Maxxis Minotaur Tire

• Engineered for the demands of professional racing and high-performance riding
  • Hardpack to Medium-loose soil conditions
  • High tensile multi-layer Kevlar beads
  • Cut-resistant tread compound
  • 26 x 1.90 low-profile casing

• User Reviews (16)

zach   Racer [Jul 14, 2003]
    Strength:

relly grippy light, low rolling resistance

wears out fast knobs peel off

a great racing tire but if you plan on riding on the road bike you should use other tires or have a road bike

Similar Products Used: irc mythos xc, panaracer dart 2
    Josh Emmons   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2007]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance,and very lite. the tires are fast also.

The tires don't last long, one season for me, and now there as bald as a baby's butt... and the tires don't grip sand, nor rocks, the tires are not that great.

I hate these tires with a passion, if your looking for a tire to buy, DONT BUY THIS ONE!!!

Similar Products Used: NONE!!!
    Rich   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Very light at a true 378 grams! Mount easily, track well. Good all around cross country tire.

Thin skinned and prone to flats from thorns.

Well...I bought these tires before reading the reviews but rode them afterward. So...I expected the worst performing tires one could imagine, but, that is not what I got. I can't believe these reviews are of the same tires I got. I love these tires! They are very predictable in all kinds of terrain and they are noticably lighter than my last set of tires the Panaracer Smoke and Dart combo. These tires lighten up the steering so that I am able to point the front tire exactly where I want it to go, and it goes there. I've got about 200 miles on them so far and am very pleased with their all around performance. If they suffer at all in traction it is when the soil starts to get soft, cakey or muddy. They get me through but traction is limited in these conditions. I've gotten one flat so far with a thorn puncture, but it was a pretty big thorne. Otherwise, the tires seem to handle the sharp rocks and wet granite quite well. I do find myself riding up climbs a gear higher than with my previous tires. This, I feel, is due to the light tire weight and the smaller tire diameter than my previous 2.1 sized tires. Anyway, I find them fun to ride on. I have also had to re-adjust my suspension settings for the lighter weight of the Minotaurs. This was a plus since now my suspension seems to be more responsive to the changing terrain. I recommend them!

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Smoke and Dart, WTB Moto Raptor.
    Jean-Marc   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2001]
    Strength:

light so it won't load you recycle bin too much
    very easy to dismount, fold and trash

Ride on the bare rim you'll get better handling.

This tire made my bike handle so bad, I almost get rid of the bike. It gave the worst ride I had in years.
    Stay away at all cost

Similar Products Used: hutchinson, Specialized, IRC, Michelin to name a few
    John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2000]
    Strength:

Very light weight.
    Fast rolling and accelerating.
    Great road feel and feedback as a front tire.

Very rapid wear as a rear tire. My rear tire has worn out after 450 miles.
    Jittery handling for the first 100 miles when used front and back until the rear knobs began to wear down.
    Very expensive especially when considering the rapid wear.

I liked these tires after they "broke in" after about 100 miles. Confident handling on single track. The front tire has almost a gyroscope effect-it continuously is forcing you to stay on line. Great on pavement, hardpack, loose soil, damp conditions but not mud. I was immediately able to climb hills using the next higher gear then the one I would normally use due to the reduced rolling resistance. I could also descend familiar trails at a faster speed with more control. Unfortunately, this performance doesn't last for very long. Best performance was between about 100 and 300 miles. I expect about 750 miles of life out of the front tire. I do not recommend that this tire be used on the rear due to the rapid wear and initial tricky handling until the knobs wear down a bit. Use the Wormdrive instead.(My rear tire is a slick after 450 miles.)My rating is therefore for use as a front tire only. I think there are better values out there. This tire, as Maxxis states, should be used for racers only.

davide valentini   Racer [May 20, 2001]
    Strength:

the weight, good grip over steep ascents, wery mud friendly

the worst tire i've ever used, absolutely unpredictable even considering the small section, knobs are too flexy so you can't control the front and, for the same reason this tire doesn't roll

the worst mtb tire i've ever used, especially dangerous for front use, i'can't believe i've bought a tire like this only becouse of marketing hype (380 grams)

Similar Products Used: wormdrive 430(much better), spec. mt baldy, sppedmax and many others
    June Mizoguchi   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2000]
    Strength:

Fast!! and good grip on hard pack trail and loose trail.

Soft compound = won't last forever

I'm using Minataur for the front and Worm Drive in the rear. When I fist go Minataur tires, I used as F/R but I began to find out, using for rear was bad idea. Too soft to use as Rear. As even Maxxis recommend to use Worm Drive as combination and it is awesome. If you are looking for speed then here is the setup for Racing that will pass your oponents in no time. I just keep rolling and rolling. In the wet/mud Minataur (front) can handle but, mud wont clear up too much. As of rear as worm drive you will know.. not great. .. Have fun and try it.. expensive but it does the job very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Michelin Widegripper F/R
    Juan Carlos Guarddon   Racer [Apr 20, 2000]
    Strength:

light weight (380g)
    great traction on loose and hard pack terrain

may not last long

I have a minotaur on the front and rear wheels because there are still a few muddy spots in the trails. They hold perfectly in loose conditions as well as dry (dont know about sand yet). I ride rough and haven't got flat tires yet.
    In one ride I lost the front brake and I had to lock the back wheel on steep descents which destroyed many knobs in the rear tire, so it seems that the tire may not last long.
    This tire is intended for racing only and they are pretty expensive so I would only recommend using them in the race, dont waste them in training rides.

Scot Douglas   Racer [Apr 17, 2000]
    Strength:

Light weight

longevity(?)

This year I'm racing the local point series on my single speed and need all the help I can get! I ran the 380 Minotaur on the front and the Wormdrive 430 on the rear. Just this past weekend I raced in a local timetrial and were very happy with these tires. They helped so much that I could've ran a steeper gear, had I taken on with me! I usually ride the F/R specific Ritchey Speedmaxes; The Maxxis tires performed about equally as good as the speedmaxes overall. There were two differences:
    1. The minotaur bit alot better in the corners than the speedmax.
    2. The wormdrive gave up grip (Climbing and braking) compared to the speedmaxes.
    I am very happy with this combination on the hardpack/sandy course I raced on. I cannot speak for the wet performance of these tires.
    Also, these are race-only tires and I bought these knowing that a set should only last 50-75 miles. Funny thing is, after 20 miles of racing, these tirs still look like they're in good shape. I'll report back as the season continues...

I'm giving a good value rating because I lucked out and found a good deal on the tires.

Similar Products Used: none
    gavin   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2001]
    Strength:

low rolling resistance

skittery and inspires no cornering confidence whatsoever

soon as i got this bike i put the xc's on and it was great. popped the maxxis jobbies on (that came with the bike)to see how they went and immediatly regretted it. sure they have little rolling resistance which is good on a long slow climb but the secong you get some speed up they just feel awful. skittery does'nt really describe it, more a case of thinking that the front is always going to wash out... you just don't want to corner on them (had the same problem with velociraptors, think its down to the long high tread on the edge of the tyres)! other prob is that when you do lean into a turn they just flop in, carving turns just does'nt happen.

bottom line is (sorry maxxis) they're cr@p. the UK mags gave them a bad write up and i have to say i really agree. i'd have been well p@ssed if i'd actually bought them!

i'd give em' zero chillis but mtbr don't give me that option!!