Michelin XC Dry Tire

Utilizing a World Cup proven tread pattern, the XC Dry cross country tire benefits from the enhanced durability of a heavy-duty 60 TPI casing and long lasting carbon black tread compound. Low rolling resistance on dry and hardpack trails.

SpeedSquare   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2010]
Strength:

Traction, durability and low rolling resitance

Not great in Mud, but it wasn't designed for that

These tire are great! On Dry packed trails they are exteemly fast and predictable. Traction over roots and rocks is very good, and they hadle sand and gravel well. If you stay out of the mud, (which they are not designed for)they are great! (Don't understand some of the contradicting reviews, I found the conering traction predictable and stable>)

Similar Products Used: Hutchison Python
darrinw2001   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2010]
Strength:

Fast rolling, grips great on dry dirt, sand, and lite mud

can pack up a little fast in mud

This is for the XC Dry 2 tread pattern which is the same as the new Michelin Wild Race'r that replace this model. very wide for a 2.0 tire, great air volume, great grip in the turns, fast rolling and light weight. got them on close out at Nashbar because Michelin has changed the name of these to Wild Race'r and now offer more sizes and a 29er version... So far the best tire I have ridden for the conditions here in Florida, and now I wish I had bought more of these at that stupid price of $10 each... I will be buying the Wild Race'r when it comes time to replace these..

Similar Products Used: Kenda Kosmik Lites, Panaracer Fire XC pro, Kenda Nevegals
lucyfek   Cross Country Rider [Mar 26, 2010]
Strength:

this is for xc dry 2 (not sure if 1st gen differed but...) - superfast - the biggest tires i've ever consciously purchased for riding but spins almost like a road tire (on my cruiser ss bike it got me to 35+ mph - probably some 120 rpm at crank), my first impression on my "performance" xc bike was breathtaking - accelerates beautifully, supercomfy and quiet (can't believe it considering knobs), great on roads and local trails (no extreme riding in this part of illinois)

tire is rated at 2.3 (got it for riding my ss in the snow) but surely it is not (2.1 max), still decent in snow when underinflated, having said that it barely fit under full fenders on my cruiser ("whiskers" would brush the bottom, wet snow would pack in)

great buy (sale price was probably 17$ - can't recall) - was meant to bring my order to the "free ship" $ range but instead of disposable winter rubber seems like it's become my favorite mb tire

Similar Products Used: forte/performance tires, even less tread (speed freak of me) but now i'll have to reconsider my choices (michelins seem to be more "glass-proof"), the quality of ride resembles forte gotham (great city tire, bulletproof, quiet, fast despite being heavy) but with more off-road capability (and possibly even lighter)
sportster44   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2009]
Strength:

VERY fast rolling, great traction on dry, hard pack trails

wet roots and rocks

A Very fast rolling tire on dry hard pack trails, works good on loose sand. Have them on both front and rear and traction for where I ride is excellent. Does give up a bit to a larger knob tire on climbs abd doesn't work well on wet roots and wet rocks, seems to get deflected easily. In mud it works well and sheds ok, in wet clay it gums up and takes forever to clean out.

Works great for where it is intended - Dry hardpack trails.

Similar Products Used: Bontragers
Bigsteve3570   Racer [Jun 11, 2009]
Strength:

Rolls decently

Terrible front tire it washes out in things it really should not be washing out on. Makes for a better rear tire, but you'll find higher quality ones out there, 60 tpi casing, susceptible to a flat every 2 weeks (just about), wears out faster than most other tires.

The problem is, this tire really doesn't have many strengths because it lacks any superiority in all of the categories. So, you'd think it would register as a good do all tire? Wrong! If these tires came stock on your bike, switch em out quickly

Similar Products Used: Small block 8s, Specialized Captains, Panaracer Fire XC Pros
Waterat Pat   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2009]
Strength:

Super low rolling resistance. I run this on the rear only. Like butter you will be pushing a higher gear with these tires.

Cornering. Hey Michelin keep the center tread design but add some continuous side knobs and this tire would be perfect.

If I am going to do an Epic 6hr ride at my local park Henry Coe this tire makes a big difference. I can handle the lack of cornering bite in most conditions as our trails here in Nor Cal are pretty groomed. Clears mud really well too. I keep coming back to this tire.

Similar Products Used: Nevegals, adrenalines, Fast Traks,... etc
jgroenhof   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2009]
Strength:

Great rolling, supple, very lightweight tire with good traction on hard pack and some sand.

Rocks, and granite. Knobs seem to fold quite easily on cambered surfaces, and climbing traction is pretty poor.

The Michelin XC Dry is a good tire for the right purpose. Unfortunately it is not right for me, I am rather a Clyde so that me be the difference. The tires aren't so hot around Laguna Beach, loose rocks, steep braking downhills and so on. It is a racing tire and I don't race.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Pythons, Gold and Airlights. IRC Mythos.
EXRyan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Tracks well and low rolling resistance. The small tread and compactness of all the tread blocks make this tire grip roots and rocks remarkably well, like a rasp file.

Can't comment, haven't ridden it enough to find any.
Will rerate this tire if my view changes

In no way will this tire grip or climb like heavier lugged tires, it wasn't designed to. So by that I mean that this tire does not reward sloppy riders and you may end up on your head, but it is fast and has great characteristics in the cross country arena.

On my bike I have the tires oriented as follows:
Tread Patterns opposing each other, where the rear tire digs with the broad side of the tread.
( >>>>>>>>>) Front

Tom Kapanke   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2007]
Strength:

Can't think of any

Horrible side grip. Front tire does not get traction when riding aggressive. I didn't get the grip I thought I would climbing either.

I would not buy this product again. Front tire washes out on dry, wet, sand, anything. I've rung my bell too many times to use this product anymore. Maybe if all I rode was flat double track, but I don't. Tires still look brand new and are hanging in the garage.

Similar Products Used: Kenda nevagal 2.1. Specialized roll-x.
Ruud   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

durable
good side grip
low rolling resistance (track and road)

Haven't found something yet... Maybe some better climbing grip, but ok it's a dry weather tire with less knobs.

The tire is marked as dry weather tire, but from my perspective, it's an all weather tire which can also handle some mud. I am very satisfied about the side grip, something which could not be said from the similar products I have used (especially the last tire mentioned). I like the low rolling restistance, so a ride on the road can be done too without changing your tire. This tire receives the highest rating from me. It's value for money and a great training tire.