Nokian 160 Studded Tire Tire

160 Studded Tire

Nokian 160 Studded Tire

bedwards1000   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2012]
Strength:

Low Cost, Long Life, Great Traction, low Rolling Resistance (for this type of tire)

Heavy

These are great tires for road and light trail riding. The grip can be significantly adjusted with tire pressure with the expense of rolling resistance. At the rated pressure the studs barely contact the ground but the rolling resistance is great for a studded winter tire. This is a good pressure if you might encounter a patch of ice on your trail but it's almost useless on black ice. At about 30-35psi (for me, 165 lbs+45lbs gear & Bike) there is a nice combination of grip and RR. This is the pressure I run mine at most of the time. If you know you are going to be riding across a lake or some other really icy ground drop the pressure to 20-25 to really keep the studs in contact with the ground.

On the trails these are functional but don't' give the confidence of a tire with a stud / knob.

Bottom line, if you ride the roads with an occasional trail these are a good choice for you. If you ride the trails with an occasional road, jump to the Nokian Extreme 294 or similar. I've been completely satisfied with them for the purpose they were bought for.

Similar Products Used: Nokian Extreme 294s
Locke   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2010]

Drove them for 8 years during winter almost every day to work on my city-bike. They are worn but not worn down, though mostly driven on asphalt. Excellent on ice and snow. Bought them for my wife's city-bike as well.

jeff   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2006]
Strength:

Great snow/ice performance.

Mine are very difficult to seat the bead

Rode all winter in Calgary. Saved my butt on sneaky icy patchs. Would not cummute without them.

Lost one stud on rear wheel during 60 km/h downhill.

Peter Spiro   Weekend Warrior [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

Fantastic cornering. I use it for winter commuting, only on the front wheel, and my control on slippery roads is fantastic. Pretty smooth rolling and not too noisy considering all those studs. Really grips well on black ice.

Slithers around in deep snow. The studs don't help there.

These give a vast increase in safety for winter road riding. The benefits far outweigh the slight increase in rolling resistance and noise.

Similar Products Used: I made my own studded tires previously using screws, but those were much noisier with more rolling resistance and less grip.
Harri Manni   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 28, 1999]
Strength:

Grip on ice
price (atleast in Sweden)

Haven't found any... Yet.

Last winter I fell pretty bad whit my bike, this because of a blank spot under some powder snow. I was about to buy a couple of studded tires right then but I was a bit skeptic if the would make any difference.
Now I can only say that all the misgivings I had about studded tires for bikes is wiped away!
I feel more safe biking on ice than walking on it with these babys on my rims!As a previous reviewer said, they make a funny sound when riding bare roads, but hey, I think it sound cool... :)If you think about buying studded tires I think these are a good low-cost entry-level studded tires.

Similar Products Used: None
Lee Crowell   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 12, 1999]
Strength:

unknown

unknown

You can very easily make your own studded tires, see my review of the other model Nokian studded tire and you'll get all the info. It's definitely worth the trouble and you'll save money big time.

Similar Products Used: home made studded tires
Mark Hinman   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 1999]
Strength:

Unbelievable on ice

Heavy gum wall constuction.
Noisy on pavement

We got about 6 inches of snow by yesterday morning. Yesterday was in 40s. There was a lot of melting yesterday, and no where for it to
drain to. It was in the 20s last night, resulting in an incredible amount of
black ice. These tires are unbelievable on ice. The traction is probably
about 30% of what you would get on dry pavement. But 30% is a lot more than
0%. I was cruising over polished sheets at 15 MPH, like they weren't even
their. I run the tires at 50lbs without snow on the ground, and about 25lbs with snow. I have tried them in a powder snow, and they performed flawlessly. In a wet snow with freezing rain, and lots of underlying compacted areas from foot prints. The tire was a little skitish. But I don't think there is a tire that wouldn't be. These tire wear very well, I have about 100 miles on them, alot on it on dry pavement. I commute so I have ice in the morning, and clear road in the evening. The studs show little wear to spite the dry milage.

Similar Products Used: None
pedro   cross-country rider [Feb 12, 1999]

i got these tires for my beater bike in the winter, and the rule! they make ia funny buzzing sound but they give traction when needed. and at $35 can. each at mountain equipment co-op they are one of the best things for a commuter, who does not need to pollute.

John Lockwood   cross-country rider [Jan 17, 1999]

While I agree with the previous comments about these being a good commuter tire, they aren't that bad on the trails. In fact, I've done some pretty icy trails and hills this winter and haven't had any problems. Certainly get the 256's if you're riding the glaciers or icy cliffs. For most other winter riding, the 160's will work well for less money (and weight).

Don Billgren   cross-country rider [Feb 19, 1998]

This must be the one otherwise called Hakepelitta (approximately!). Just got it and have only used it commuting. For that purpose it's just the ticket - doesn't slip on ice, and rolls nicely on paved roads. Slight rust on the studs after a short time. Hesitate to go off road into the slush and mud with them - tame treads.