Maxxis Xenith Tire

Xenith

Cant miss value on greatTires. Lightweight folding bead, M201 Sport Competition casing with a dual compound slickTread. 62A inner compound provides long wear and rolling resistance, 55A outer compound for cornering grip. 60TPI. Great for fair-weather racing! Type: Front or Rear Pressure:To 130 PSI Weight: 250g (700 x 25c)

theblackbear   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2011]
Strength:

Cornering, (low) rolling resistance, weight, puncture resistance, ease of installation.

None that I can think of.

I don't do mud, so I got a second set of wheels to set up for the road during the rainy season. To say my rear Motoraptor didn't inspire confidence cornering on wet pavement is an understatement, and that 2.35 is way more tire than you need if you aren't hammering down a steep rocky trail, but I had an old set of 2.1 Nevagals that were practically slicks anyway which I used on my "road" wheels the first year. Then I read about competitive cyclists bringing along a set of wheels with the Xeniths mounted so they could hop on their bikes at the motel between trips to the mountain. As an ex-roadie, I appreciate the low rolling resistance of a high-pressure tire. These aren't Vredestein TriComps 145 psi clinchers, but 80 psi still makes a difference, and and at 450 grams vs. 700 for the Nevegals, combined with the Zonos, which have a low rim weight for a sturdy wheel, the feel when accelerating and climbing will surprise you.

Similar Products Used: Worn 2.2 Kenda Nevagals (for winter road riding)
DIRTY DUCK   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2011]
Strength:

Nothing

High rolling resistance for such a light weight, slick tire.

I purchased a set of these tires for my MTB so I could occassional ride on the road. I usually run WTB Velociraptors or Conti Race Kings depending on where I'm riding. The Xenith tires are soooooo slow, have a high rolling resistance and feel like they are getting stuck to the road. Granted, they are faster on the road than Velociraptors but then again, only an idiot would use Velociraptors for any extended road riding. My Race Kings are way faster than the Xeniths. I average 2-3 MPH faster on the Race Kings than the Xenith!!! I guess I just wasted my money on these Xenith tires.

Similar Products Used: none
patrase   Weekend Warrior [Jan 11, 2011]
Strength:

Great tyre, rolls well, mounts easily on my wheels(can get them on and off without a tyre lever. Look cool (my mates reckoned they looked great). Must be tough as I have ridden through heaps of glass for only one puncture. I heard you can patch up cuts with shoo goo, so i will give that a try to make them last even longer. I tried these off road when i took the long way to work - pumped up to 60psi on a rigid bike they werent too bad.

not as light as some (schwalbe durano, michelin wild runr advanced) but it is probably more puncture resistant. Had one puncture, but that was after the mardi gras in sydney and there was heaps of glass around.

Highly reccommended for commuting, probably too heavy to keep up with serious roadies, but still way lighter than most slicks. Buy the folding bead version if you have a choice.

rassenholf   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent looks, perfect sizing, grips well on dry, hot tarmac and also good in the wet.

Easy to get punctures if not careful due to totally slick surface.

The new 2009 Xenith comes with a orange ring along the sidewall which makes it a perfect colour combi with my bike frame's colour. I was lucky enough to get this set from a buddy who can't get used to slicks at all and passed them to me just when i was to change away my Michelin XCRs. So it's killing two birds with one stone and its free!!! Overall very good, but the Michelin is much grippier and more expensive...

Similar Products Used: Michelin XCR slicks, Maxxis Detonator, Panaracer T-Serv
hkmeup   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2008]
Strength:

Very fast rolling tire, kevlar bead, lightweight (388 grams), perfect width for my mountain bike, spin nice and true with no wobbles, no punctures yet, cornering grip.

None.

Just an awesome tire. These tires roll as fast or faster than the Specialized Fat Boys while being easier to mount and offering a more compliant ride. Way faster than the other slick/semi slick tires I've used. I've been using these during the workweek on my Superlight and then bang on my second set of wheels with knobby tires for the weekend (no road bike for me!). Racking up serious road miles is easy with the Xeniths.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Fat Boy, Tioga City Slicker, Kenda Kwest, Ritchey Tom Slick.
jim   [May 27, 2008]
Strength:

No tread at all.

No tread at all.

I've ridden 1000km on these now. Brilliant on bitumen & concrete. No resistance at all & no noise - excellent traction on corners and braking and very resistant to point punctures. This makes them perfect for urban commuting. I reckon they have more grip than Metro Duros.

Obviously not good on anything unsealed. They're also too narrow at 1.5in for hopping around a lot, which result in pinching of the inner tube and flats - but then that's not what they're designed for.

All up these are great for commuuting and v. good value.

Similar Products Used: Metro Duro IIs
Mauricio Iwayama   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

Amazing grip at sprint, braking and cornering, durability, noise, light and puncture resistance.

Rode more than 1400Km with no flat!
I feel I'm rinding a Superbike with such cornering speed.
If you love fast riding and strong braking you'll love them. Best Slick tires ever!

Similar Products Used: Kenda Kwest 1.25 (Garbage)
Jeremy Chan   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2006]
Strength:

sticky as hell, nice round profile that you can crank all the way over for urban rides/commuting. corners feels like that on my motorcycle.

none really - although some ppl reckon they are sketchy in the wet? just get more weight over the front and lean it over - no need to worry about aquaplaning when the tire really bites into the ground when u have 80-90psi in it

get these tires if u love to roll fast and corner like a mad man :)

Similar Products Used: maxxis worm drives - they rolled ok but didn't corner as progressivley or as aggressively as the xeniths
7.62   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2007]
Strength:

Durable and sticky. Great traction on fast turns.

I've put on 2200 miles on these tires in about 8 months. The front tire has about 8 thorns and 4 pieces of glass in it and has never flatted. The rear tire has a few pieces of glass and has gone flat ONCE. Not too shabby for these tires. I'm ordering another set since these are wearing out. Great tires.