Michelin DH 16 AT Tire

• Optimum grip
  • Scoop-like knob pattern
  • Anti-roll' wire bead design

DrEVS   Downhiller [Apr 07, 2009]
Strength:

Pretty grippy

Poor for tubeless use. Tire casings are weak sauce and develop holes more easily than other tires I've used in the past. I understand they aren't designed for UST, so take this with a grain of salt. I would def NOT recommend for UST use.

I traded for 4 of these tires and 3 of them have left me stranded with tears in the tread pattern too large for sealant to seal. The 4th tire is still unused and will stay that way.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal - much preferred
Roy   Downhiller [Aug 26, 2007]
Strength:

Big, rolls extremly well. Sidewalls are very strong, you could ride it at low air pressure. Amazing traction.

A little heavy when used with tube, it is a UST tire. Very hard to mount.

I got sick of pinching rear tires and spent a little extra on Michelin tires. I am EXTREMLY please with Michelin's quality! I have never pinched a tube riding Downhill, And where I ride theres alot of rocks! They roll well and you can run very low air pressure with these tires. If you worry about pinch on a DH corse, buy these tires! You'll never ride around a rockgarden again! (You'll just ride over it without worries)

David Wise   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

Outstanding braking, even on loose/sandy(which is supposedly not this tire's strongest side) Corning traction was excellent, great traction everywhere. I am convinced that Michelin may be the best. Stable at high speeds.

A little on the heavy side, but it is a DH tire and it is BURLY!(a strength). May be just under advertised-width of 2.5", but still feels like a 2.5"

The tire's retail price is a little high, but definately worth it. After using the Kenda Blue Groove for a year then switching to this DH 16 AT, I am convinced. The tread design and construction quality of this tire is incredible. It is a tight fit on the rim with THICK sidewalls (This tire is tubeless compatible) This tire may have the best braking performance I have ever seen. Before I would slide and skid down a certain section of a hometown trail, but when I threw this tire on I was able to stop!! I dropped my jaw and screamed in joy... BUY THIS TIRE!! Huge confidence builder.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 Stick-E
French Exile   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

Great edging ability on mud and loose ground, good on roots and sheds mud well, predictable and grippy even in the worst contidions

Price, a bit more costly than most

I was looking for an alll weather all conditions DH Freeride tyre for Alpine trails in and around Les Gets as I could not be bothered changing tyres every time it dried up after a thunderstorm, or was wet in the early morning. I was running super tacky Minions but they clog up with mud if its really wet. The M 16a Softs are the best all round all conditoins tyre I have ever used, On off camber mud and rocks the stick well, in the wet of the "canyon" they grip well and break sharply when needed, on the fast DH runs they hold well on the corners even though the side knobbles seem softer than some. Highly recommended

Similar Products Used: Minions, WTB muds etc...
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

I'm riding the 2.5 tire. Rode 2 days dh/freeride so far and a few days dj around town. So far seem pretty good. Lots of traction and stability. I converted to Stan's tubless recently, and they seem to hold air really well.

None found yet.

Haven't put a lot of riding on them yet. So far they seem to be pretty good. Will post later with long term review on wear life. 4 chillis for now, until I can post a better review.

Brandon Nutt   Downhiller [Mar 03, 2007]
Strength:

-Hooks up like no other on wet roots, rocks, damp conditions, and wet (not peanut buttery, haven't found a tire that works for that) mud.
-Super tacky
-TUBELESS
-Very predictable
-Pretty much a standard for a front tire at snowshoe mountain
-use it on the rear if you want to rail turns and not drift

-kinda heavy
-side knobs come off after a couple months
-wear reasonably fast on the front but will be shred to pieces on the rear after a couple races

This is THE standard for an east coast front tire. I have no clue why there aren't more reviews because pretty much every downhiller I know uses/has used this tire. Buy now!