Michelin XCR AT Tire

XCR AT

The new XCR A/T has been acclaimed from the outset for its impressive performance under mixed trail conditions. No matter whether the terrain is dry or slick, the XCR A/T with Dual Compound technology excels. Thanks to excellent puncture resistance, and impeccable traction for climbing or braking.

Desertorosso   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2010]
Strength:

Good looking, quite fast rolling, well absorbing hits

They wear really too fast, no lateral holding on roots

A versatile tyre that wears in about 300 miles, very good traction at the beginning, but it soon becomes slippy on gravel. No lateral handling on hard obstacles like roots or large gravel stones, and even on wet roads.
Ok for a mixed on-offroad use in dry conditions, with mild riding

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, panaracer
Roguelux   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2009]
Strength:

- good on double track fire trails

- Done 220km, 50/50 road and XC, and have torn a hole in top carcass to the point where the tube was sticking through. Tube was fine, tyre is stuffed.
- Rubbish on tree roots
- Not confidence inspiring in gravely single track

Not very impressed. I would be very annoyed had i bought a set of these off the shelf, however they came with the bike so its not to bad. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider however the rear tyre has had it; cuts all over the place, some through to the tube. Front tyre is ok at the moment. And yes they were inflated properly (40 PSI). Finally they don’t handle particularly well on loose single tracks, had a few falls when trying to lean the bike a bit. I won't be buying Michelin in the near future.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Larsen TT, standard kenda's
rommel74   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2009]
Strength:

Looks cool, ok on hardpack dirt.

Climbing on rocky or loose surface, heavy.

This tire came with my new bike, I initially took it off cause I had a trusty set of Kenda Nevegal tires which served me well. I swapped the rear tire to this new Michelin XCR and was instantly disappointed, the grip is much worse then my worn Kenda Nevegal over any surface, but this tire especially sux over rocky surfaces, it has little grip. Also showing signs of wear after about 100Km of riding. Will ditch this tire soon methinks.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal, Bontrager Jones
STU CLARKE   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2007]
Strength:

Fantastic grip in all conditions...loose,rocky loam sandy muddy etc....very predictable grip letting go only slightly but with warning....

slow rolling great llround tire but there are much faster tu=ires for dry hardpack

These tires are a great allround tire that give you great confidence in all conditions....may not be that fast rolling but you won't fall off due to grip issues so you can really push hard in all conditions...if the track is not an all out fast fire trail then go with these and you will ride faster ( great in loose singletrack etc.)a little expensive, but anything great usually is.

Similar Products Used: Michelin comp s, Maxis crossmark, Bontrager
Roberto   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 2006]
Strength:

Looks

So-So grip
knobs wear out... quick! 3 or 4 rides and started to see some knobs tearing away!

I didn't like the tire, after four rides I took it off and replaced them with a Roll-X.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1, Specialized Roll-X, Panaracer Cinder, Panaracer Fire XC
David   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2007]
Strength:

_traction
_puncture resistance
_ good all round tire

Nothing yet.

After 2 months of riding, the tire is still like new, haven't got a flat.
Tire provides good control and traction on downhill and fast cornering.

It's been great on a variety of terrain.

I was hesitant to buy the tire after I read the review posted on this website, but for under $20, you can' beat the price.

Similar Products Used: Conti Vertical Pro. Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Syncros Point 'n Chute 2.35
Arnout   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2007]
Strength:

Verry allround and yet fast. Good compromise!
Does not tear or puncture easy, reliable

quite heavy
wears ok but might lose a knob or two!
Not to expensive

Not the fastest,not the one with the best grip,but good in all kinds of mud, good on hardpack, gravel,
on wet rooks, wet or dry rock,...

Does not last forever, but quite happy with the lifespan
very pleased with it!

Similar Products Used: Nobby nick (schwalbe), XCR mud, continental explorer,...
Ruud   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight for a knob tire
Sidegrip
Real all terrain (incl. sand)
Breaking power
Grip with climbing
Low rolling resistance

Great tire, I love this one ! It has all you require from a tire during a rough ride. Even on the road it has a low rolling resistance for a knob tire.

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe Jimmy, Racing Ralph
scott   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2006]
Strength:

straight away climbing grip, seems to have fairly tough sidewalls and fairly lightweight.

This tire has no grip whatsoever on anything that even resembles an off angle root. I have been through seeral tires lately and have been especially disapointed with this tire. I previously have only bought tires that were clearance under 20$s. I ride Fountainhead which is as close to freeride conditions without the drops as you can get on a XC styled course. The trail has never ending roots and rocks. This tire loosed traction of any kind of angled root and does not corner very well on hard packed or loose over hard packed dirt. If you are climbing while sitting and going straight up a hill you can feel the soft compound hook up on the trail but as soon as you catch anything off angle in the slightest your traction is gone. I have taken several spills on technical climbs when this tire completely let go and spun. I tried to run the tire at 45 psi and it didnt help. I then tried it at the minimum pressure of 39psi and it was a little better. Then I tried 35 psi and it just banged the roots continously and I got a pinch flat when I put it back up to 40 psi. My bontrager jones tires that came witht he bike didnt even do that. My Mythos XC race tires had awesome traction but weak sidewalls that didn't hold up. I thought about moving this tire to the front but it doesnt corner very well so I think its getting set aside.

the bottom line is if there is a hard packed smooth trail to ride near you and you have 40$ to blow go for it. if not buy something else. I can't believe I let a bike shop talk me into spending 43.00 on a tire without coming on here and checking the reviews first. this tire says its all terrain but I rode 3 times on it and have had enough. If a tire does not inspire confidence its not cutting it.
1 chili for value because its expensive 2 chilis for performance.

Similar Products Used: bontrager jones 2.1, IRC mythos race 1.95 and 2.1, ritchey elevaders 1.95, tioga psycho 1.95 I just purchased a kenda nevegal 2.1 and a WTV wierwolf 2.1 we will see how they work.
ichibanecek   [Jul 24, 2006]
Strength:

traction, volume

durability. knobs peeled off after just 2-3 rides...bogus!

these tires are awful! the knobs begad to tear off after just a few rides. this is definitely the least durable tire i've ever used.

Similar Products Used: many others...