Maxxis Advantage Tire

Maxxis Advantage Tire

The Advantage is a high volume aggressive cross country tire that corners great on big side-knobs.

[Oct 19, 2014]
Ptrqc

Strength:

- lightweight
- volume
- grip
- alrounder

- didn't like it as a rear tire

Ran these front and rear on my Santa Cruz Superlight.
Had the 26x2.1 eXceptions.
As a front tire, I really liked it in rocky and rooty Quebec conditions.
Predictable.

In the rear, didn't like it at all. Had the impression of "falling over" when cornering.
This because of "gap" between center and side knobs.
Went back to my old Conti explorers.

Might want to try the 2.25 version.

Continental Explorer, Schwalbe Nobby Nic

[Dec 06, 2012]
SYB Rider

Strength:

I've run many different tires over the years and quite frankly the Advantage has probably been the best overall tire; providing excellent grip in all types of terrain along with good breaking and cornering. The terrain here is extremely rocky and I've yet to have an issue with sidewalls. As far as I'm concerned, the sidewalls give very good support but then again, they are DH tires and I would expect that. I've run tire pressure down so low I'm surprised I still did not pinch flat.

None to speak of unless you call a 2.4" tire slow.

They are heavy but then again, they are 2.4 DH tires after all not some light weight race tire. If you do lots of road riding to get to your trails, they will be slow but once again what do you expect from a 2.4 DH tire.
If you ride fast downhill trails through knarly terrain, this tire is a good choice.
I will buy another Advantage but may try out the 2.25 DH for comparison purposes.

[Oct 10, 2012]
Greg
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Reasonable weight. Fairly durable. Good rubber compound.

They suddenly and without warning wash-out when I lean the bike over.

This is for the 2.1 Exception/silkworm tyre.
I like this tyre but it is unpredictable. It suddenly and without warning washes-out when I lean the bike over. This is really worrying and it happens whether run as a front or rear. I have replaced them with Ardents which are more predictable.

[May 09, 2012]
zorg

Strength:

Corners well (front tire) and is light enough for its size

None: it was given to me. :)

I've been using the 2.25 tubeless as a front tire in the SF Bay area for a few months. I can't comment on how strong the tire is, but I really like it in hardpack, loose over hardpack. The tire rolls fast enough and inspires confidence on the DH. It has plenty of grip to not worry about the tire slipping. Rear tire is a Spesh Captain.
Although I did not pay for it, price is on par with others.

[Apr 26, 2012]
Blackthorne
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very high-volume, strong as an ox

Tread pattern works best as a rear tire.

I've swapped these out a couple times for 'lighter' tires but keep coming back to these heavy duty meats on the front as they are very confidence inspiring when going off drops or blasting through the rough stuff. The high volume gives a cushiony ride and removes the fear of pinch-flatting in rock gardens. Been riding on them for half a year now and they are only barely showing signs of wear. Not the lightest or sexiest tire out there but it'll take a pounding.

[Sep 29, 2011]
muttonmark

Strength:

Rolls Fast, Ease of Intallation, Good in Hardpack and Loose over Hard, Bites pretty good in Corners.

None So Far, well, besides Sand, but what tire is good in that?

I run the 1.95 on the rear wheel, and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 on front. In the spring, I ran Exiwolf's on the rear cause they just bite into the sloppy spring trail conditions in Michigan. When the trails started to dry up and harden, I put on the ADvantage. Wear has been good, better than the Exiwolfs. And the only wash out I have had was on a morning ride across a dewey plank bank/bridge. Other than that, I have been pretty impressed with this tire. Great Rolling resistance. Value rating: I give it 4 Chilis, Cuz these tires can run into the $60 range at some places.

Kenda Nevegal 2.1, WTB Exiwolf, Maxxis Ignitor, IRC Mythos

[Jul 21, 2011]
Scarsandtears

Strength:

Grip! Climbs like a billy goat. Rear tire is 2.25 front is 2.4. Steering is excellent, has sublte float on fast turns bite bites once outer knobs engage. On my third set, love these tires. Bike came with Schwalbe's hated em so swapped em out for the Advantage's

Price, but all rubber is going up.

Fast rolling, grippy, confidence inspriring tire. Great on rocks, loose over hard, and climbs like a goat. Great set of rubber.

Fat Alberts, Minion's.

[Jun 16, 2011]
burtonriderx

Strength:

great grip, super tacky feel. diagonal lugs are pretty soft and the square ones are pretty stiff so it offers the best of both worlds in a sense. only running on the front of my bike since the 2.4 are super tall. protect your rims well. high volume tire. excellent stopping grip. throws dirt for days

Larger than ALL my other tires, fit my rear triangle but rubs too much under stress so im only running it on the front. LARGER than all my other 2.4's. these tires are super Tall. width wasn't the issue. the square tire profile was sticks out too far from the rim and my chain-stay tube tapered a 1/2 too soon

great tire. make sure you have plenty of room if your thinking about putting them on the rear.
only gave it 3 chili's on value since they aren't too cheap and was disappointed they rubbed.but performance on the front has been greatly improved over my old kinetics

Kenda Kinetics, Maxxis holy rollers

[Feb 28, 2011]
BikeGod

Strength:

Grip, low rolling resistance. Good price, wear well and reliable.

Excellent all round tyres. They create a confidence that encourages adventurous riding and deliver consistent grip. Light enough not to be an encumberance but enough meat to take some punishment for all but the most wrecking-ball skill-less riders. They are the best all round tyre that maxxis manufacture and maxxis manufacture many excellent tyres! Recommendable.

Over the past 20 years a selection from just about every make available.

[Feb 21, 2011]
Trails-of-Fire

Strength:

Great grip on corners, excellent on climbs as was proven this weekend. Rolling resistance not too noticeable as I ride loose trails and many climbs with technical stuff. These are the true UST tubeless tire by the way.

None as of yet.

I hear complaints about tubeless (UST) tires frequently. But I can't think of anytime I have ever had any problems with seating a tire or inflating one either; does help to use an air compressor like you would use on actual car tire. And you can use a floor pump to inflate a tubeless tire too. They do go flat if you get a thorn like a tubed tire so no difference there. Final word: go tubeless and go with Maxxis ADvantage.

Hutchinson Python UST