Maxxis Holy Roller Tire

Maxxis Holy Roller Tire

The Maxxis Holy Roller BMXTire is constructed of a steel bead and features an inverted semi-knobTread pattern. Inverted semi-knobTread pattern Item Specifications Tire Bead Steel ISO Diameter 406 ISO Width 44 mm ColorTread/Side Black/Black TireType Clincher Tire Diameter 20"

[Jan 28, 2018]
Allrotor13b

Strength:

Coming from the Kenda K-Rad, which is a fine tire for casual riding, this tire became my go-to for its incredible grip. While it lacks the durability and mileage of the Kenda, it far out-classes it in every other category: compliance, grip, predictability and it even holds its traction in the dirt.

The down-sides are mileage and puncture resistance

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Nov 27, 2012]
50calray

Strength:

Durable, Semi-light, low rolling resistance for street and hard packed dirt.

Avoid lots of: Sand, Water, and Mud

I picked these tires up used wanting to experiment with a Urban/MTB tire. They had about 30 miles on them to start and I put just sightly over 100 miles my self (80% trail riding). I have cruised around down town Dallas, up/Down Katey trail (paved rec trail), and ridden 3 different mtb trails in the metroplex.

Cons: for obvious reason the Holly Rollers don't really preform well in mud, water, and sand. They will sometimes slip while leaning the bike real low in corners on hard packed trails.

Pros: durable, light weight, low resistance for street and hard pack trails. I mentioned water as a con but I have zero issues crossing small streams..

Over all I highly recommend these tires for the Urban Commando who is looking for both a solid commuting tire and an offroading tire for that occasional construction zone or short cut through vacant lots etc.

[Jul 24, 2012]
Gabriel

Strength:

Not many kinda strong

Week tire too expensive wears quickly highly susceptible to bubbles from coming down on an angle...not nearly as good as the dmr moot that tire is much better cost strength all around

Week tire not impressed and rather dissappointed from maxxis

[Mar 11, 2012]
phdinfunk

Strength:

Rolls well over nearly anything. Good traction. Good bounce.

Heavy.

I'm using this as a front tire. Still using Kenda Kwik Roller on the rear for lower resistance where my weight sits.

I went out and rode 40k of backcountry mountainous Taiwan roads with this new tire on a rainy day.

Holy Roller was noticeably heavier than my previous Kenda KwikRoller front tire. I don't think the holy roller gets a lot of road resistance because I felt the weight on acceleration but it seemed to want to keep the momentum after I got it going. I have it near Max PSI.

I absolutely LOVED the fact that it stuck to the pavement everywhere and I could roll over uneven roads, rocks, cracks in the pavement, grooves in poorly-poured concrete farm roads... basically anything. Where I live, there are a lot of adventurous roads and single track.... not a lot of really high-quality roads. This tire improved my feeling of confidence on my bike. I tested it before my ride by breaking hard and also riding in some parking lots with gravelly old pavement or just sand and gravel. I also tested it riding over a lot of uneven ground, changes in pavement, etc.

I even did an intense little experiment. Outside of a temple are some marble steps about 2" high. I hit that wet marble at a very acute angle. The holy roller slid for a couple of inches little then caught and went up it. However, my Kenda in the rear slid hopelessly along the obstacle until I was much closer to straight on. It matters less in the rear though, as I'm fine with it sliding a bit (and I don't usually drive on wet polished marble). My Front Kenda had been sliding like this on uneven pavement and catching grooves in bad concrete for the last several months... Front tire slides = bad.

Overall I'm happy with this tire, drove faster with it, felt more comfortable with it, and believe I will keep it on this bicycle for a long time. I don't really think I would need a tire like this if I was just riding around town, or sticking to well-maintained roads. If I go for a very long ride on good roads, I will consider changing tires back to the Kenda. But for riding around stony cracked up concrete, old farm roads, rocky and sandy singletrack, this seems to give me what I was looking for.

The only other tires I've used are Kenda Kwik Rollers and Michelin Country Rocks.

