Nokian Hakka WXC300 Tire

Nokian Hakka WXC300 Tire

The Nokian Hakka WXC 300Tire.This Light skinwalled OLC casingTire features 300 sharp steel studs with carbide pins. Light skinwall OLC casing and 300 sharp steel studs with carbide pins 61 ShA carbon silicaTread compound provides excellent grip on snow and ice Item Specifications Tire Bead Folding ISO Diameter 559 ISO Width 53 mm

[Aug 20, 2015]
Helge
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

This tyre handles bort snow and ice to the fullest. Just make sure to keep the tyres fullt inflated. When goo g full speed on icy roadracing with satser on top you feel more secure than walking. The weigths also keeps the drag down.

When installert you mest make sure to put more sir than required to make sure it is fully aligned before you start cycling. 55 PSI is no problem for the tyre. This also opens up the knobs releasing the snow and dirt.

As a winter tyre in scandinavian winters this is one of the best tyres. If you ony experience ice with no snow, this light be giving to heavy driving conditions. Warmly recommended for trail cyclists and work commuting on icy and snowy roads.

[Jan 20, 2013]
Greg S

Strength:

Good grip

Both tires bought wobble

I have recently put these tires on. I thought it is worth sacrificing 240 dollars for the se, but it was a waste! Both tires wobble insanely, none of them are straight! I mean, come one, a tire has to be made to go straight. It is like having ice skates where the skates are not straight. Piece of garbage, shame on Nokian to make people pay for products that have no quality control. What are they thinking?????I want my money back. (And Nokian to stop manufacture tires)

[Jan 25, 2012]
captainadventure

Strength:

Traction on ice is stunning, also very good in snow, not too heavy (quite light given what they are), and as I use them durable. Not lost any studs in 2 years winter use, but always on ice/snow.
Let you ride anywhere, all winter in Sweden.

Price, and depending on your view noisy.

Too many crashes on ice, and now I only crash as often as when no ice (snow is a different question).
Rides long distance over frozen lakes a joy, We race friends as they skate.
Maybe quick wearing if used of frozen and snowy ground, but never been there.

If you live and cycle somewhere like Sweden essential if you don't want severe winter limits, not sure if I'd feel they were good value soley for the UK.

My first and only studded tyres

[Nov 21, 2010]
mymudcat

Strength:

It has the possibility of being a good tire, depending upon whom you might listen too.

Maybe I'm just to picky about this issue, but from my perspective I thought it was very deceptive in the fact that the tire was manufactured in Taiwan, the packaging says otherwise "Handmade in Finland" and the companies website also makes no mention of same. I can tell you I've had experiences with tires from the Island, they were not good. Of course this is all anecdotal, maybe yours was better? But at $150 I'm not going to take that chance.

Well, this one persons view point and the grain of salt.

From the outset I'm very disappointed in this tires without even using them. Sorry, i.e. materials, manufacturing, if they were close to the W106 than sure it wouldn't be a problem.

I assumed that the tires were made in Finland as in the past were indeed produced in Taiwan instead when I placed that order, I never would've put in that order. I had placed that order back in July of 2010 just to avoid the potential problems as there often is. Now, there may be a problem getting tires because it is so last, thanks.

This is due partly to my past experiences with Taiwanese bicycle parts, which have been so off putting, I would never intentionally purchase parts manufactured from Taiwan again. It seems harsh and it's a big country and it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but I'm doing the walking through the woods for three hours because parts failed and no one else, so you get the drift? I've got more of an unhappy list so... Maybe for free I'd take them.

The first question is: why were those tires marked as they were in the packaging and visa-versa? The second question is: why are the tires being produced in Taiwan without any public notification, i.e. company website, packaging?

My experience with the Nokian products has been excellent to this point. I've been running the W106 tires on my road and cyclo-cross bikes for a number of years without so much as a flat let alone a torn sidewall and I run through a lot of ice too. We also use the Hakkapeliitta LT's on our SUV's and truck with the same all around Nokian standards I've come to expect and appreciate. I've personally logged thousands of kilometers on both and they handle the snow and ice like dry dirt. These have all been stamped "Made in Finland".

However, the WXC300's that I've taken possession of pales in comparison to my W106 tires. That was a shocker. But I don't think I need to go into all the compare and contrasts between them since I think you're aware of them. The one thing that does really stand out is the sidewall thickness, it is just paper-thin, one sharp piece of ice and it's over for a tire that retails at $150 US dollars. A few dollars more and I could be replacing my truck tire which isn't much more costly and that can last for years?

