Maxxis SwampThing Tire

Maxxis SwampThing Tire

The rubber used in the Swampthing is firm enough that knobs won't fold, yet soft enough to hook up on wet rocks and roots. The rounded profile allows the Swampthing to hook up without digging into the soil.

• Cleated knob design digs deep to allow optimal cornering, braking, and acceleration
  • 2-ply DH casings with butyl-protected sidewalls

[Jan 02, 2015]
Rouch R

Strength:

Mud: Very nice 5/5
Snow: Very nice 5/5
Melting snow: Poor 2/5
Asphalt: Great 4/5

26x2.5´s patternt is not wide and tight enough for melting snow.

Good tyre.
Price has very big volatility in different countries

[Jul 14, 2013]
sam
Downhiller

Strength:

It will flawlessly grip on anything.. Sticks to the terrain like chewing gum sticks to your hair. You can corner like the Jesus of mountain biking.

Tread pattern looks odd, maybe that is just me.

Buy it. I have never had a washout on this tire at all. From riding here in NI, everything is mud, roots, rocks and gullies and it handles all no prob. Better than any kenda or panaracer I've ever used.

Panaracer fire fr

[Jul 11, 2011]
mtbmike
Downhiller

Strength:

Best Downhill tire ive ever used. Never slips. took it out in 4 inches of snow!

NONE@!@

Ive used TOO MANY TIRES AND BY FAR THIS TIRE IS THE BEST!

[Jun 13, 2011]
SCALA-X
Downhiller

Strength:

good tyre in loose terrain

no possible to attak cornering in hard pack terrain

its a good tyre for loose and wet terrain but is not possible to attak cornering in dry hard pack. i ride more in dry conditions and when it's dusty (loose over hardpack in very dry) its impossible to be in confidence and must rolls very slow..

minion

[Mar 25, 2011]
lel-95
Downhiller

Strength:

amazing grip in any conditions, excelent wear rate

none!

an amazing tire, i have used it in all conditions and never lost traction yet

minions, highrollers

[Jan 11, 2011]
JAYDMF

Strength:

Great tyre all year round, Nothing (and i mean nothing) grips like this tyre

Heavy and slow rolling but thats the price you pay for the protection that the casing gives and the grip you get.

If you want a tyre that will not only stick to trails like sh*t to a blanket but will last, run without flats all year round all conditions and inspire confidence to nail the trails then look no further.

There are tyres that come close to this one but none that surpass it (not that ive come across yet anyway). Anybody that wants speed in the summer then get yourself something else (mountain kings, minions, verticals or prowlers) and anyone that wants XC tyres either prepare for the drag or again get something else.

I mainly only run these on my DH bikes but ive taken my Mr Hyde on a trek with these on and although its not easy going its so much fun on the downs in the middle of winter knowing youve got all the control you could ask for.

Little bit expensive but worth it

Nokian Gazzas, High rollers, Minions.

[Nov 15, 2009]
the kamisai
Downhiller

Strength:

GRIP!!! absolutely amazing control
going from wet to loose no problem and on hardpack the just wont let go.

some people would find them just a little bit to heavy... it didn't bother me but i don't ride the street much.

buy these if your going to do any freeride or dh.
if you are one of those complainy xc or road cyclists then find something lighter weight .

maxxis high roller and the dhr

[Sep 16, 2009]
tex5491

Strength:

Puncture resistance, grips great on every thing but sand

heavy

This tire is heavy but it will not go flat on you. On top of plenty of rocks here in austin all of the vegitation is spiky in some form or fasion and i have ran over it all. If you hate to change or patch tires and dont mind the weight than these are perfict.

Bontrager JonesXR

[Mar 28, 2009]
deserteagle99uzi

Strength:

Excellent front and rear tyres, Grip and Hook Up better than anything I've ever tried and inspire ridiculous amounts of confidence in all conditions. Use with Stan's tubeless or similar tubeless system and low pressure (under 35 psi) to achieve true potential

Extremely high rolling resistance. When DHing I use both, when XC riding I only use this tyre in the front. When using on both wheels the slightest patch of loose gravel will feel exactly like riding onto a velcro patch.

First let me be clear: THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 2.35'' Width Tyres. I would also like to point out that I have never tried running these over 30-35 PSI and have ALWAYS run them tubeless with stan's tubeless system (www.notubes.com), I would not bother running them with tubes as the grip is 2/3 of the reason to run them at all. After painstakingly parsing many of the reviews on this website and testing about $500 worth of tyres over an entire XC season in southeast Missouri I can confidently say that this is the BEST front tire for almost any condition XC trail riding.

From the small amount of DH that is possible in missouri (not much elevation change but plenty of long DH stretches) I am fairly certain that I wouldn't try any other tyre besides this for DH riding.

While these tyres are rather heavy and thus have poor rolling resistance they hook up and grip in ways no other tyre has come close to being able to do. I have been able to develop my weekend warrior riding techniques into XC racing level times primarily b/c of how hard these tyres allow you to push turns and rocky loose downhill sections. The tread is simple yet effective shedding mud very quickly and giving amazing grip even when skipping over rocks and roots in loose conditions at high speed.

I primarily run these tyres in the front b/c the high rolling resistivity lends to very poor momentum transfers on trails when put in the rear. This effect is the only downside to running these tyres in both front and rear, however it is quite pronounced to the point where I actually slow down going down slight hills if I hit loose gravelly or sandy sections that other tyres like the Panaracer would just float over. This may bother some users, others may not really care particularly if weight saving/flow is not top priority. I switch my rear out every week or two depending on how I feel and how long of a trail I have. While the flow is killed by running these rear there are many climbs which would normally demand a low gear and careful line choosing which can just be powered through when running this tyre rear because of the crazy hookup it gets on almost any surface. My Panaracer feels like it's having to scrape around roots and rocks when I climb with it and I have to stay carefully aware of my weight distribution so as to keep enough traction in the back. All of this thinking and body positioning can simply be ignored when running this tyre in the rear as It grabs ANYTHING like a pair of pliers with little to no weight on it; if it slips it's not for more than a split second before it immediately hooks up never forcing me to pop out and put a foot down.

While I would never consider using anything but these for my front tyre I would recommend using it as a rear sparingly, wet/loose trails/conditions make this an invaluable rear tyre but it will slow you down significantly and kill your flow for normal trail riding purposes. Durability has been excellent as running them at the 30 PSI tubeless that I do and weighing 190lb's borders on abuse. I can say that I have never punctured one of these in 2 years of riding while my panaracer's have suffered multiple flats both with tubes and without.

The only issue I can think of with these is that they have a VERY pronounced wire bead and thus are EXTREMELY hard to get on and off a lot of rims, I would recommend setting them up tubeless with something like stan's kit (www.notubes.com) as a tube change on the trail could literally take 1/2 an hour and might require a bit of oil to slip the bead off the rim.

Maxxis Ignitor, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Velociraptor, A variety of highly ranked tyres on this website.

[May 26, 2008]
Erik

Strength:

terrific traction in all conditions, especially slippery roots, rocks and mud. will not let go.

none so far

great tire for slippery conditions. I run 2.5 front and back and these tires have really impressed with ability to power around over and up surfaces that in the past other tires have lost traction on. For those in dry climates this tire may be overkill. FYI these were a real b*tch to put on my rims. Tight tolerances with Maxis and my DT swiss wheels? Oh well, besides that these are awsome.

wtb, ritchey, specialized, bontrager, panaracer