Maxxis Ridgeline Tire

Maxxis Ridgeline Tire

• Round profile for consistent cornering
  • Fast on hard pack

[Oct 27, 2012]
bigpedaler

Strength:

Low rolling resistance, easy cornering (hardpack/commuting)

don't handle technical terrain well

I wanted to continue my search for "the perfect tire" for my uses, and decided to give Maxxis another chance (the 2.35 Ignitor came up short). Since there isn't much in the way of trails around here any more (one decent network at a park 10+ miles away -- I'm car-free), I look for a tire that handles smoother terrain, yet can take it when I find places to suddenly get silly.

The Ridgeline is a decent tire for that, just not quite the best; they were, in fact, a little less capable then the Michelin Country Dry I went back to. But, since I have other riders in the house (daughter & 2 nephews), the Ridgelines won't go to waste.

[Jul 16, 2009]
e_hermo3

Strength:

Fast, low rolling resistance, w/ a tight tread pattern. Definitely meant for dry, hard pack. Decent weight.

Lack of decent side knobs makes for some drifting when leaning/cornering...especially on looser terrain. Haven't experienced wet/tacky terrain yet, but seems like it could be an issue.

Not a bad tire for stock spec's especially for a majority of the local trails that I will be riding. Ive only ridden 60 miles or so on them, w/ a little less than half of them on the road (bike commute to work). Seem like they'll last a while. You can't expect them to corner like High Roller's or Nevegal's, but the pay off is lighter weight, with some nice speed on dry hard pack. I haven't messed around w/ running different tire pressures so I can't comment w/ too much detail. In the future I could see myself swapping out the front tire for something like a Maxxis Ardent/Advantage, and keeping something similar for the rear. As for now, Im stoked just to be riding again, and have been having a blast on my Rize 4!

High Rollers, Intense World Cups, Panaracers, WTB

[Jun 21, 2009]
flman

Strength:

These are great for wet and dry riding, they go over wet mossy logs and rocks like they are dry. They have very little rolling resistance. Very soft and forgiving. They hold up well to shark fin blue stone trail, now signs of tearing in 2 months of use.

Not very good in the mud. They will through stone dust at your frame when you ride in the road, but only when they are new.

If you ride rocky, rooty, and over dead trees these are great, wet or dry. If you ride in the mud or sand, get something knobby.

One of my favorite searches on Ebay is Maxxis Ridgeline, I hope to get some slightly used ones at a good deal from you nay sayers ;)

I have used mostly knobby types, so I can not compare to these, but the knobbies slip on wet surfaces, like logs, roots and rock.

[May 27, 2009]
Hobbes

Strength:

Good looking.

The front tire picks up every small rock and trows it to the frame. The rear traction is terrible.

The traction is really bad unless you are riding on pavement or similar. Replaced with Nokian tires.

Comparable to WalMart Tires

[Dec 10, 2008]
Tackhammer

Strength:

Low rolling resistance, quality.

Don't work well in mud or wet roots - obviously their not intended for that.

I like these tires for dry weather. No flats yet. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. Once fall came around I put on my Panaracers for trail riding.

[Oct 17, 2008]
papkec

Strength:

Low rolling resistance, great dry traction

A little slick in mud but well worth it for the low rolling resistance

I got these because they were pulled off of a new bike in the shop I work in. I saw them as a less expensive option to the Hutchinson Pythons. They have exceeded my expectaions; I normally ride dry hard-pack with lots of roots and they work great. I recently rode some loose rock/slick rock and much to my surprise they were really stable.

Too many to remember...closest competitor: Hutchison python

[Oct 07, 2008]
JDM

Strength:

good grip, low rolling resistance, no flats yet

none yet

I only have experience with the three tires mentioned above, and the Maxxis are easily the best. The tread pattern doesn't look very deep or aggressive, but the seem to grip well over wet roots & rocks, loose gravel and hard packed dirt. They also have noticeably lower rolling resistance than the Specialized 2.3's.

Specialized Roller pro 2.3