Maxxis High Roller Type R Tire

High Roller Type R

• M118N ramped directional knob - front or rear
  • Hardpack to medium soil racing conditions
  • One of the most advanced tires on the market
  • Hard 70a or 62a eXCeption series compounds

Dave   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

fast, surprisingly good traction

I don't know

I got these in order to roll a bit faster on the roads between my house and the trails. I recently joined a group ride that included an 850 meter accent, then a 1000 meter descent, up and over the mountains that separate East and West Taiwan. These tires performed well over some very gnarly, rocky, rooty, muddy terrain. You wouldn't think it to look at em. No flats or serious wipeouts. Fast tires.

skylar mellby   Downhiller [Aug 22, 2006]
Strength:

reallly fat but in not sure if im reviewing the right tire in got a maxxic high roller that is a 2.7 but it is a great tire is you like to drift because when you do DH with this tire you will defentilly drift on every turn u make.

on DH turns without a burm it has caused me to drift to far and wash out and get a little scraped up

good tire but,
driftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdriftdrift

Similar Products Used: intense tires, maxxis minon, kenda nevegel, kenda blue groove, maxxis highroller semi slick, and some other stuff
mtv   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2005]
Strength:

Excellent traction, good even is slightly muddy conditions. Unbelievable grip on rock

Very thin casing. Easily cut and sliced. Cannot be run tubless - tire will be cut in less than 2 hours on a normal northeast trail

I'm running the exceptional compound on 2.1's. I agree with all the other posts - an extremely narrow 2.1 - you'd think it was a 1.9. Overall the performance of the tire is great. It has much better grip on rock and roots compared to other tires (Larsons, Specialized Team Control/Master, Continentals Pros). Good control and predictable - the latter being its best quality. They do tend to wear quickly but that's expected given the sticky nature of the compound. The only complaint, I've tried running them tubless - to save weight (mine weigh in at 465g!!)but they get cut very easily - usually within 1-2 hours out on the trail. I've tried several times with the same result, a 1/8"-1/4 in slice. The trails are your typical north east rock gardens, roots and hardpack. Not the usual stuff you'd expect to cut up a tire. So unless you're riding pristine hardpack trails, plan on using a tube (I'm using 2.6 dowhhill tubes and haven't had a problem). I've never seen or talked to anyone that has had tires sliced so easily. For that I've got to knock down the rating 1 chile

Similar Products Used: too many to list
Grant   Racer [May 17, 2005]
Strength:

They are indeed fast rolling.

Maxxis width measurement is all over the map. I actually ride the 1.9, and it is extremely, extremely narrow, even for a 1.9. The tread doesn't last long at all, even with the 70a durometer.

These are the 1.9 width High Rollers in the 70a durometer.

I raced one last year and found it, with an Ignitor up front, to be blazing fast. The only drag is that I didn't even get through a third of the season with the High Roller, so a Ranchero, which was available at the time, landed out back. I was annoyed at the time that the High Roller didn't last any longer than it did, but apparently forgot because I bought another one at the start of this season. I used it in 2 XC races and a 13 hour race before a sizable gash rendered it dead, but the tread was already on the way out again anyway.

Bottom line. If you don't mind replacing tires every three or four races (that's what the Pros do, right?) then I say the High Roller is an excellent tire. Extremely fast if not the grippiest tire on wet roots and rocks. But mostly just fast. I just hate that it doesn't last longer.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Ignitor, Ranchero, Hard Drive
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2004]
Strength:

Light, fast, and I think it might have good cornering traction, but I'm not sure yet.

It's as narrow a 2.0 as you'll ever see.

There is a large "dead spot" in the cornering traction. I think you have to lean 'em way over to engage the cornering lugs, but I'm having trouble working up the nerve to do so.

I've only used this tire on the front; I've found it to be light, fast, and not the smoothest ride (as good as could be expected for such a narrow tire). Excellent braking traction and good performance on loose surfaces.

Maxxis described this as being their most most advanced race-specific tire and it's true that only an advanced rider could get the most out of it - or, perhaps more accurately, and advanced and fearless rider. I haven't had this tire completely go out on me, but it begins to slide at moderate lean angles. I'm almost certain it's because the cornering lugs aren't engaged until you're leaning hard, which means that to get maximum cornering traction, you have to let the bike slide just a little, then keep pushing harder until the corning lugs hook up. This takes a lot of nerve and it's something I'm still getting used to. Or maybe I'm wrong and it just doesn't have much cornering traction...

This could be a great race tire, but it's not for riders who easily lose their nerve.

Similar Products Used: I currently have 20 tires in my garage and all of them are still in service. There are plenty more that have come and gone. My "fast" tires are the Hutchinson Python Airlight, IRC Mythos Slick, Kenda Karma, and WTB NanoRaptor.
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2004]
Strength:

Very fast on straight-aways, Great climber.

Does not hold in fast corners well, DO NOT USE if it is wet.

Size:26x2.0, TPI 120, 62a eXCeption, 50lbs. and 45lbs psi.

This tire is very fast in a straight line. It barely feels like a knobbie. The angled ramping and lower knobs in the middle deliver as advertised. However, there is a trade off when it is time to carry all that speed you have amassed through a corner. Braking is fine, although, I did experience my rear tire fishing-tailing at times when entering fast sharp turns.

My biggest complaint is with the lack of confidence (traction) the tire has in corners, especially fast corners. The tire would wash out very early and often in corners. I would pick a line and always ended up outside that line on these tires. Yes they were fast leading me into the turns but all that was gained on the straight was lost in the turn. This also made riding less fun because I felt as though a crash always seemed eminent if I messed up just a little. One time I rode two days after Hurricane Ivan came through Atlanta. The trails were wet and riding with these tires was like riding on ICE! I do not reccomend this and neither does Maxxis to be fair.

Surprisingly, this tire is great for climbing. It goes right up everything I pointed it at.

As this tire is for "racing only" per Maxxis I guess it should only be used in straight Races!

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Mobster, IRC Mythos XC
Cul   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2004]
Strength:

GRIP: This tyre seems to grip very well on most serfaces, especially since it's very much a minimalist tyre... The soft eXCeption compound, really does make a difference and they seem to wear ok.

Rolling Resistance: The roll really well, fast on hard pack, pretty good everywhere else. The also seem to clear gritty mud half decent, although I wouldn't try them in sloppy stuff.

Weight: 495grams each is pretty good, the walls seem pretty thick and they grip well- Good spot to save some weight.

Size: I though I was getting the HighRoller eXCeption 2.1", instead the bike shop sent the Type R's which are 2.0"... Even so these tyres are a very narrow 2.0". Apparently all of Maxxis's eXCeption tyres are narrow, although very light.

Profile: Same with the Narrowness, the tyres are very low profile (i.e sidewalls), this may be a problem for some... I Race a fair bit of Enduro so bigger volume is more important to me than say durability/wear rates.

Good tyres, I got them cheap and thought it would be worth trying something else to get rid of my boat anchor Specialized tyres.

LightWeight, Grip great on pretty much everything bar wet roots (what grips there?). Unfortunatly the Narrowness of these tyres are the let down for me, I like my tyres to be kind of big... Still I think I have found a spot for these tyres in my regular line-up and I'm sure they will see lots of use at verious XC races I attend.

They wont suit everyone, but those they do, will love them.
4 Chilis for Value, and 4 for Overall

Similar Products Used: Maxxis, Michelin, Tioga, Kenda, Specialized, Continental.