Maxxis Ikon Tire

Maxxis Ikon Tire

The EXO Protection is a lightweight woven fabric that greatly enhances the puncture protection of the tire. The 3C Triple Compound uses three distinct layers for optimal performance. EXC technology uses a Special compound mixed with a high TPI to create a lightweight, durable tire.

[Jul 09, 2016]
Rodrigo

Strength:

Good cornering in semi-loose terrain

Piece of crap for $80 (retial, 60ish online or slae) the side walls are as tender as baby skin... First one got a side cut , unrepairable, decided it was my fault and bought a second one that laster probably 150 miles or so, same thing, out of everyone tellling me these were great tires, bought the third one (i know....) this one lasted maybe 50 -60 miles and got another sidewall cut.

Piece or crap!

Cross mark

[Apr 20, 2016]
Gags

Strength:

Amazing levels of grip. Easy to setup tubeless. Seem to be reasonable for wear but time will tell.

None so far.

I running the 2.35" 29er tyres with EXO sidewalls on my Surly Karate Monkey singlespeed. Have been running Specialized The Captain for some time and I couldn't believe how much extra grip the Ikons gave me as soon as I fitted them. I am running Stans Arch rims and I was able to get these tyres to seat on the rim and inflate using a track pump only and initially without any sealant!! I am about 103 kg (about 225 lbs) and after playing around with pressures I ended up at about 30 psi which is a bit higher than I used to run The Captains but my bike is hooking up on the corners better than it ever has and one mate in particular who is usually quicker than me through the twisty stuff is now not able to keep up with me :)

Specialized The Captain
Specialized Renegade
Specialized Fast Trak

[Dec 24, 2015]
Maldo
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light, good rollover, slow wear

no good traction on any loose surface.

I have the 27.5, 2.2 EXO. It came with my '15 Santa Cruz Superlight. Just recently switched the front tire with the Ardent 2.25 EXO since it has better over all traction IMO.

[Nov 16, 2014]
s russel

Strength:

Light-ish....

Sidewalls suck and this tire is expensive. Cost's more than a motorcycle tire.

if you ride in a mushroom field this may work for you but add rocks and you will be fixing flats.

[Feb 22, 2014]
leigh

Strength:

Good grip.

I am running the ikon tr with stans. Not sure if they had a faulty batch but I have blown 2 side walls in a handful of rides. Both with a 2 cm split. So stans can't seal this and just Poors out.

I would not buy again after spending $140 for a week of riding and now have to buy 2 new tires.

[Apr 30, 2013]
Jamesm925

Strength:

seals up perfectly for tubeless use. literally hasn't lost any air since I mounted them 4 days ago>
very durable rubber
very grippy
corners very well, much more so than my race king race sports
rolls smoother than the race king race sports

none that i've discovered.

I purchased these tires after a pair of continental race king race sports FAILED on me after 150 miles due to a sidewall puncture on a seemingly smooth trail.

The race king's sidewall on the rear was badly wearing and showing threads after my first ride, albeit a 50mile single track ride.

the conti's NEVER held air from day one and weeped stans massively all over the sidewalls. I went through 6 CO2 cartridges on the first two rides w/ the conti's.

in contrast, the Ikon's sealed up and haven't even dropped a single PSI over 4 days. I used 3 oz of stan's b/c the conti's left me paranoid of the tires not sealing. the conti's burped, and weeped sealant all over the place.
the ikons are just plain solid and work extremely well when set up tubeless on a UST rim (easton ea 90xc).

The conti's rubber felt slippery and smooth.
the rubber on the Ikon's feels sticky and tacky--very grippy.
It's just a stronger tire.

I browsed reviews of the high end xc tires on mtbr, and the only tire I found that actually does what it was designed for and doesn't fall apart after a few rides are the Maxxis Ikon EXO's.

Stop wasting your money on continental's poorly designed tires that utterly fail, and pick up a set of the Ikon's.

I've ridden them around the rocky front range trails, and have yet to see any sidewall wear or notice any loss of pressure.
They roll super smooth and corner very predictably.

continental race king race sport 2.2

[Jan 14, 2013]
Tjay
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

-Lightweight at 558g and 559g on my scale
-tough sidewall (exo version)
-Good price ($50)
-cornering is good for this low profile tire
-volume is pretty good but not as good as race king 2.2
-long thread life
-no noise on asphalt

-minimal traction (uphill)
-breaks loose easily when brakes are applied in the rear.

