhun   Downhiller [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Good traction, good rolling resistence, looks great, lasts a long time, lighter DH tire, decent overall strength.

I wouldn't run these on a super-high speed downhill race.
If red is not your color, it would be a weakness.

I can't believe people actually have negitive comments about the wieght for these tires. If you are one those riders who is concerned about wieght, what the hell you even considering a product that contain the letters DH! For folks like you, there are products clearly stated with the letters XC, probably in lower case letters to save that extra quarter of a gram for the paint.
Anyways, back the to tires.
Yeah, these are good. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun, and consider these a great practice/rec/trail downhill tire. But for serious racing or downhill at high speeds (over 40mph), I would go with something more beef and more solid. Other then that, can't beat these for the price vs. performance. Solid buy for anyone who actually knows how to ride and not complain about wieght.

Similar Products Used: Pretty much all DH tires that are under 2.5"
zahid   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2002]
Strength:

very very good as a rear tire hard casing and oversized tread..... red strip....jk

horrible tire no grip very bad in wet conditions

exellent rear tire worth gettin' for the price... horrible front tire no traction. its not to big or small(2.3)

Similar Products Used: ?
Martin A.   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

Really, really strong!!! haven't had a tear, or pinch flat even though I abuse these tires on rocky, cactus littered trails. Beats Nokian Gazz. and Tioga downhill tires for strength!

don't corner as well as nokians, but at least they hold up.

like them a lot!

David Wert   [Oct 21, 2002]
Strength:

Have not had a flat since.
Awsome forward bite

Slippery around the corners

I ride heavy crosscountry light freeride. I bought them because I was told they would make the bike stick...
Well my bike now weighs 23lb and it still slides around the tight fast stuff. It is a good tire just has it's specific application.

Similar Products Used: Lots of WTB
dev   Downhiller [Dec 03, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff sidewalls, performance at low and high pressures, mud performance, climbing grip, all around grip, puncture resistance, and the list goes on.

????, I really have no complaints for these tires. I would love to see a 24" version for my new bike though. Some might complain of the weight on the hills but the climbing tread makes up for it.

Great tires for the money and are way better than most of the more expensive tires as well. These tires hookup at high pressure better than most tires at low pressure. You can't beat this tread design. I've used them on loose dirt/sand, hardpack, wet logs, wet clay, and snow. They haven't let me down yet. You won't find a better tread design for freeride. Sweet.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Highrollers DH, WTB Raptors, WTB Mutano Raptor, Panaracer Fire XC, Panaracer Dart & Smoke, Nokian Gazz, Various Intense and Tiogas.
Jason   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2001]
Strength:

-super grip

This is a follow-up to the one I did earlier. I took the tire up this weekend and it is awesome. I have never had so much traction before. I am still getting used to the new limits. There is a large switchback on the trail, and with my fire xc's, I could only enter at 20 mph and exit at 17mph, all the while the tires are sketchy and drifting. With the dh pro's, I can enter at 25 mph and exit at 21mph with stability. I can cut accross ruts through corners w/o a problem. When the tire does begin to drift, it is very stable and predictable. The only problem is the extra weight, which is definitely noticeable, but for the extra control and fun, the weight penalty is nothing.

Nate   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2002]
Strength:

traction, conering, braking, climbing, super tough sidewalls, deep tread...

you dont get added performance w/o added weight but this is coming from my mainly XC background

Everything aside but the way the tire handles on the trail: This tire sticks to the ground where you need it, when you need it. Just pick a line and the tire follows, no questions asked. Climbs and corners in everything. Loose, hard pack, you name it this tire does it.

At 990g (at least thats what QBP lists them at) they're a little heavier than what im used to. This is definately felt on climbs where a 600g tire would get me up with ease. But that same tire would slip all over the place on the way down. This is not an XC racer's tire, nor is it an extreme DH tire. It just somehow manages to do everything inbetween.