Maxxis Ardent Tire

Ardent

An aggressive tread in high-volume casings distinguishes the newest addition to Maxxis' downhill and mountain disciplines.

MTBeing   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2017]
Strength:

True widths, reasonable wear, good when leaned over, good volume and profile stability when cornering.

Sketchy as a front tire in desert riding. Weeps sealant

I've heard alot of good anecdotal stuff regarding this tire for riding AZ desert.My experience is different. The (2.4") tire holds speed pretty well and maintains a good profile into turns. My particular problem lies with how this tire behaves in the turns. There's a certain scariness when these tires are leaned moderately, and I think it comes from the openness between the center and edge knobs. Once you lean the bike further, the edge knobs hold pretty well but the vagueness through the middle is not right for me in AZ desert. I'll be switching out once this tire wears down. Too bad; I really wanted to like this tire.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager XR3, Specialized Ground Control
Raymo853   All Mountain Rider [Nov 16, 2015]
Strength:

Durability, great traction in nearly all conditions, quick rolling

Would like more widths to be offered

The best tire I have ever had. I bought the pair I have 8 years ago used, on a set of used wheels. It took two years running this non-tubeless, non-EXO 2.25 version for the rear to wear out enough. The front then was used on various bikes, front and back, always tubeless using Stan's sealant. Sealed up fine on Shimano, Stans and Bonti rims. Finally after 8 years and thousands of miles from pavement to crazy rock gardens, it split apart on the tread face.

As soon as I need new tires again, I plan to buy Ardents and never go back to my mix of Racing Ralphs, Bonti XR3, Conti X-Kings again. All fine tires, but the wear out so fast comparatively.

Similar Products Used: Racing Ralphs, Bonti XR3, Conti X-Kings
Dave E   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2015]
Strength:

Fast rolling and durable as hell. Wears slowly with great grip on gravel, mud, and dirt. Recovers quickly when it does slip. Clears mud well.

Slippery on loose over hard. Back tires a bit slow on climbs.

This is a great all around trail tire. I deal with a lot of hard clay, mud, and fallen leaves in my area, and this tire just eats it up and keeps going. It's gets rolling easy and keeps rolling fast, especially downhill. The EXO casing is really tough; I've scraped plenty of rocks and roots, and rolled through sticker bushes, but have not suffered a puncture or tear in over 200 miles. I've also not seen a trace of tread wear. They get squirrely on loose over hard conditions, but they recover quickly. This is a very easy tire to slide around corners.

foggnm   All Mountain Rider [Aug 16, 2015]
Strength:

Light, fast, easy to find, durable, affordable

poor traction in technical loose or steep uphill

This tire came on the rear of my SC 5010c. I never had any issues cornering, though it is pretty easy to slide. Probably fine in the majority of situations, but in mountain west, I have found it has poor grip over steep technical terrain rather, loose or solid rock. I put my front high roller II on the back and stopped using the Ardent. The HR II definitely better on the uphill traction. I would not buy this tire again.

Big Willy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2015]
Strength:

Roll like crazy!

Slippery on dewey, hard packed clay, but I don't think anything will track on that stuff...

I switched out my 29x2.1 Ikons for a set of 2.35 Ardents. Since I have put about 175 kms on them (Canada, eh?). I ride a wide range of terrains from road (when I have to) to loose granular to mud. These things roll through everything. Love 'em.

Kerry   All Mountain Rider [May 16, 2015]
Strength:

Fast rolling, high volume, durable all mountain tire.

As a front tire, it has traction but can feel a little twitchy.

Bought the 2.4 EXO 26" version and set them up tubeless. They've been very durable, fast rolling with plenty of traction from November through to mid May here in the dry Okanagan. I ride a Nomad weighing somewhere between 33 and 35 lbs. theses tires are a great match to this bike.

Similar Products Used: Hans Dampf (great but slower and wears faster) Nobby Nic (fast but weak and fast wearing) High Roller Lust (great tire but too small volume)
NateDubya   [Apr 07, 2015]
Strength:

Stable, airs up tubeless, durable, climbs well, medium roller resist, value.

Not the fastest tire in my stable.

Reviewing the 2.25" folding version. I am not sure what the beef is against these tires. My version is the non-tubeless version and although I was unable to set it up tubeless the first go-around, after it was mounted with a tube for a few days it went tubeless no problem. It weeps sealant out of the sidewalls but this is pretty inconsequential. I ride a lot of sand, loose rock, jagged rock, and hardpack. I will say it starts to squirm a little a times but the way it recovers and never washes out has impressed me. I have only 20 miles or so using it as a front tire so cannot review its use up front. It has held up great, looses very little air and shows virtually no signs of any wear after a few hundred miles. I really like how stable it has been since everything around here has loosened up with the warmer weather.

Varaxis   [Aug 16, 2014]
Strength:

Best rubber compound for dry, hard, dusty dirt that I've ridden overall
Secure grip on straights and berms
Quick rolling and turning
Reliable construction that outlasts the tread
Can be converted to tubeless

Washes out on flat corners, even on pavement, at sharper lean angles
2.4 so big and grippy that it changes the way the front end handles

Swapping out a 2.3 Spec Purgatory to a 2.4 Ardent changed the way my bike handled drastically. On pavement, I immediately noticed more rolling resistance, but at the same time tenacious grip. I learned quickly from a parking lot test, the nuances of the "dead spot" from certain sharper lean angles, so I would not have that problem on trails. Sadly, it happened anyways on the trail, hence why I cannot award this 5 stars. It's a shame since if it weren't for that, it would be my favorite front tire due to how much confidence it gives me and how fast it allows me to go on the flowy trails. I am just afraid of the injuries this tire might lead to, due to its one weakness.

Brian412   All Mountain Rider [Feb 12, 2014]
Strength:

Outstanding grip! Lightweight. Fast rolling. Good treadwear

a little expensive (but worth it)

I have these 2.25 60a Ardents mounted tubeless front and back on 26" American Classic wheels. I moved from Nevegals to Excavators then to the Ardents, and I absolutely love the Ardents. I run these around 23psi up front and 28psi for the rear.

These tires hook up with the trail great. I have no problems washing out on corners. I've ridden so much faster into corners with these tires and they track so well. The trails I ride in Florida have a lot of sand, pine needles, technical rocky areas, hard pack, etc. and the Ardents grip through all of it. I haven't had much experience in muddy conditions with these.
These roll very fast. I'm impressed with the amount of traction you get with these, along with the fast rolling. You can really feel the side knobs biting into the trail. They are very predictable when they start to lose a bit of traction around a corner. The tires provide great feedback during turns.

I've had no problems with these airing up tubeless. It did take an air compressor to get the bead to pop in but they've been rock solid since I got them mounted. I have no problems with the bead coming out or burping. I ride these tires very hard. I've noticed very little treadwear so far.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegals, Blue Groove, Excavator's.
Brandon   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2014]
Strength:

Grip in all weather, longevity of tread, huge side knobs, low rolling resistance, grip, grip, grip, grip

Really, I dont have any to list.

Im not the type of person to put 5 chilis for a produce but these tires deserve it. They are fantastic in all weather conditions. I was using a fast rolling tire before these. I was afraid to loose that speed when I changed to something with more meat. I did not loose the speed with these tires. In addition, the read very true to the rider. They let you know well before they give out. The huge side knobs dig in and grip. All in all, these are the best tires I have owner tried. I ride in the north east so rain, rocks, roots, mud and snow are in play. These tires are great in every weather and ground condition except thick, sticky mud. The tread has lasted longer than I would have expected. Also, I run with tubes at a super low psi.