Maxxis High Roller Tire

The High Roller is Maxxis' most popular mountain bikeTire, and for pretty obvious reasons. It's extremely versatile, featuring ramped leading edges and grooved center knobs for a fast roll and straight-line control, plus side lugs for extra stability at speed and a sharp edge for corners. With its wide arrange of features,The High Roller is well suitedTo any mountain biking discipline from XCTo freeride. Select models use Maxxis' "LUST" lightweight USTTubeless casing, as listed3CTriple Com

Amato   [Jun 04, 2014]
Strength:

Grips like a motha!

The speed will make you stupid.

Use to worry on fast berms and loose sand due to skidding out with my old tires. All that fear vanished after the first hour with the high rollers. If your still reading this and haven't bought them yet then your wasting time.

Marco Antonio Avila   [Dec 23, 2013]
Strength:

Rolls fast, good grip and handling

too soft compund wears out fast in asphalt, did not resist an impact

Got two of them (Tubeless) from my local bike shop here in Mexico, here all the bike parts are more expensive than in US, the tire performed very well but using it in the city wears out rapidly the tire, finally In a ride in the mountain it impacted a rock and form a terrible bump that turned it unusuable, fortunately I was almost retuned to my truck, but if this would happen up in the woods it could take me a couple of hours to come back.

I´ve read very good things about MaXXISS but this one failed me.

Watch a pic of my tyre here:

Alberto C.   [Nov 17, 2013]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, nice grip in compacted ground and sand. Good in tarmac, even when it's wet. Good for agresive cornering. Good as front tire.

Not as good for gravel and loose stuff. They won't work on mud.

I have got this as front tire for 3000 km and it still works. They are pretty good for long XC rides in summer, when you can find sand and compact soil. There is no problem if you have to ride on asphalt. You can even handle on rocks. Rain isn't a problem.

However, they are not confident on loose stuff and gravel, specially when breaking or descending. They totally fail in mud, they cover quickly with a layer of soil .

Cornering it's ok, not as progressive as in other tires, but they won't fail when you need them. Puncture resistance it's pretty good. Nice front XC tire for summer.

phclaw   [Aug 17, 2013]
Strength:

Awesome traction, cornering

none that I've found

Compared to the excavator, ignitor and timberwolf, the high rollers offer the best traction and most speed that I can tell. They ain't cheap, though.

Matthew Norris   [May 13, 2013]
Strength:

Grip! Good rolling resistance for such a knobby tire, great braking. With it being a 2.35 and me riding a hardtail frame and solid fork, this is the tire for me. I'm running a Maxxis Ardent in the back and what a good combo. Soft compound make this tire smooth to ride and the grip is confidence inspiring.

For XC it's probably too aggressive but for the terrain here in Israel (very dry) it's works great. Not for XC, but Maxxis makes a great tire.

For a front tire on an AM bike, BUY IT. You will like it.

Phillip   All Mountain Rider [Oct 05, 2012]
Strength:

Roll decently for a 2.35

Cornering style

Cornering grip is odd. There's no knobs between the center and outside ones. The tire corners like there's a gap. When you first lean into a turn they slip and then grip. You have to lean more to get them to grab. This gives a drift then grab cornering style. I'm not a fan. I've been on panaracers and nevegals and they just grip evenly.

DCstreet   All Mountain Rider [Aug 28, 2012]
Strength:

Grip, both on wet & dry trails (my experience)

wears out really fast

I have the 26x2.35 60a Duro, wire bead for both front & rear tires. I ride aggressively during trail rides on my 33lb Haro FS bike using Pike 454 fork. I've tried these tires on both dry & muddy conditions & so far, it has proven that it's low rolling resistance is hard to beat, compared to nevs. Another stand out feature are the side lugs, which has saved me countless times from slipping on wet roots.

I've noticed that high rollers has a bare transition area between the middle tamped knobs & the "lifesaving" sideknobs. It causes a predictable slip when rolling over wet tracks. This is very noticible especially on wide tires 2.35 & above. I hope they've improved on high rollers 2 version.

One way of knowing how awesome it's grip is by riding at a slow pace on pavement then slowly turn to either side & feel the tire's countering force. That's how awesome it is

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Larsenn TT, Kenda Nevegal,
Pete   [Jun 27, 2012]
Strength:

Eventually it becomes a slick that works fine on flat dry stuff

Not bad on very hard packed ground

I bought a couple of these and have found...

They have a fast wear rate
They show V. poor traction if the ground has seen any moisture (at all)
Avoid tree roots, slate or gravel / loose rock surfaces in these (especially if there has been any rain... at all)

I can't recommend these to anyone who likes to play anywhere that involves loose surfaces or it may rain. Similarly if you run tubeless changing these over to a.n.other tyre to cope with other conditions becomes a pain.

I won't be buying these again and I've binned the second part worn tyre.
Good luck

iqbbang   [May 06, 2012]
Strength:

okay rolling resistance for a dh tire
good grip

Wears out very very quickly

love this tire but it doesnt last very long :(

BPerfomance   All Mountain Rider [Apr 30, 2012]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, Climbing grip

Cornering grip, braking grip, wet grip

Please note review is for 60a compound. I've ridden this tire mounted front and rear on a '08 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon. Ridden on dry trails, it's not too bad. Rolls extremely well. Ridden on wet, the grip is pretty sketchy, braking grip is non-existant and cornering grip is very nerve racking. Does not shed mud very well. Not recommended for wet riding.