Michelin XC AT Tire

The XC A/T cross country tire starts with the same world class all terrain tread pattern that helped Julien Absalon win both a gold medal in Athens and 2004 cross-country world championships. It’ s molded from a long lasting carbon black compound then added to a tough 6OTPI casing. The result is awesome traction and performance combined with beefed-up durability.

sandwich   All Mountain Rider [Apr 23, 2012]
Strength:

Rolls fast, great in dry and not too technical terrain

Dreadful in the wet, zero cornering traction, poor loose-over-hard traction

These tires came on my 29er, and at first I liked them, but looking back, the only time I had really ridden them was in the late summer at the kingdom trails in vermont. There, they were great, mostly. They grip well in light loam and hardpack, and they aren't bad on dry roots.

They get ugly when it gets wet though. Took them out recently for some new england trails, and in a light drizzle they slipped on everything. Rocks, roots, corners, leaves. They were absolutely miserable and I couldn't remotely keep up with my friends, regardless of the trail section. They were running much more aggressive treads though, and I have to imagine that helped. Maybe I could have lowered pressure a little bit, but I typically only run about 35psi.

These are a decent summer tire, and if I'm riding in mostly grass paths or rail-trail style terrain, I'd keep them on, but I'll be replacing them with more aggressive tires for general riding.

SKYY   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2011]
Strength:

Great overall tire, handles corners well

none so far

an awesome tire for the price

Similar Products Used: an array of WTBs
vfrrider17   Racer [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Awesome Mud tire for a 2-9er! Great traction all around too.

A bit slow on the dry and flats.

If you need a good mud tire or a tire for all conditions, and aren't worried about how fast you are in the dry, buy this. I use a set of kenda SB8s for the dry and fast and these bad boys for everything else.

myke2241   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap, decent traction, fast rolling, good braking. great in mud!

there is a learning curve corning high speed with these tires.

if you can find this for cheap get them. they are designed to ride at a little lower pressure. i roll mine at 35psi and have been pretty happy with the traction and speed. dialing the right tire pressure and choosing right tire combo for the terrain you ride is the more important thing for any tire. these are working for me in rocky lose on hard pack, muddy and wet sand. i have no issues with tread breaking up.

workingcat2   Racer [Sep 23, 2009]
Strength:

Very well rounded tire. Rolls well for a knobby at 35psi. Clears mud & sticks to rocks. I've raced in all conditions over two years & have yet to take them off for a course. Heck, I've got em on three bikes!

They aren't free

If you like to ride your bike & not change tires these are a good pick.

Similar Products Used: All tires!
zach.scofield   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2009]
Strength:

Relatively light, Nice sidewalls, Mud shedding, Sand traction, overall traction.

beads are not as pronounced as other brands

These tires rock.

I bought a pair off ebay for less than 30 bucks shipped and I am not disappointed at all. For a 2.0" tire the traction is great. It measures a true 2.0". My tires weighed in at 610gr and 615gr, just over the advertised 600gr each. In the mud they are very good, shedding anything you run through. On loose loamy trails they grip very good. on harder trails covered with pine needles and leaves they will not disappoint either, providing just as much traction as any other tire could. Cornering is predictable and they don't seem to want to break away. As it is early spring I haven't had much of a chance to do the dry hardpack but I believe they will fair well. Grip on wet rocks is pretty decent as well and technical trails dont hinder these either. Sandy sections are not much of an issue either as they pedal nicely through. I haven't had the opertunity to corner hard in any sandy sections so I can't report on that. This is a great tire if you live in the northeast.

I have only spun this tire out once on a pile of rotten wet tree bark going up a very steep climb(/). The only other issue has been in a uphill rock garden with baseball sized, loose, wet rocks. Running them at 40 psi seemed to make them want to deflect. I found running them between 33-36psi really helped alliviate that issue though.

Over all These tires are a top performing tire on the Northeast trails. The only thing I could ask for would be this tire in a 2.3" size for a bit more cush.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC pro, Tioga
nbutler   Weekend Warrior [Dec 15, 2008]
Strength:

great traction, sheds mud, flexes over rocks

price

these tires are amazing for cross country, i just think they should be a little cheaper

Similar Products Used: michelins that came on my bike (not sure what type)
Sam Handelman   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2007]
Strength:

Soft and high volume. Sold as a 2.2 but wider than the WTB 2.4. Great rubber gives great flotation while riding.

Rolls a little slow. No arrow suggesting the best orientation.

A good high volume tire, much more volume than the 2.2 gives it credit for. Short knobs probably make it a better dirt, rock, and mud tire. Like it lots on the rear.