Michelin Country Rock Tire

Country Rock

The Michelin Country GravelTire is an all-time favorite for aroundTown and commuting use it is great for city streets, hardpack, and gravel. Ideally suitedTo hardpackTrails or urban use Excellent cornering grip Tire Bead: Steel ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 44 mm TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" Tire Use: Mountain, Road Published Weight: 560 g PSI: 29-58 PSI

Jeff K.   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2013]
Strength:

Very fast and quiet
Cheap
Great allround tire for XC and touring

Obviously not the best for mud or slippery conditions

This is quickly becoming a favorite everyday allround tire. It's kind of understated and a bit of an underdog. But if you like me prefer fast smooth XC riding in dry conditons this is a very good allround tire. You can use it on tarmac, gravel and pretty much any dry terrain. It's fast, quiet, turns easily, is long lasting and has decent grip.

If you ride in slippery conditions with mud or sand you'd want something with more volume and bigger and more aggresive knobs. And if you ride really rocky/gnarly terrain you'd probably want something more volume and shock absorption. But as compromises go this is a really good one! Great value too!

Steve   [Oct 02, 2012]
Strength:

It's very light with low resistant tread, narrow and good penetration resistance.

I am very happy with this tire. I bought a set for commuting purposes and hard pack trails. These tires made a drastic difference from the 2.2 inch wide knobbies i had on there before. Low price for a high quality tire.

Beluchi   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2011]
Strength:

Good mix for road and hardpack trail.
Low rolling resistance - quicker than knobbies.
Long lasting.

Grip on the loose stuff could be better.

Bought them in 2000. Back then they were called 'Wildgripper Rock'. They've been good over the years. No punctures.

Trevelyan   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2011]
Strength:

They're light, very low rolling resistance, cheap, look good and are perfect for my mixed road, dirt commute. They are the nutz!

Not that puncture proof

Buy them! Great tyre with loads of grip wet or dry.
Best all round tyre I've ever used

Similar Products Used: Tioga city slicker. Continental travel contact
chilone   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2010]
Strength:

Michelin (say na-more). Cheap, minimal rolling resistance, easy to change/mount, good looks. Oh, did I mention cheap?

Not self propelled.

Highly recommended!! I started commuting (part dirt road, part pavement) as sort of a fluke and at 9200 feet above sea level, I need all the help I can get. These tires are as close to a road bike tire as far as resistance and feel that I can imagine that will also work on moderate dirt roads. I'm surprised they are not more prevalent. Maybe people think because they are so cheap, they can't be good. Uhh.. wait... don't buy 'em. The price will go up!!!

Similar Products Used: I've never used anything similar other than road bike tires.
deezledubb   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2009]
Strength:

Durability is second to none. I have nearly 4000kms on my first set and they are still going. I had to rotate front to back around 3000kms due to wear on the rear tire but they are still holding up well. Not sure how much longer they will last but I am extremely satisfied for their longevity. Tires perform well in the rain and moderate cold weather. I weigh in around 230lbs and have them mounted on a GT Avalanche 1.0 if this will help gauge the bike and user for any readers.

Got a lot of punctures around 50% tire wear stage. I put some Mr. Tuffy to protect my inner tube and this solved the problem. Also found that tires do not do well on loose sand or mud, but this is not their design.

If you want something smaller than the 2" or so you find on mountain bike tires, or like to use your mountain bike for city commutes, I highly recommend Michelin Country Rock. I cannot say you will find any better for their application.

Similar Products Used: I migrated to these tires from the Michelin Country Gravel which had a more agressive grip pattern. Nothing else was tried afterward due to satisfaction garnered from these tires. I wanted something for pavement but also allowed for hard packed mud riding - they have performed beyond expectations.
Swedja   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2008]
Strength:

quiet,very low rolling resistance,just for city and cross country,no flats so far,high psi(I am 202cm-6'7 and 110kg-240),in the beginning tires r really thin and skinny but over time they r kinda wider and look better on your bike...

no mud,no rain...but 4 that I use different set of wheels with Schwalbe Smart Sam 26x2.1

I will buy them again and again and again...so far I roll them 2.300 km and they look fine...

Similar Products Used: Kenda Short Tracker 26x2.1
GroverTheClover   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2008]
Strength:

Very quiet and grippy on the pavement (Compared to dedicated trail tire). Can handle some hardpack fireroads. Cheap! Although I purchased them on sale, the full price is still $20 per tire.

None so far.

These tires are an excellent bang for the buck and can convert your mountain bike into a road friendlier bike. I primarily use them for doing rail trails or riding with my roadie buddies on the street. As a bonus, they've got enough tread for hardpack fire roads and don't seem to lose too much traction in wet conditions. If you plan on riding on pavement recreationally, they're a great fit for a mountain bike.

Similar Products Used: Nothing else was recommended by the tech for my needs (recreational rail trail/road use).
brandonbacc   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2008]
Strength:

Little to no rolling resistance. Smooth ride.

None so far!

I have really only used these tires on the road/hardpack so far. Pulling my kids in a trailer and easy rides. Never a problem with traction in hardpack. Very high psi for a wide tire. No flats yet :) Recomended them to other riders looking for a good street/hardpack tire.

306maxi   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2008]
Strength:

Inexpensive, low rolling resistance, good handling on road, quiet and just an all round good tyre for hardpacked trails

Treads seem to clog up easily in wet/damp conditions and I can imagine it's not the best in very wet, muddy or rough conditions but by the same token you wouldn't expect it to be with the way it's tread is.

Took it out for a ride on a 2.4 mile trail I ride on every day and gained about 1 mph in average speed even though I had to stop 4 times because dogs were chasing me (a problem as it's a shared trail) so I think on a clean run it would be about 2-3 mph faster which is a lot when I only do about 11 mph usually. Not tried it out on anything particularly rough and probably won't as I have a set of XC Dry 2's for that. If you ride on hard packed trains that aren't rough and don't have any loose stuff then this tyre is the one for you.

At £8 per tyre I think they're very good value too.