Michelin XL S Tire

Michelin XL S Tire

Michelin Tubeless XL S - Cross Country competition tire, Self cleaning tread design, extreme grip, high density casing, two directional - front and rear.

[Jun 18, 2008]
biga6462

Strength:

Nice Grip On Climbs

I was able to get these free because my stock Bontrager Jones had a defect in them. I have put about 1200 miles on these and have only had 3 flats. Others complain about sidewall blow out but I have no problems and the tread could probably last me a few hundred more miles. They are great on climbs and are a very fast tire overall. The only complaint is that I wish they had these in a 2.2 model.

Bontrager Jones and Connection Trail, Hutchinson Python, IRC Mythos

[May 31, 2003]
michael

Strength:

light weight for agressive treads and good grip

durability

After reading the reviews here before getting the tire, I thought...not me, no tire has ever had a cut sidewall while Ive ridden thousands of miles and there are hardly any rocks on the local trails. Going up a gravel road slow....it was like a 22 bullet went off, kerping! Instant flat and a 1 inch tear in the sidewall. Got about 150 miles of wear out of it and it was wearing good too! Yes indeed, those sidewalls are real fragile! Oh well, didn't like the bad reputation they have with Stans tubeless anyway [was using them with a lightweight tube tube]. It did work well while it lasted though. Still can't figure out how it happened. Sure didn't see any rocks that would have done it.
Who should use it?...risk takers
Who shouldn't use it?...poor conservative folks
but go ahead and roll the dice...you may beat the odds.

about 10 other tire brands, models

[Dec 09, 2001]
John

Strength:

(Rear tire) Good traction in all conditions, dry, wet, steep, the kind of riding I do.

None that presented themselves :)

This tire isn't worn out yet. I think I destroyed the other 2 tires because of riding the edges over rocks, roots... This one has given no probs, no punctures, and I love how it hooks up in the climbs.
I have a spare, so when this one goes, I won't be empty handed.

Specialized Team Hamster (LOL!!) Shredded the knobs off. Ritchey Z-Max WCS also shredded to bits in 2 rides (Wow crappy)

[Feb 18, 2004]
roger

Strength:

ease of installation, tread pattern, grips like hell

used to paying Panaracer prices, so a little steep, but woth every dime

There have been some complaints on the Blur about running 2.1 or bigger tires and glopping them with mud causing rubbing, etc... I decided to step down to a 2.0 b/c all I seem to get lately is mud. I have been loyal to the Fire XC for a while, but the XL-S is a superior tire. I am talking about the '04 xls. This tire mounts easily on my Rhyno lites and grips like contact cement. Gravel to rock dusty areas, red clay, mica dust, all the sh*t that slides out the bike is dealt with by this tire. Handles great. This tire will leave you feelin' satisfied.

Maxxis High Roller, WTB Weirwolf, Panaracer Fire XC, Conti DF

[Mar 01, 2002]
Ramon Cervantes

Strength:

Good grip.

wear out quickly if u use them on the road, lots of pinchflats.

I like it as a front tire, excellent grip, but when I tried it on the rear it gave me LOTS of pinch flats, actually, the tire blew out while climbing and it was only 45 psi, maybe that's because I was using michelin tubes, they are terrible tubes. anyway, the previous XL-Sblew out as well after just 3 months of use.

I wouldn't reccomend this tire.

mithos xc, wtb velociraptor

[Jan 16, 2002]
Ping

Strength:

Overall Grip and Stability, resistance to punctures, tubeless.

Minor - noisy on tarmac....

Thus far, the best all round UST tyre I have ridden on. It's stable and has great traction on just about any surface... mud ... hardpack .... rocks.. It doesn't seem to be as supple as the Python's though so you do need to run these at low pressure (I use around 30-35psi) to smooth out the ride. They do make noise on concrete, but what do you expect with knobblies. They don't roll quite as fast as pythons do on hardpack, but in any other conditions (especially when wet or loose ground) they are better. Difficult to mount and remove without tools though ... the bead is tighter than on pythons, but generally seem to hold air better. I haven't had any punctures yet, and the casing/sidewalls seems to be tougher and thicker than on Pythons so no tire slashes as yet.
On the trail, technical climbs become easier, cornering is faster and I'm more confident to drops/stuff than I ever felt on the pythons.
Overall rating is 5 flamin Chili's, 4 chilli's for value since UST is still too expensive!

UST Python's, Conti Traction Pro's and others...

[Jul 01, 2002]
mike welch

Strength:

good traction in rocky, rooty, wet rerrain. Low rolling resistance

Durability. 4 tears in the sidewalls.

A good tire for technical x-c riding, but does not stand up at all. I have four tears in the sidewalls, two of which have big bulges coming out of them. This is not just from one rocky encounter. They keep appearing. These are not cheap either, 60cdn. 20 cdn more than the fire x-cs.

Fire xc pro, hutchinsons,wtb, etc.

[Sep 09, 2002]
Paul

Strength:

Excellent traction and stability in all conditions (rocks, roots, sand, mud...)

Durability

I have one of those love/hate relationships with this tire. I love the way it rides and handles - one of the best performing tires I've ever ridden.

BUT

THIS TIRE IS NOT DURABLE - I went through THREE (3) of them this season - Fortunately the third one was a factory replacement.

The sidewall on each one has torn. This past tire only lasted 7 rides - I run only 50-55 psi in these tires.
THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT HOLD UP - I GIVE IT 0 FLAMERS!!!

Maxxis, IRC, Continental

[Oct 30, 2003]
Brian Elmer

Strength:

The tire grips well...I have one on the back, coupled with a Front S, and I'm impressed with the combination. It's not great in the mud, but it's better than what I had before. It's quite a confidence inspiring tire, and it makes me want to go faster and climb harder. The cornering is good too, and the tire's pretty light.

Possibly fragile.

I really like the tire. I've only used it on the rear in the rear direction, coupled with my Front S, so I can't comment on how it works in the front. But in the rear, it grips and pulls well. I'm interested to see how it handles the snow.

My only concern is its fragility...I've gotten one sidewall tear in my Front S, and the two tires are quite similarly constructed. So I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Overall, I think the tire was worth it, and I don't have a problem recommending it.

Specialized Ground Control

[Dec 31, 2003]
Kuma

Strength:

Durability and handling. I CANNOT understand the complaints on these tires. I have been using the same one (on the back) for 3 years!!! I ride hundreds of miles a year and race almost every weekend April-Oct. I have only flatted one time during a race and that was because I did a terrible thing to my rim barreling over rocks.

I'll never use another tire

Hutchinson; Panaracer; IRC