Nokian Hakkapeliita A10 Tire

Hakkapeliita A10

• HAKKAPELIITA A10 is a studded touring tyre
  • Suitable as a front and rear tyre
  • 72 and 100 studs improves grip on ice and hardpacked snow
  • Low rolling resistance due to center ridge

• User Reviews (4)

HardyWeinberg   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2009]
    Strength:

An easier tire to ride than the other studded I've tried; definitely works on ice, such snow as we get

knobby tread slippery on wet pavement (which is all there is here unless it's iced over).

I got these to keep me upright commuting through the black ice season, which is from 2 wks to 3 months here. They seem to be on target to meet that goal. They're studded, they give traction on ice, and they're not painful to ride when there's no ice, so they don't tempt me to remove them at the 1st sunny day. They have a greater proportion of contact patch than the other studded tire I've tried, but still not much and are definitely slippery when wet.

Perhaps I should rate them 'great'/4 chilis because they do what I want with reliability, but I can't say they're truly pleasant to ride. Just life in winter I guess.

Similar Products Used: schwalbe snow stud - absolute wrong tire for my climate
    Christian   Racer [Mar 31, 2003]
    Strength:

Good grip in icy conditions on tarmac. Great durability and puncture resistibility. The studdes wear slower than the rubber. Reasonable rooling resistance compared to MTB in the same category.

Weight, rolling resistance, hard to mount due to steel threads in the sidewall (harder to fix puncture). Can't of course not be used on rollers (rear tire).

Good product for anyone who rides a lot on pavemented roads with hybrid 26'' tire bike in icy conditions and don't mind about the extra rolling resistance compared to a road competition tire. The studdes add extra security in bends where you would be extra careful otherwise.

Juhani   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2004]
    Strength:

They are studded and available at narrow sizes. When pumped to maximum pressure, the studs do not have much ground contact, giving reasonably low rolling resistance and still good grip on hardpacked snow. They also cut well through loose snow.

Slippery compared to tires with more studs. Rough ride, 23 millimeter road tires pumped to 8 bar give much smoother ride than these at 4 bar. Very unstable when ridden on bare asphalt (which is most of the winter here). In soft and treaded snow riding them is a nightmare, although nothing rides well there.

Nice tires if you want to ride a bike with no tire clearance for winter. If I didn't happen to own two such bikes, I'd go for something less rigid with more studs.

Similar Products Used: None. Tried on Schwalbes but they were too wide for my bikes.
    spiro vagenas   Racer [Feb 15, 2007]
    Strength:

Well constructed, solid tire with good anti-puncture protection. Good tread design with just enough studs to give you that extra bit of confidence when riding over the icy spots. Impressive durability.

Even with the center ridge and pumped to the max, I find the rolling resistance very high. These are reasonably heavy tires.

I don't waste any time getting them off when winter is over. I will be choosing different winter tires in the future because of the very high rolling resistance. The only problem is they just don't want to seem to wear down.

Similar Products Used: Fast Freds, LRH, Maxxis Larsen Mimo.