Maxxis Ignitor Tire

Maxxis Ignitor Tire

The Maxxis Ignitor Mountain Bike Tire's wide spaced tread sheds mud and rocks like mad, so you can rip in full-on mank without your bike gaining weight every five feet. Pentagon-shaped nobbs and a medium tread compound help you corner well in a wide range of trail conditions. With many World Cup victories under its belt, this Maxxis tire gets the job done on race day.

[Sep 04, 2018]
ongnamodevnamo1

Strength:

This tire is afraid of nothing and will climb any obstacle you have enough leg to get over. It does not slip in mud or loose rock a fabulous MTB tire

No weak nesses

Model Year:
2018
[May 06, 2018]
Dorantroy

Strength:

Great for dry rocky, slightly loose terrain. Rolls fast and is pretty light. I ride in AZ mainly and it's been a great tire choice for me, 29x2.1. This tire also does very well in sand and gravel at 35-40psi. A larger width would handle loose terrain cornering better but still has done very well for me.

This tire does not do well in extreme wet or muddy conditions, but will handle lighter wet conditions just fine.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Jun 09, 2013]
red bank rider

Strength:

Light, rolls fast, a good race tire for DRY conditions. It's like using racing slicks in dry conditions.

Doesn't shed wet dirt mud or sand very well. It's like using racing slicks in wet conditions. Sucks if the condition are anything but dry.

This review is for the 29er 2.1 version. I think for the budget XC racer, this is a great choice. It's relatively cheap, is comparatively light for 29er XC tires out there so it's a budget weight weenie pick. And rolling resistance is quite impressive in DRY conditions. (sand, hardpack, dirt, clay). It also performs well over rocks, logs, cornering berms.
Where these tires really fail is if the conditions get wet. Everything sticks to these tires (sand, dirt, clay, mud, ice) and they don't shed any of it well. My best comparison is racing slicks used for motorcycles or racecars on asphalt race tracks...they are awesome in dry conditions , grip well and are very predictable. But if there's any rain, the last thing you'd ever want is to use slicks in the rain cause the grip is gone. Same thing with the ignitors...in the wet, it gets so caked up, any semblance of tread or knob or grip is gone. I think these are are condition specific light, fast XC tires for dry conditions, but not a versatile all-around tire choice.

[Oct 18, 2012]
John Buswell

Strength:

Predictable. Suits loose, dusty conditions. Corners well.

Quite narrow. Fair bit of rolling resistance due to knob design (as would be expected with MTB tyre however).

I run these tyres front and back. I find they respond well and can take the dry dusty conditions that most of my local trails offer. They are predictable and give enough warning when grip is being lost to save it. Other tyres often give out to quickly in the dusty conditions. They corner and climb quite well also.

It could possibly be a good idea to run something wider on the front but they still feel quite capable as a set.

[Sep 11, 2012]
PinkGorillaCycles

Strength:

Corners well Especially in loose conditions. Squarish profile works well for me.

Maybe not the fastest roller. I think the benefit of the extra speed through the turns more than makes up for it.

I've ridden lots of tires over the years. The profile of this tire tends to be one of my favorites. For me, it really bites the corners in all conditions. It's very predictable. I generally only use it on the front and use a WTB nanoraptor on the rear. It would be cool if they came out with a 2.35. Now that I'm not racing anymore I'd like a little more traction, cush, etc...

[Sep 09, 2012]
Troy Fretwell

Strength:

predictable, roll fast, corner well

expensive

I have tried a lot of tires, usually going through 2 or 3 of the latest/greatest each season.
The Ignitors have changed that.
These are my last choice for riding XC in Utah. They roll well, they are durable, and they are predictable.
Any tire will slip if pushed hard enough. The Ignitors grip really well, but when they do slip they do it in a predictable, controllable way - allowing you to recover. They don't just completely let go like many xc/freeride tires, dumping you on the ground before you even realize there is an issue.

[Aug 01, 2012]
RIVER29
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

It's a tire

Everything! One of the worst tires I've ever bought.

I've always had the philosophy, since I'm not rich, that I would buy the best tires I could afford and replace as necessary. I have rode on a lot of cheap tires. This time I decided to buy what my LBS recommended regardless of cost. They sold me a Maxxis Ardent front (an awesome tire) and a Ignitor for the rear. This tire is insanely crappy. Things that I got used to being able to pedal up on my WTB Weirwolves (a cheap tire) are no longer possible. A rock with dust on it will make it spin for sure, god forbid you hit an off angle root. Pinch flat on my first ride. Rolls slow. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

[Jun 30, 2012]
citiznkain

Strength:

- Treads worked better than the stock Kenda's on my bike
- Had better stopping power when coming around fast corners when only using the front brake to avoid sliding out.

- tire size is smaller than my original set of tires. my stock tires were a 2.1 as are these. however the tire height is around 1.5" from the rim to the edge of the tire tread.

I ended up picking this tire as an emergency fix at a bike race i was doing today. I accidentally put the front tire of my bike to close to the exhaust pipe of my car. needless to say it melted the tire, tube, rim tape, and the crap plastic reflector. I was able to pick this up and race. it worked better than i expected, especially since i put it on literally 3 minutes before my race began. i just wish the tire was a little more beefier. other than that the tire is solid.

[May 02, 2012]
rclugnut

Strength:

rolls very well, fairly light weight

a little loose in the wet stuff

These came stock on my kona blast and intially i wasn't too impressed they were a little too loose especially in the rear for my liking, i was also riding in fairly wet conditions at the time, fast forward to this summer after running nevegals all around i drop these on and i feel like somone turbo charged my bike the roll wayy better than the nevegals in dry conditions they work great hook up well hold a corner well and are very predicatble the rear can get a little bouncy and pops off stuff here and there but it's always very precitable and you learn to expect it and keep riding through it. for more agressive/faster riding i have nevegal up front and an ignitor out back, as i started to feel the ignitor starting to lose a bit of grip through some turns on sandy hard pack, the ignitor out back is a champ tho and if you know how to ride (i have gotten significantly better since i first ran these tires) they will treat you well and will be very fast and shouldn't give you any traction issues unless you're bogging through the mud all day long

[Apr 26, 2012]
PeT

Strength:

Great front tire, wears exceptionally well, sets up tubeless easily

The round profile of the tire works well in the front for leaning into corners. There's the right amount of knobbiness for dry and loose conditions. I've yet to ruin either of my Ignitors and they end up getting put back on when I try other tires as the others get cut or don't work as well. In the rear, you can tell it's a knobby because of the road buzz through the saddle and consequently I like it as a front specific tire.