Kenda Nexcavator Tire

Kenda Nexcavator Tire

A distinctive biting edge that will cut into the terrain, holding the tire in place as you arc through a turn. Great design for dry or wet conditions.

[Jul 17, 2017]
Matt D
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Grips EVERYTHING you can roll it over. Fantastic front tire. Super confident cornering. Sticks landings like Olympic gymnast. It feels pretty much like the old discontinued ExCavator, but maybe a tad faster rolling.

Probably a bit slow rolling for the back for XC/Trail/Enduro, but I haven't tried it there. But it's an aggressive tire and to be expected.

I was looking for a replacement for my old, discontinued ExCavator 26x2.1 DTC with the hope of getting something with a little more volume. Tried a couple of Schwalbe's (Hans Dampf and the old tread Nobby Nic both 2.35 PaceStar) that had much more volume and rolled much faster, but they were both very sketchy in turns and jumps, which is how I like to ride. Once you reached the limit of the Schwalbe's, they stopped gripping and gave you a painful lesson... and had a lot of bad crashes through that experiment. It really sucked because I felt like I couldn't get the tires off the ground anymore. Sad and no fun.

The Nexcavator feels like the ExCavator but may be a little faster rolling. It grips on everything and if it ever loses traction, it instantly hooks up again after it rolls off of whatever caused the slip. The only time I could get it to drift in on loose sandy, or loose gravely corners and it was very predictable. This tire gives you confidence to push your limits and save you from most of your mistakes and bad decisions. It goes exactly where you point it and that helps keep your line on both climbs and descents. It feels like it rolls a little slower than the Schwalbe's on smooth, straight trails, but it's definitely faster everywhere else... or maybe they felt faster because they felt sketchy. I have the 26x2.35 SCT DTC. It measures a bit smaller than advertised. Measures approx. 2.18 on my narrow XC, rim brake wheel and it looks a bit skinny, but the traction is much better than the larger volume tires that I tried. The Hans Dampf 2.35 measured about 2.5 on the same wheel and the extra volume did not equal extra traction.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic. It didn't work as a front tire for me, but maybe the PaceStar is the wrong compound for my riding style as a front tire. I will use it on the rear when I need to replace my current rear tire. It's nice and light and rolls fast.
Schwalbe Hans Dampf didn't work for me as a front tire either, but again, maybe the PaceStar was the wrong one to use on the front. It had more traction that the Nobby Nic, but still just sent you to the ground once you passed it's limit. I'd try it on the back if it wasn't so wide. I don't think it'd fit my frame unless I ditched the front derailleur.

OVERALL
[Jul 23, 2013]
Ted
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Grip, durability, price, performance

NONE

Bought the 2.35 wire bead. I am running it on the rear of my Ellsworth Dare. Just finished four solid days of riding at Whistler, we all know that it's dry as a popcorn fart up there right now and I came away with NO flats in the 4 days. I am thoroughly impressed , did every run there except 8 and " Top Of The World" 3 times, I am sure a lot of us know how rocky, nasty, long, beautiful run that is, along with some soft loamy stuff, mudd, and water and the tire did very well. I had an Excavator a while back and really liked it, but this tire is defiantly better. I know it's only 4 days of riding, but a lot of miles and abuse in 4 days and I would say this is one of the best tires I have put on my bikes. I am waiting for my folding Nexcavators that I ordered from Price Point to put on my all mnt. bike. I havn't had it on the front , but I honestly don't think I will be disappointed ( seeing 2 are coming for the all mnt. bike)
I would say try this tire, overall U won't be disappointed and price is quite reasonable

About 18 different tires and brands