Although this tire is not noisy, it is not that fast for XC. I think crossmark is faster with better braking. Just doesn't have the cornering bite as the ikon's.

race king 2.2
crossmark exo 2.1
small block 8 2.1

[Oct 06, 2012]
ejeaston

Strength:

Handle well

Not the best fit on Crossmax wheelset, very loose, and delamination (see explanation below)

I purchased this tire set 12/2011, but did not use it until 5/2012, as it was used on my summer 29'er. The tires were run on Mavic Crossmax 29er wheels, originally set up as tubeless. I put in excess of 300 miles on them, gravel, single track, & pavement, prior to a hundo event in CO. Prior to this event I aired the tires to 35 lbs. On a fast decent, I braked hard on a rock face to scrub some speed. The tire burped significantly, causing the bead to break free & subsequently dropped me. Fifteen minutes later, after tubing it, all was well, with the exception of my badly bruised shoulder. Three months later, during a 12 hour adventure race, I was decending on a gravel road at speed. The back tire which was still tubeless (front was tubed after the previous crash), developed a delamination or separation of the outer rubber layer from the nylon mesh/fiber, resulting in a series of four blisters, all within 90 degrees on the tire. These blisters ranged in diameter from 1/2 inch to 1 inch, such that the large ones would hit where the seat stays meet. After tubing this tire, the blisters had to be popped such that I could finish the event. At the time of this episode, the tires were aired up to 55 lbs, 10 lbs less than the stated 65 lbs on the sidewall. Goal was to have high pressure, low rolling resistance, durability to finish the race.

I have contacted Maxxis however they have not responsed to my inquiry. I contacted the retailer, who has been in touch with Maxxis. Maxxis informed them that they would not warranty the tire as their stated warranty is only for six months from purchase. The retailer has honorably given me a credit to keep my business. This credit will not be applied to a replacement Maxxis tire.

If you need a basic tire that handles well and is light this might be an alright tire. If you prefer a tire that you can expect to to ride for an entire season, that is safe, this may not be the your first choice.

Kenda Small Block 8
Hutchenson Python

[Sep 30, 2012]
Ascary

Strength:

Super light, fast rolling, plush ride, wear slowly.

Needs Stan's refills every 3 weeks or so, but haven't flatted out while its got Stan's in there. Floaty over thick sandy areas.

Have been enjoying these tires in the Deep South Texas trails of loose dirt/sand mixed with hard pack thru cactus n thorn brush. They don't like deep soil, but will break loose in a very controlled manner...I fell once, but rode that sideways for at least 10feet before I actually hit the floor on my side...I know this b/c of the trench the tires left behind. I learned theyre limits and tend to drift around corners in loose dirt. super fast on pavement, they drone a little, but no where near all other tires I've used. I can say theyre faster than small blocks and lighter too. They've been wearing evenly to my surprise compared with the small blocks, which tend to wear out the center knobs on the rear tire. I'm 200+lbs so I run them at 35 to40psi just out of habit from other tires...but I noticed I could go lower with no problems.

Crossmarks, nevegal, small block.

[Sep 02, 2012]
4kracing

Strength:

Fast rolling, light weight, great traction,

I haven't found any yet.

I am using this tire in the 2.2 EXO as a front on my Gary Fisher 29r hard tail and the Maxxis Cross Mark in the rear. I have been riding mtb's for 16 years and have used a plethora of tires and this one rocks. Some people look at the low profile knobs and think it won't be good for a front tire, but they are mistaken. I live in So Cal, and the area in which I live is a mtbing mecca with lots of hard pack with loose over, and other ares have soft mountain loose dirt. In short, a little of everything. With this tire I can rail turns and brake late into corners with complete confidence. It blows away the Specialized Captain control I was previously using, which too slow for me anyway. I do ride aggressive for a 54 yr old, but I also rode and raced dirt bikes for 24 years in District 37 at the expert level, so I'm a bit OCD when it come to tires. Also, some guys say it doesn't work well in gravel or mud, and honestly, not many tires do. If the road has a gravel surface you need to adjust your riding to deal with it, the tire is not going to do that. Remember, a skilled rider can look good on bald tires!

In closing, I am using this tire on Stans crest wheels and running about 25 psi in the front with no problems. So go buy this tire for the front and rear and rip up the trails. As a side note; This tire compliments the Cross Mark in the rear very well. See you on the trail!