Michelin Wildgripper Rock Tire

Wildgripper Rock

• Shallow tread very smooth running on hardpack or rocky terrain
  • Rigid shoulders with wide indentations for excellent grip when leaned over and climbing out of ruts
  • Multiple attack edges for excellent traction on hard terrain

• User Reviews (18)

Joe   [Mar 09, 2006]
    Strength:

Good street/dry hard pack tire, rolls well, decent traction, fast.

Taking tight corners at high speed.

I used to think this tire was just OK until I started using other tires. After riding other Continental and Michelin tires, I could not wait to get these back on my rims. It is just a smooth solid, reliable tire. I also like the Continental Sport Contact tire. It is very fast but you better not flat on a night ride because it is a witch to get on and off the rim.
    The Michelin Rock (now called Country Rock) tire gets the job done if you are a street rider.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Wildgripper City, Continental Sport Contact, Continental Traffic, Continental Town and Country.
    Doug Kline   [Feb 14, 2003]
    Strength:

Fast, quiet pavement tire with a very long life

Well, mud of course. Whimpy looking.

I have over 2000 commuting miles on a set of these tires and figured it is time to contribute a comment. These are great pavement tires. They're quiet and roll fast. The tread is thick enough to avoid the glass and sharp rock punctures I was getting with semi-slicks. And they are not showing any sign of wear - amazing.

So for conditions, dry pavement is great, damp pavement is good, standing puddles can be a problem. They do amazingly well on dry hardpack (even roots) but come up short on damp hardpack and are worthless in mud. And the edge blocks on the tires make them surefooted in corners.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Revolt SS
    Will   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2002]
    Strength:

+Low rolling resistance; makes my mtn bike cruise
    +Amazing cornering on dry surfaces
    +Very durable tread with low wearing
    +Possible to take these guys off-road but limited usage
    +Strong sidewalls; I know this because when I get a flat, I've been known to continue riding on them :)

-The channels can pick up stray debris (glass & metal) which means flats for you

I swear by Michelins despite the fact that Wildgripper Comp S's are awful :(

These tires are so durable & fast. I've never ridden a road bike so I'm sure I don't know what speed is; don't laugh at me.

I first got these tires to ride in a local charity ride & have fallen in love with them; is that possible? You can fall in love with a bike so why not tires?

At any rate, if you're a commuter, get these. This is especially true if you would like to ride your mtn bike on the road. Knobbies make for a great workout but be nice to yourself & buy these.

Take care & ride!

Similar Products Used: none, first "slick tires" I've used on any of my mtn bikes
    jaeger achim   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2001]
    Strength:

low rolling resistance , precise steering , multiple surface
    capabiltity exept mud , longlasting compound

i use these tyres for highspeed cornering on asphalt > wet or dry , they´re great for rock sand and gravel as well.
    at least i´d recommend them most for the summertime.........

Similar Products Used: tioga psycho , specialized pro control , ritchey z-max
    Felix The Cat   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2006]
    Strength:

Serious appearance, Wide, Smooth tread tire. Handles high p.s.i for more speed. Fits most limited width frame rails & forks. Semi-easy to mount on Ryno and similer rims. Fair traction on pavment & tarmac. Cornering traction median to fair on damp/wet surfaces.

Over the years, I have owned a dozen sets of these tires. Every one of them crack severly in the sidewall area. I have recieved new ones with cracks present in the sidewall. Doesn’t seem to affect the performance or longevity of the tire, however looks terrible. On some sets the sidewall rubber peels off in thin layers & they won't shine up regardless of the preservative used. Acoustic transmission (howl) is noticeable in both sound & feel even at low speeds.
    I wrote Michelin many times about these problems because I like these tires. Never recieved a reply from them. Amazing that a product so chronically defective can be sold for so long without a recall.

My criteria for any component has to be value, longevity & durabillity, fit AND finish (cosmetics), In other words, if it costs $100. it better last & look like it. Too much sub-
    standard "junk" comming into the market, at high prices & being passed off to the public as "components".
    The bottom line? If you only have $20. to $30 to spend on city tires, buy the Michelin Transworld City (2.0 wide -65 p.s.i).

