Maxxis Monorail Tire

Maxxis Monorail 26 x 2.10 Tire. Racers take note: If you?re looking for a fast, light tire with a consistent, predictable feel from straight-line to corner, the Monorail delivers. The micro-ramped center knobs offer spacing to grab rough and sandy surface

DJ Feelgood Phil   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2011]
Strength:

Very little rolling resistance, cornering, traction in dry conditions

None. (Considering it's used in dry to mildy wet conditions)

Used on REAR.

Excellent choice if you are looking for a dry season tire. Fast, stick like glue in corners, eat dry hills for breakfast and decent in mild to medium damp conditions.

Fair price.

I would recommand it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, WTBs, Bontrager(!)
aesambell   Weekend Warrior [Dec 11, 2010]
Strength:

Climbing and cornering.

It didn't like the wet conditions, however it still worked like a tropper through some sloppy sections.

Great rear tyre with excellent cornering and climbing abilities. Didn't miss a beat.

stud_muffin   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2010]
Strength:

Rollin' baby! What a difference a better-rolling knobby makes! Monorails are fairly light, have very predictable handling and great cornering. I have both Monorails on front and back wheel and, surprisingly, they seem to work very well at downhill parts, cornering, climbing, and rolling like no other tire I have tried before.

The spacing between the knobs is significant, so I wonder how dangerous the rock gardens of east and middle TN are going to be for this tire. On the flip side - tires have Kevlar compound and thats not easily punctured based on my previous experience with the material

I have done 3 2-hour rides on Lock 4 trail in Gallatin, TN on these tires and I am extremely impressed with the rolling ability combined with great grip, stability, and weight of these tires. As I have said, the knob spacing makes me a little worried to hit to rock garden like I used to on WTB Weirwolfes, but thats only important for some of the trails that I ride.

Overall, they are pricey, so hunt the web for good deals, however, they are worth every penny if you ride twisted singletrack on dry hardpack, wet roots, occasionally have to hit the pavement, leaves, and rocks. They seem to shake dirt slowly and will clog up, however, I don't ride much in mud; if you are like me - give them a shot.

Also, as one reviewer has mentioned before, they are a lot more rounded once mounted on a bike than the picture shows. The knobs are also taller than they look on a picture.

Similar Products Used: WTB Weirwolf (heavy and bad rolling, incredible traction particularly in cornering), Specialized FastTrack (light, good rolling, ok traction for my trails), Bontrager Jones XC (pretty bad), other Bontrager tires (not impressed with anything).
xcracer76   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2010]
Strength:

Rolls extremely fast. Corners like it's on "rails." Works amazingly in dry,, hardpacked conditions. Super light.

Don't expect to brake late with this tire in the rear. It will lockup and skid, but if you have good brake skill, this won't be a problem for you.

Buy this tire and use it on the rear if you want a tire that will make you incredibly fast. It climbs like a bat out of hell and corners like it's on rails. I put this tire on my bike again recently and remembered how amazing it is. Don't buy it for downhill and super-aggressive all-mountain but if you want a low resistance tire with good cornering for your trail machine or technical XC race bike, this is your tire.

Similar Products Used: A ton of Kenda's and Specialized's
DAYSNWAYS   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2010]
Strength:

Predictable grip, fast rolling, very direction responsive, easy mounting in ust. Punture free to date. Not popular, thats a bonus in my book!

Fast wearing, not for muddy conditions

Perfect tire for summer trail riding. It's best quality is the way you point it, it goes, very responsive to what you do, like being on rails, hense the name i suppose?

Similar Products Used: Scwalbe Nobby Nicks
neilos   Racer [Dec 27, 2009]
Strength:

All round best xc tyre we've tried and weve tried a few....

A little harsh on the scale.

We ride rocky singletrack, mud, loosepack, and hardpack over here. All in one race sometimes. The monorail LUST sidewalls UST tyres are the best we've tried. They bounce off rocks, roots, are are just about indestructable. We have well over ten racers here riding these tyres annually.
You know your wearing the best rubber when the boys who own and ride Mankele mountain biking use them...
Come on Maxiss R&D boys shave some gramms...

