On-One Chunky Monkey Tire

On-One Chunky Monkey Tire

Sidewalls are reinforced with our own named Eckso sidewall protection, to guard against rips and gashes. The tire bead is Kevlar, folding, and lighter and better fitting than steel beads. Designed to be fitted to a wider rim - we'd recommend a minimum internal width of 19mm to provide support and stability.

[Dec 29, 2014]
Matty mueller

Strength:

Volume. Grip. Durability. Ride quality. Easy tubeless set up. Price!

Weight. But, it's not a race tire . It's a set and forget trustworthy piece of kit.

Best tire I've ran in a while. I use it on the front of my rigid ss. Great volume on a pacenti rim. Huge actually. It is built on a 2.4 maxxis ardent casing. Set up , tubeless on the tubless ready rim , with no fuss. Though I did use a tube for a few days to get it in shape. Amazing grip, at least for techy New England trails. Crazy traction. Great ride feel too. Stiffer side wall. I run 18psi. Just sublime! Ya it's heavy. But bomb proof. Worth the piece of mind, when plowing through the nasty endless rocks here. Outstanding grip on roots. Wet or dry. Holds air very well.
I'm using the on one Smorgashbord on the rear. The perfect match. Equal . Bit smaller, but big for 2.25. Rounder profile , so good for rear .
I pull them for racing. I use 2.4 conti Xkings. Good tire too. But not even close to the on ones for out and out bad ass tires.
Oh , and for dual compound rubber , I paid 13 $ !! Each. Don't over think this. Buy them. Trust me!

Name it. I love tires.

[Mar 16, 2014]
dremags

Strength:

Grip for days!

Heavy as a ton of bricks but, who cares

I haven't had this tire for that long but, I am very impressed. My friend bought some in the 26" size and told me I had to get some. When I bought them I was wanting something that would give me better grip in the snow and soft dirt and I went from sliding the front out on every corner to doing indos. Yesterday I took out my FS bike and decided to throw it on the front to ride some really chunky trail. This tire does not give up! It doesn't care what the surface is, it just grabs! The other awesome thing about this tire is the cost...$30ish really? I've had pizzas that cost more than that and have left me less satisfied. I did give this review 5 peppers even though this tire added at least 1lb. to the front of my bike. This is not a tire for the weight conscious and I probably won't use it for XC racing but, I will continue to ride it when my only intention is to finish grinning ear to ear.

P.S.-When you buy them make sure you also buy some of their merino wool socks. They are a great price!

Ground Control 2.3 and a bunch of XC tires

[Jan 09, 2014]
bluestatevirgin

Strength:

Grip, volume, tubeless capabilities. Price. Best tire I've used for all around wet weather slippery loose conditions.

Maybe slow rolling, but I wouldn't expect any different for a tire of it's size and tread. Rolls better than other tires I've used.

Been using the Chunky for almost a year on my 29 inch original Flow rims, tubeless with Stan's liquid. Never have any problems with tubeless use at low pressures, and I weigh 250. Tire never loses air, at least before the Stan's starts drying out. Tire is very cushy, and has about the best grip you can expect from non mud specific tires in wet slippery conditions. I run the tire year round because I'll sacrifice a little rolling resistance for all the other great attributes. It's my favorite 29er tire. Anyone who wants a wide, grippy, voluminous tire won't find a better deal.

[Dec 14, 2013]
Rajesh

Strength:

Amazing sticky rubber compound
smooth riding

possibly a bit sluggish compared to what I have been using

These tires are great. There was an immediate bump in my speed and confidence using them. I was smiling the whole way down the mountain. I have dumped my old tires that still had the new tire nobbies on ebay after one ride. These tires are worth it. No other 29er tire is selling for this price, worth a shot.

Specialized Captains, Nevegals, Tioga PsychoGenius, Bontragers

[Dec 10, 2013]
Mr. Doom
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great compound that still rolls well, (Trail Exteme version). Nice build/construction, good quality control. Best cornering 29er tire I have used to date. Half the price of anything comparable.

Not a weight weenie tire if that is what your after.

I was using a 2.4 Ardent on my Yelli Screamy and wanted a stickier high volume tire for plowing through loose rocks on my favorite trails around Missoula MT. The Chunky Monkey delivered the goods, I have used the Panaracer Rampage, Nevagals,Racing Ralphs various WTB, Bontrager and Geax tires on my 29ers and this tread has proven to be the best of the bunch.

I was looking at the HansDampf as I liked the Big Betty on my 26er but this tire has stickier compound IMO. Going to try the On-One Smorgasbord on the rear once the snow melts.

[Dec 07, 2013]
Travis Bickle
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Traction, cornering, cheap, seem durable, set up tubeless easily. Did I mention they are a great value? Great Enduro Tire;)

Not great in sticky mud.

I ride on Vancouver Island and needed a replacement for my Hans Dampfs. A bit of research turned up what sounded to be a good choice at a great price so I ordered up the Trail Extreme version for the wet season here. I have had them mounted on the original Flows and the Flow EX with no burping or difficulties. The trails here have mud that doesn't stick much, wet roots and rocks. The CM have done superbly in these conditions as long as I keep the pressure fairly low. I am 200 lbs and run 26-27 rear and 24-25 front which seems low but the CM does well at these pressures. Climbing over wet roots is very good. Wet roots are my nemesis and I am quite happy. I am not the best at cornering but the CM's have loads of grip when I do get it right At @ 800gm each they roll a little slower on the logging road climbs than the HD's did but are lasting much better. Once on the trails they don't seem slow maybe because of the confidence they give me. I have been here 4 months and have been on the HD, Big Betty, and now the CM. For me the CM is the best of the bunch, wearing better than HD and gripping as well or better than Betty, at less than 1/2 the price.

I have been mtbing for 26 years and have more tires than I can remember