Michelin DH Comp 32 Soft Tire

DH Comp 32 Soft

For DH racing in ALL conditions, extra large 2.8" volume

• All new tread design.
  • Precise spacing of knobs maximizes grip & enhances high speed stability.
  • Scoop-shaped knobs increase traction.
  • New special soft rubber grips in extreme conditions.
  • Reinforced casing & sidewalls.
  • Specially designed bead wires for secure hold on rim.
  • Compatible with NAGESTI/Rigida tubeless rim. An effective tire for both downhill and dual slalom.
  • Size: 26" x 2.8"

• User Reviews (14)

Richard Utting   Downhiller [Aug 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Incredible over rocks and rough stuff, whatever the weather. Best rock tyre I've ever used.

i love it

I ride rocks, rocks and rocks. Sometimes dry and hard but generally wet and slippery and horrible.
    Tyres like the old IRC Kujo are fantastic WRT pattern, sidewall strength and air volume but are outclassed these days by softer compound grippier tyres. Well this tyre combines the two. It has an amazingly effective MX-inspired pattern, a big volume, burly sidewall AND soft compound.
    I've ridden all the top-flight tyres but this is the real deal for me. Over rocks you'll not find a better tyre, front or rear: It carves, it brakes, it grips, it doesn't want to flat, the sidewall is not too hard nor too soft - it's just great.
    They are on the heavy side but they could be worse; I think the penalty is worthwhile for sure.
    If you liked tyres like the Kujo but want softer compound then this is for you.

Similar Products Used: all the DH tyres
    delagarde   Downhiller [Jul 15, 2003]
    Strength:

as far as I can remember these tires offered the better grip over semi wet rocks and roots. I dont ride them anymore but I'm just about to buy a new set. In between I've rode mobster, highroller, kujo, tioga DH and gazza.

they very heavy and large, I switched to highroller and comp 24.1 for racing because these are lighter and pedal faster but i'll get back to them now for their grip.

I'm going all michelin, I just bought a set of MUD 3 they awesome. For everyday tire I'll try a comp32 in front and comp 24.1 at back. I like michelin tires a lot, highroller just doesnt grip enough for slow technical stuff. Comp 32 is best so far but expensive and heavy so i'll give :
    4.5/5 for overall
    4/5 for value

Similar Products Used: mobster, highroller, kujo, tioga DH and gazza jr.
    Grant   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2005]
    Strength:

Lots of grip, it feels like it is on rails. Very thick casing, i doubt anything short of a nail will puncture it.

Tire is much smaller than advertised, the widest width that i could measure on it was 2.5 inches wide at the casing.

So far this tire is kicking ass. I was hoping that it would be a little bigger than it is, its not quite as wide as a 2.7 maxxis highroller. The grip really is incredible, this tire goes through loose corners like it is on rails, very confidence inspiring. I don't really have an idea what the braking traction is like because i haven't had to slow down as much while running this beast. It is not a cheap tire, and it is not light, but if you want max. grip, this is the tire for you.

Similar Products Used: WTB timberwolf, WTB weirwolf
    Dan Smith   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2004]
    Strength:

sticky and gripy

I hate fitting any comp tyre

The best DH tyre I've ridden, gives you confidence.

I really think I'm quicker with these tyres but I could be imagining it!

Similar Products Used: Comp 16, 24, Tioga, Kujo
    Lester   Weekend Warrior [Jan 18, 2002]
    Strength:

Super soft and grippy, big nobs wear well and don't deflect much. Flat resistant, super strong construction(tubeless)and they're black, like tires should be.

Relatively heavy. Not an issue for me, my bike already wieghs 45lbs. and I still peddle this pig up hills too.

I'll be buying another set. These tires grip to anything, especially near vertical rock faces and wet slippery log rides. If you value traction over wieght these bad boys are for you. They grip best with 10-15psi max. It's like adding an extra inch of travel.

Similar Products Used: IRC Kujo 2.65 and 2.35, Maxxis Mobstser 2.7, Nokian Gazzalodi Jr 2.6.
    Rusty   [Jan 18, 2004]
    Strength:

grip for days, can run super low pressure without risk of pinch flat, huge!

who gives a frick about the weight

stiffest sidewall I have ever felt. incredible grip, this is a downhill only tire, you've got to have some nads if you want to climb with this pig. over 3 lbs.! 10 flamin' poops all around!

Similar Products Used: kujo?
    Jay Mac   Downhiller [May 13, 2006]
    Strength:

Stiff sidewalls, magic rubber compound (Michelin does have the cash for R&D) big volume, traction,

outter knobs can detach (such as the 909 FRO)

there is some (secret?) material in the compound that seems to just attract everthing it touches...big volume for N. Shore trails.

Similar Products Used: Arrow 26" 3.0<--biggest tire I've used 909 Fro
    Aron   [Oct 25, 2002]
    Strength:

incredible grip, can run low air without pinchflats, works great in all weather conditions

front tire picking up rocks and flinging them at my face on gravel roads ? ;p

this tire is great, has tremendous grip, i haven't had a flat since i've owned this tire for about 6 months and i run it pretty low air pressure. My riding friend uses the 3.0 Gazzi and it has nothing on this tire, buy it if you want one of the best DH Tires out there.

Similar Products Used: Gazzoladi, Arrow, Maxxis, kenda etc
    Scott   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2003]
    Strength:

Wide, tons of grip, can convert rim to tubeless.

Too wide for some forks/frames.

Remember this is a SOFT compound DH tubeless tire so it is heavier and rolls slower than others in it's class but will reward you with tons of grip and high speed stability.
    Not as sticky as a Maxxis super tacky but wears slower and rolls faster. Just converted my rim to tubeless and it is much better.

Similar Products Used: mobsters (all sizes and compounds), tioga DH
    Kelly   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2005]
    Strength:

Wow! Grip, grip, grip. Endless grip. Plattekill steep chute grip.

It is heavy, and, compared to the Nokian Jr. 2.6 it is really hard to pedal, but that is more than offset by the GRIP.

Grip! Grip to the maximum.
    I've been running the Nokians for about 2 yrs on my hardtail Banshee Morphine (and MC San Andreas before that), and I really love 'em for every day tires to commute/drop/urban - they're not too heavy, can run low pressure, and they last for freakin' ever.
    Plattekill, however, demands that you come as well equipped as you can be, and even then sometimes it does not permit you to descend unbroken. So, given that I'm riding a 5/5 inch bike, I decided to get the very best dh tires for my 8-10 trips a year. I tried the Nokians, and, at the time, they were the best. Then I tried Intense 909/Intruder combo, at the suggestion of James at Go-Ride, and, though they are sticky, they are also the heaviest tires I've ever ridden by far (I think the 2.7 was like 1800 grams or something like that!), and they wore like butter. On the recommendation of the posters here, I tried the Michelins (won't fit on the rear of the Heckler without rubbing, so I've gone back to the Nokians for dry, and the Intense for wet weather there - when I took the Michelin off the back because it rubbed, I put on a new Nokian Jr. I'd brought, and the next run down in some sloppy stuff was like a night & day difference in control and handling from the Michelin).
    All I can say is that these are by far the best dh tires for steep, rocky, rooty, steep riding. By far.
    I guess this is kind of overkill for a stinkin' tire, and I try not to rave, but these are the very best in their class. They're expensive, but not much more than the Nokians (like $8.00 more), and they're priced similarly to the Intense. Like the ad says, "not sliding off the trail and running into trees . . . priceless".

Similar Products Used: Nokian Jr. 2.6, Intense Intruder, Intense 909.