Similar Products Used: Many other models of Michelin tires. No other Michelin I have used, has the cracking/peeling issues
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2004]
    Strength:

Durability. The tread is thick, which makes it very puncture resistant. The only flat I ever got (and I do a lot of commuting on city streets) was from a huge piece of metal that would have probably made a CAR tire flat.

Two things. For one, there's a ridge where the tread meets the sidewall that makes high-speed cornering pretty freaky (if you lay over onto the tread's border during a turn, the handling becomes really squirrely and uncomfortable). Another thing is that the hard rubber (which is great for preventing flats) isn't nearly as grippy as some softer competitors.

If you're a non-performance oriented commuter, this is a really nice tire, because its tread thickness makes it very sturdy and reliable. Just don't enter any fast events that require you to fly through corners...

Similar Products Used: Slickosaurus.
    John W   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2001]
    Strength:

Fantastic grip on slickrock.

Mud or loose dirt.

These tires are fantastic on the slickrock trails around Moab. The amount of extra control you gain over regular knobbies and semislicks is unbelieveable. It's most noticable going down those steep descents on the slickrock trail. Where everyone else is skidding, I'm braking with complete control - no skids. Also great climbing and cornering, and they do pretty well in sand (2.0 width).

Similar Products Used: My first slick, but have used Hutchenson Python, Continental Navigator/Traction Pro, Bonetrager Jones, Geax Hook/Warp, Panaracer Duster K
    Mark McCarthy   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 29, 1999]
    Strength:

Wide pressure range (35-80 psi), tread pattern, and sturdy construction

None observed as yet.

This tire has a semi-slick proflie; it has criss-crossing grooves with side indents. This tire is designed for rock and hardpack conditions. It's also great on pavement. I can go faster with less effort! Since I spend most of my time on pavement, rail trails, or hardpack conditions, I put these tires on my bike.The tires are 26 X 1.75. The recommended pressures are 35-80 psi, which is great. Between the tread, narrower profile, and higher maximum pressure, this tire has allowed me to use higher gears, pedal with less effort, and go faster. For my purposes, this tire is perfect!However, this tire, though it's a semi-slick, doesn't have any knobbies; it only has indents along the side of the tread. Therefore, if you venture into anything softer than hardpack conditions, say a dirt parking lot, this tire will NOT hook up. If you're going on any softer surface, then you will need at least a semi-slick with knobbies on the sidewall.Overall, I love this tire; for the way I ride, this tire is perfect! I don't go into sand or mud, so I don't need a more aggressive tread pattern. The high pressure, narrower profile, sturdy construction, and tread design are great, at least for me; this tire suits my needs perfectly, and that's all that matters.

Similar Products Used: None
    Emil   Racer [Jun 22, 2000]
    Strength:

Grip on wet asphalt, snow, and indeed ice! All those tiny diamonds that make up the tread cut through water, and provide edges in all directions, which helps a lot on snow/ice. No bull, I ride these on the frozen lakes - ice skaters always give me these weird looks....?
    Pliant ride.
    Never had a puncture, despite running them for two consecutive winters.

Supple sidewalls provide comfort, but compromise steering accuracy slightly.

Michelin rule the tyre market as far as I am concerned. Nothing, and I mean nothing grips as well on ashpalt, where I spend 90% of my time. (The other 10% sees the bike wearing Wild Gripper Lites.)
    The "City" does away with the last flab in the steering, giving absolutely orgasmic feel! (But, of course the ride gets a bit stiffer.)

The only thing that comes close is Vredestein, in carcass construction, but not in compound.

Similar Products Used: Similar semi-slicks from Vredestein, Continental, Tioga, Specialised, Vittoria, Ritchey.
    Wm. L.   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2001]
    Strength:

Best of breed tire for hard surface use.

None.

They stick to pavement and rock and roots like glue, and are MUCH better than the others I've used for off-road use. I'm especially impressed by two things. First is the amazing grip on pavement, and second is how well they work off-road. I have them on a single speed bike, and the combo makes for the ultimate simple and effective transportation. The most significant part of this review is that I have/had the Specialized, Conti, Kenda and Ritchey competition to this product and have spent enough time to really know how much better these tires are.

Similar Products Used: Similar hard surface tires from Specialized, Conti and Ritchey.