Maxxis Kraken Tire

Rear semi-knob for hard-pack terrain. Lateral center knobs are spaced and ramped to roll fast, yet still provide excellent traction under heavy braking and acceleration. Center diamond knurled tread coupled with angled center knobs keep rolling resistance down and traction high. Hard 70a durometer compound.

Oytun   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2001]
Strength:

good at first

wealnesses after several use

take it to ride on mud

matt   [Dec 14, 2007]

I bought a pair of these on super closeout for about ten bucks. I used them front and rear and on the first ride fell into a huge mudhole when I came within about 6 inches of it.

They really suck, especially in anything remotly damp. Dry hardpack, sure they work and roll well, but thats not asking much front a tire.

I experimented with one on the back and a good tire up front. It kinda of worked until riding over a log and the rear just spins out on top of the log, or riding through some mud and just spinning out.

Good if your mainly going to be riding hardpack, roads, gravel.

Kilroy   [Mar 29, 2004]
Strength:

black walls fo looks

red stripe, weight, overall performance

I don't think I would actually recommend someone buying this tire unless they really wanted slicks but still needed knobs for occasional off roading. Or if maybe all you did was hard packed. But if you get into the loose stuff, or if you get into roots (which ideally we shouldn't be rolling over), or if the conditions are wet then you'll be wishing for more traction and that to me is what a tire is all about. Traction! If you need a great all around aggressive xc tire, this is not it. If you're look to beef up a commuter and need knobs but are into less resistance for pavement than perhaps this is for you.

fatcat   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2006]
Strength:

great low resistance rolling, bought the folding kevlar bead so its very lightweight, good sized side knobs, good xc tire

weak sidewalls, feel flexy when making hard turns, but most kevlars tires have weak sidewalls anyways

for $20 they are a good tire, Kevlar and somewhat lightweight. youre not going to win any XC race on these, but great for trail riding.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos, Michellin Wildgrippers
Mat   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2002]
Strength:

Grippy!

Fragile
Soft

Both of the tyres of my bike were Maxxis Kraken.

They didn't last one month! The front tyre got a large slit after a little rock was jammed near the brake! In the first place I said.. well, I'm not lucky! It was my second ride with these new tyres!

The rear tyre... well, I had to brake on some little rocks again! Then the tyre split itself on the surface.

Damn!! This is mountain bike tyres!! I don't use it to go to church!

I didn't have problems with my IRC Mythos. My next tyres will probably Michelin though!