Maxxis Ignitor EXO Tire

Get fantastic traction on any terrain with Maxxis' Ignitor. The smaller knobs deliver low-rolling resistance for flying on the straights, while the...

Brice   [Jun 17, 2013]
Strength:

Great traction on wet, rocky conditions. Can run tubeless with Stan's no tube sealant and low pressures (25 psi).

Some comments say the 2.1 is limiting but I haven't seen it yet. That said, I would like to see a 2.2 option.

I have used the Ignitor's on a 29'er hardtail for years and had a good experience with traction in wet conditions. The standard Ignitor has thin sidewalls and the rocks tend to cut them. The sidewalls on the EXO are stronger which is a plus for rocky trails. I now have a 29'er dual suspension and put the EXO's on it and very happy with their performance. I would recommend these tires for riding in rocky, rooty, wet conditions.

Ant   Racer [May 17, 2012]
Strength:

It's not always easy to beat your predecessor, but the exo after a few rides is one durable frigging tire.

Price is high. But then again all tires prices have come up as our weak dollar doesn't bode well for trading with China. Also China has waged the wages of it's employees, the price of oil has gone up, etc. We will be paying a lot for good rubber from now on.

I have always liked the Maxxis Ignitor. Marketing can take a good company to a great company, and in the case of this new exo version of an already race proven tire, Maxxis is using good marketing and some well thought through developments in technology to give us a kick butt Second generation Ignitor. Say what you will...but racing is a Battle of nerves as well as it is a battle of wills. So..with that in mind, why wouldn't we want a race proven tire that has more durable sidewalls? Why wouldn't we mentally crave for any piece of rubber that makes us feel confident at 30mph down a bunch of rocks and roots and fellow takers nearby.

I have ridden the old Ignitorz for 3 very harsh northeast race seasons in Cat 2. We have nothing here except for rock gardens, steep climbs, bombing downhills, and float fast single track. We have tons of rain, mud, spring loamy trails, wet rocks, wet roots, wet leaves, and wet asphalt. With 23 to 28 psi in my old Ignitorz I never flatted, and with the new EXOs, I plan to hammer for many more years to come.

Sturdy, great grip, great front tire for me. I run the Ikon exo on the rear, and I can use this setup for almost every race we have here on the Northeast. For any course that is just dry and fast and not that technical, I'll put an ikon up front.

Maxxis did a great job with this new more durable, Ignitor. Thanks Maxxis