It is hard to determine what corporation owns what, but it seems that Nokian may have sold off the Bicycle side of the business back in 2006. But, that doesn't explain my W106 tires. Those tires are not four years old with the "made in Finland" stamping.

To give the company the benefit of the doubt I did send them an e-mail regarding this issue.

In the end everyone will make their own judgments, but I can tell you our cars don't lose studs and in particular my pickup has over 300hp so a bike tire shouldn't lose any as the other reviews have mentioned.

Thanks for reading.

Nokian W106 only. That is a great tire. Long wearing on the road and in the woods. Have put thousands of miles on them. Near have lost a stud. Super strong sidewalls and tread and mine are made in Finland too.

[May 03, 2010]
jimisnowhere

Strength:

Traction riding on ice is just shy of riding on dry cement. I can bomb across lakes! You can remove your brakes, just stop pedaling and the bike immediately stops rolling. By spring you'll be stronger. I've only lost a few studs maybe 5, don't skid on anything but ice or snow. Skids on ice makes shaved ice fly everywhere!

Slow, heavy, noisy, stiff, slow.

These are great for the day of the snow storm, training on lakes, off road or very icy conditions. They do not like clear, wet asphalt, it makes em slow and age fast. They are a good width, 1.9", to spread out on ice, but dig into the snow, also they fit under Planet Bike's big mtb fender. They can get a bit surfy in 8+ inches. Set your bike up to have about 20 gear inches (25front X 30rear), you'll need it to move these guys, but you'll never dump on ice again. Ever.

[Apr 13, 2010]
rkj__

Strength:

I can ride my bike on ice!
Good traction in snow
Light for a studded tire
Hard carbide studs stay sharp

Durability
High MSRP

I decided I wanted to do more riding. One crash on ice was enough to convince me I wanted studs.

I jumped on a fantastic deal on these tires. They were broken in by a friend, and only used for a few rides. $160 for the pair. Norco sells these for $200 each MSRP here in Canada.

I put a good handful of rides on these tires over the winter season. I was very happy with the traction on snow. I was happy with the added confidence I had on ice. In some icy sections they let me breathe a little easier. In other icy sections I was grinning, because I knew it was impossible to stay upright without a good studded tire.

I was however disappointed with the durability. I lost a handful of studs ~10. Some were simply pulled out, but others were a result of the incredibly soft rubber simply tearing. The corners of the tread are showing wear. I understand stud loss is fairly common, but I'm more concerned about the rubber tearing and falling apart. Oh well. That's what happens when you ride a snowy and icy trail that still has some rocks exposed.

[Feb 09, 2009]
Algoncree

Strength:

They're still as sharp as when i bought them and i didn't lose one stud yet. They're light and I was told that they're gonna last over 5 years.

The thin side walls tend to freeze earlier than the pair i had last year(innnova).

I can't wait to ride them on glaze ice

[Jul 24, 2008]
Horst Linked

Strength:

Light weight, great hook up on ice. The do what they're designed to do. Period.

Cost...but what do you expect, they're Nokians and they're studded! The only complaint I have is with phattire.com. The d-bag that runs the place (located near my home) insisted that he had to ship them to me and that I couldn't drive 5 miles to pick them up. The guy's a hack that's making money off of shipping costs.

Of course they'll wear on pavement! What do you expect? As far as using them for what they're designed to do, they're excellent. I've ridden them over one winter and have yet to find a weakness. Well worth the money if you're planning on riding frozen trails from late fall through early spring or commuting to work in the snow and ice.

[Mar 24, 2006]
Steven kilburn

Strength:

Traction on ice and snow

Studs come out. However, I contacted Nokian and they sent me some studs and the installation tool free of charge. Great cs!!

Great tires. They are a bit narrow for my tastes but do they hook up!! I rode over everything super fast this winter with these things. We had absolutely no snow this year but there was ice everywhere. I highly recommend. It was like riding in late summer/early autumn all winter, just colder.

Homemade

[Mar 12, 2006]
Nick Vinson

Strength:

These tires are worth every dollar paid. They've held fast on ice, snow, rain, leaves and mud. They stop on a dime every time. Even with some hard use this winter, I only lost 2 studs per tire. Smooth enough for street riding and to be honest, I really enjoyed the scratchy sound of the studs on concrete.

Tires will kick out easily going over some obsticles. Snakebites(yes, I use tubes in mine at 60 psi). A tire liner solved that problem. Be careful tire will scartch soft flooring (wood, tile, flagstone, marble),

I removed these tires for spring, rode for a week and reinstalled them. I will ride them year round.
Anybody who rides on ice or snow should check these tires out.

First time