Nokian 256 Studded Tire Tire

256 Studded Tire

Nokian 256 Studded Tire

yroundrider   Racer [Mar 02, 2010]
Strength:

Tires are light, good for moderate recreational riding, non aggresive cornering, good for commuters who want a little added protection riding on icy sections of road.

Poor traction for higher speeds, cornering and braking. Suck in the woods. Studs aren't pronounced enough to make proper contact with ice. If there is any foliage, dirt, snow etc between ice and tire, forget about the studs doing you any good.

These offer little added benefits to a mountain bike rider in the woods. Perfect for the commuter only. Will probably try and sell these and make a new pair myself. The weight factor during the winter isn't as important for training, only if you're racing. Not worth the money, I've seen Nokian come out with a 300 count studded tire, but would be weary of the same performance. The rubber compound hasn't been all that impressive either. With only the very tips of the studs making contact, you'd be better off running high grip standard tires and know that ice is going to be sketchy.

Similar Products Used: Homemade studded tires with secondary tire inside to protect the tube. Very heavy, but worked so much better!
Mikie   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2002]
Strength:

Great hookup on snow and ice. Excellent price from Peter White.

A little heavy but can't complain because hookup is so good. Whats up with the break in period Nokian?

Was riding on regular rubber this winter. Treking was great with the packed snow and crunchy conditions. Once the temps started to rise during the day and drop at night the trails turned to ice. The old treads couldn't cut it. I body couldn't take another dab. I tossed on a set of Nokian 296s and life was good again. Sure riding for 31 miles on the street to break them in sucked but hay I figured it was worth doing. At 78 bucks each I want these babies to last. Took them out today for a maiden voyage on the trails and was impressed. These things grabbed onto everything. Never even shuttered when the trails got icy. They definately give you a sense of security on the ice. For some fun I took them out on a frozen pond with no trouble. I can even say I didn't notice the weight increase over my Mythos summer tires. Sure ther heavier but you have to give up a little something for this much frozen fun.

These babies get five chiles just for the added fun.
And Peter White gets five for offering them at a good price, having them in stock, being local and being honest about the Hakka WXC300s

Similar Products Used: nothing compares
t   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2003]
Strength:

width,no flats

not agressive enough for pure ice,heavy,Expensive

When the snow is packed all you need is wide tires @ 30psi. when it is icy though they won't do. Screws are great but heavier, flats suck too,I wonder how Tuffy tireliners work or how about STAN,S no tubes!

Similar Products Used: homemade with screws
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2003]
Strength:

Designed in and for an Icy climate (Finland) and they will "never wear out"

I ride all winter every weekend the temp is above 20 degrees. We have a local recreation area that has plowed roads but no vehicle traffic. Bike paths, singletrack in the summer. Cross country skiing and walking the dog in the winter. These plowed, crowned roads become ribbons of ice under certain conditions. Freezing rain, melt and refreeze etc. I ride these roads when I wouldn't walk on 'em. I can do a stoppy! There is no doubt that these tires provide great piece of mind when ice is encountered. Regular lug tires work just as well, maybe better, on packed snow. I've run these Nokians for 2 winters and they still look like new. If you ride in icy conditions, or want to, buy 'em.

Similar Products Used: None
Matti   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2000]
Strength:

Good on snow.

Not so good on ice.

If you ride on snowy conditions, the Extreme 296 is the best choice.

Similar Products Used: Home made tire with screws.
Lee Crowell   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 12, 1999]
Strength:

unknown

unknown

I never tried these tires but want to let you know you can make your own. I recycled some wornout Velociraptor tires (just about any brand of knobby mountain bike tires should work). Drill some pilot holes with a small diameter bit, then screw number 6 or number 8 sheet metal screws through the knobs. Don't scrimp on the amount of screws because you'll need them for good traction. Before you mount them buy some Tuffy tire liners for about $8 each to protect tubes from flats. When you're done you've got a set of tires that can ride over ice and frozen snow with so much control you won't believe it. Last January I went out at midnight on top of Camelback mountain in the frozen snow and floated over the trails on the smoothest ride ever. It's awesome because you're the only idiot out there, no human tracks to be seen for miles. When you stop for a break shut off your light and howl at the moon because you're the one out there having fun while others are sitting by their heaters. I can't wait to upgrade to disc brakes. No more loss of brakes due to iced up wheel rims.

Similar Products Used: homemade studded tires, see info below
Jim Coffman   Weekend Warrior [Nov 07, 1999]
Strength:

Traction and More Traction

weight and noise on pavement

I love these tires! Traction and more traction. You will not fall with these tires on your bike. Great on hard ice and less that a couple of inches of snow. On the pavement you will not need a horn to signal people, they will hear you comming from 100 feet away. I have not lost any studs after rining on these 50 miles a week all winter long. I would recomend them to anyone riding in the winter in northern places like Michigan.

Piotr   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 19, 1999]
Strength:

works great
not too expensive (50$
in Poland)

weight (but I think
it is normal for that
type of tire)

Works great on ice, and hard snow, you can climb
any hill in winter, and (best thing) you can use
your brakes on ice. I made few hundred km in winter, and I noticed no problems with taht tire.

Similar Products Used: Duster II
Nokian X-track
Fire XC Pro
Rich   cross-country rider [Jan 30, 1999]

These tires are awesome. I went riding on a frozen lake and i could control my bike very easily. Excellent performance in ice and snow no deeper than about 4 inches. they shed snow really well and i haven't lost any studs yet. after three months of riding them, they are still looking almost new. the only drawbacks are that they're expensive and heavy. Definately worth it though!!

Thomas Mattsson   weekend warrior [Jan 29, 1999]

As mentioned in earlier reviews we have fairly long winters here in Sweden so if you want to keep going out for some real training rides you need a pair of studded tires. The best ones I´ve tried so far are the Nokian Extreme 296. They are simply outstanding on ice and work quite well in snow as well, as long as the snow isn´t too deep. Of course they are a bit heavy but you can´t have it all. I haven´t had any problems with losing any studs, in fact I haven´t lost a single one. I believe that the importance of running the tires in properly can´t be overestimated. Running them in properly means about 80 kms on paved/hard road without locking up your wheels, wheelspin or hard cornering. So if you want to stop worrying about falling, and have some money to spend, these tires are the best winter tires on the market, at least in my opinion.