Similar Products Used: TT Larsen, Crossmax, Kenda Nevegal, block eight etc..
Sideknob   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2009]
Strength:

Light
Fast rolling
Reasonable traction on moderately loose surfaces
Accurately sized for a 2.1

Washes out for me on the front end - no sharp edge to dig in. Lets go REAL fast in loose over hardpack.
Skitters to the side on the back on loose corners - but this can be good at times!

This review is for the 2.1 Exception, run with tubes.

I got this tyre off eBay paired up with a 2.1 Rendez front. The Monorail is a rounder profiled tyre than most photos on the web suggest - it lacks the square edging knobs of the other 2.1 Maxxis XC tyres like the High Roller, the Rendez and the Crossmark. As such, when you hit loose stuff there's nothing holding an edge and it can just wash out all of a sudden. I do not like this tyre as a front tyre for my conditions - for strict hardpack it would likely be OK. On the rear the tyre rolls extremely fast, but given the light casing it is not much good in rough and rocky conditions, where it pinch flats easily. On sharp, loose corners the Monorail tends to drift out to the side a little - this is not all that bad as it helps the back of the bike come around for the corner. Climbing - if it's loose, unless you run low pressure and weight the back this tyre will break loose on steep climbs, but that's to be expected given the low, close and ramped tread. Mud - mud sticks like mad and does clear fast.

I feel this is far better as a rear tyre than a front, paired up with something that has more side bite. Good race tyre, good for smoother trails or for a bike that sees a bit of tar on the way to the trail.

Similar Products Used: Dozens of XC and trail tyres - too numerous to mention
swervin'   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2009]
Strength:

Rolls fast, holds an edge very well. Awesome for railing the flat corners!

Not good for the mud, but not designed for this. If you want a mud tire, get a tire with some big lugs that rolls slow.

This is a fast tire you can trust in the turns. Holds well on climbs. Good in hard pack and loose and pretty much everything but mud. Wears well - I don't know what some of the other reviewers are talking about: 'save it for race day??' I have had mine on for about 1000kms and in that time run races, 24hrs, downhill riding at Whistler. The tire has survived well I would say. It's getting tired now though and I'm getting another one. (I run it on the rear).

Similar Products Used: Maxxis crossmark, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Kenda small block eight, Specialized the captain.
phayde   Racer [Oct 14, 2009]
Strength:

Almost as fast as the CrossMark but with predictable traction and cornering. Good in loose and hard-pack, handles rock & root climbing well. LUST sidewalls. Great race tire you can trust.

A little on the heavy side (UST/LUST) but it will last the course of the race.

Maxxis is very proud of all their tires... $$$$

I have shredded many a captain, washed out too often on the Crossmark, and ripped the casing all to often on the racing ralphs. This tire seems to be the best in the middle, not the fastest (ralph/crossmark), not the greatest traction (mountain kings/captains) but this is right in the sweetspot in the middle. You can push it hard in the corners, and fly in the hard-pack, braking and climbing are also solid.

Net Net is this is a great racing tire when you want speed, control, and durability.

Similar Products Used: Captain's, Racing Ralph, Crossmark, Mountain Kings, Fast Track
Pedela   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

Review is for a set of 2.1 Exception Series on front and rear
Quite light, held air well tubeless with Stans, roll ok

They only roll ok, not real fast, don't transition well from the centre row to the outer knobs, unique (annoying for me) hum and vibration from centre knobs on hardpack

These didn't work for me. The buzz probably comes from the unusual line of centre knobs & it's annoying on a quiet singlespeed ride. There is a gap each side of the centre knobs (compared with many tires that have a rounded profile & even spread of knobs)which made the front vague just at the start of leaning into a corner - I actually lost the front end a number of times when I was starting to turn in to loose over hard corners (never on several other tires/bikes I use on the same circuit) - unnerving. I also found these tires didn't cushion very well (I run tubeless about 28-30lb) but this could be due to me going down in size - I now run larger (about 2.3) lightweight tires on everything from the singlespeed hardtails to the longer travel trail bike (including the XC race bike). On this bike I've ditched the Monorails and gone back to 2.3 single ply Larsen TTs (generally Maxxis make excellent tires) which are more comfortable, quieter, more predictable in corners and roll just as fast. I'll give these tires a 3 rating rather than 2 because to be fair I haven't tried them in a wide range of conditions.

Similar Products Used: Believe me, I started mtb racing in 1990 and I've probably spent thousands in search of a better tire for race & trail - on my death bed I'll have to confess that I never found the perfect tire