[Feb 13, 2012]
chuckbuck

Strength:

Rolls fast, surprisingly grippy, nice rubber compound, absolultley amazing on pavement even when rainy. Looks cool.

Probly not good in the mud but that is obvious, so, no weakness. Perfect tire for what its designed for.

If you use your bike for commuting as well as recreation off road, I don't think there is a better tire. Looks like a semi slick almost, but grips like crazy. I have no issues at all. I don't think it is UST though and some folks migh not like that. I personally like tubes and never want to go tubeless so it's not an issue for me. Awsome tire, buy one now.

Panaracer Fire Freeride (BRUTAL!) Kenda nevegal, pretty awsome.

[Oct 09, 2011]
Petti the Yeti

Strength:

Grippy, Fast rolling, very plush

A little slippery on rooty climbs, or in wet spots

So far, I am very impressed with the 26x2.2 version of this tire. Bought them on a whim just to complete my Chap, and I don't regret it.

Took them out to a kind of jack-of-all-trades trail with a lot of slow ups, fast downs, and curly switchbacks. Only had a few threats of washing out over the downed leaves, and had a couple of rear wheel slips over roots while climbing, but they held true 95% of the time.

Taking drops and jumping with these feels like I am hitting a cloud, not accounting for the 5" travel of my frame. And even some of the longer DH runs felt perfectly fine on these, where previously, I was only fine on my Sunday with 2.5 Nevegals.

They do like to launch rocks and sticks in every direction if you hit them on the side part of the tread, though, so watch out.

Overall, I would recommend these for nearly anyone. XC over hardpack and rocks, Jumping in loose or grass, DH through gravel and dust, even commuting and touring wouldn't be too bad on these. They are definitely my new favorite tire.

5 for value
4 for the slippery condition performance

I'll update in a couple of months as they wear.

Kenda Kwicks

[Sep 29, 2011]
clarkenstein

Strength:

Sticky - like a 5.10 shoe for your wheels

Weight

This tire is great for street. I was using knobbies for my urban riding and they are significantly faster, quieter, and they actually helped inspire a little more confidence in my riding just because I feel like they stick to everything I ride on.

I did take them out on singletrack and I will say, they did really well for me. It was a damp day, and there was some sections of mud on the trail. They held their line great 90% of the time. I had no issues going over slick roots or rocks, but when I hit a patch of mud, they were totally worthless. They shed mud instantly, but it's like riding on ice. I found just going as fast as possible through the mud made it easier, they just skated through, but if you have to turn, they are totally unpredictable in the muck. Otherwise, in damp/tacky soil they were actually pretty good for an x/c ride.

[Jul 22, 2011]
YetiSuperX
Downhiller

Strength:

Longlasting, high grip

Maybe a bit too much rolling resistance as front tire. Very little though

Superb rear tire! Longlasting is the thing that stands out the most. Very grippy too though and very effective even when pedalling very hard with clips. Oh, did I mention, very longlasting. Used the same tire for over a year now and it still looks almost like new. I'm very brutal with my tires.

Maxxis DTH, IRC Siren, Schwalbe, Kenda

[Jun 28, 2011]
lachie :D

Strength:

great traction, low noise, rolls fast for such a wide tyre (i got the 26" x 2.4") LOOKS SICK hah XD

nothing ive found yet, and i dont think i will find anything!

this is by far the bestest looking, highest peforming and the best valued urban/dirt jump tyre on the market today! out performs the K-rad and small block 8 by a long shot and wears great. no loss of grip in wet or loose gravel, but stay away from mud, gets abit slippery...overall, BUY THESE TYRES!!!

small block 8, Kenda K-rad

[Jun 17, 2011]
b-rad

Strength:

There just not for me I guess. They look cool.

I have them in 26" and there just not great at any thing not real off road and not great for on. I guess I'm hooked on tires that you can run at allot of diff pressures and this one likes to be at max or else it dosnt corner well and I think it has allot of drag for the traction it provides.

I prob should have asked around more but by reading the reviews I thought they would be a little better.

I am back to a small block 8