Kenda Kozmik Lite Tire

The Kenda Kozmik Lite II is a 60Tpi MountainTireThat features a lightweight semi-slick design with a low rolling resistance rubber compound makingThis a greatTire for use in urban or hardpack conditions.Tire Bead: Folding ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 50 mm TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" Tire Use: Mountain Weight: 460 g PSI: 40-80 PSI

tirador   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2011]
Strength:

These are very light tires. They roll fast on pavement and hold well in dry and semi moist conditions. I have been using the 1.75 version on the trails and they are still good! These have traction on dry trails i think because of the side knobs.

None that I can think of. These are semi slicks so they are not intended for muddy conditions, but aside from that they are great.

Unless it is rainy season or muddy, these are my perfect all around tires to use. They are predictable and fast rolling. They are not prone to flats in my experience, so far just around 5 in 2 years. The 1.75s are a bit punishing on the HT in the trails but the 2.0 would be just right if you are looking for a softer ride.

Similar Products Used: nevegals, small block 8, crossmarks.
bdcain   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2011]
Strength:

light fast durable very sticky on ice and hardpack snow!

price, cant get em anymore

well its been over 10 years and the rear tire needs replacing soon
the cords are showing
the nubs are gone
and have a flap glued back after what looks like a scalping
but I will still run it for a while longer
good to see how far you can push it
just in case the world goes down the tubes

Similar Products Used: similar none
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

super light, low rolling resistance, decent side knob bite

Scary. Scary going up, scary going down, scary in the corners

These things should come with a warning label. No one who rides off-road should even consider it as a front tire. I did a test ride today using this on the rear and a Michelin Comp S Light on the front, riding my favorite hardpack (this time of year) trail.

It's got about as much traction as my 1.85 Intense Wedge tires did in the straights, but while the huge side knobs made the Wedge and effective mud tire (at 100 grams heavier), the Kozmik definitely isn't. That having been said, this thing is amazingly fast on hardpack. Which is good, because it slips really quickly under low-speed, high torque (read: technical) riding. You need to carry a lot more speed into short, steep, loose hills. And stay seated.

I have no objective measurement of whether I was faster than when I ran a Hutchinson Python Air Light rear and Intense System 2 front, but I definitely spent a lot more time concentrating on my line and laying off the rear brake to prevent skidding out the tire.

I'm 185 lbs. with Camelback and ran it at 40 psi with a 125-gram Continental tube with no problems on some harsh, high-speed chatter bumps.

Similar Products Used: Intense Wedge 1.85
Chas   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

Speed and smoothness.

Loses it on wet pavement.

Needed a semi-slick after my primary riding became more pavement than dirt :^( Tried Racing Raptors but they flatted an average of once every two weeks. Moved to Kenda Kozmic Lites recently. Great tire. Fast and smooth riding. But don't try any sharp fast turns on wet pavement. They lose grip and you end up sliding.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Racing Raptor.
John   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Fast & light. Fast climber. Low rolling resistance.

Potential rear washout during fast turns due to shallow thread design.

Faster and lighter than the small block eights. Confidence building while climbing. Huge probability of a washout while doing fast downhills, especially with 50psi plus air pressure. You can leave others behind on the climbs, just be careful on the descents.

Similar Products Used: Nearest would be Kenda Small block eight.
Will   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, low rolling resistance

Flats. Poor traction in sand, mud, etc., but that is not what this tire is supposed to be good at.

Fast and light. But since mounting this as my rear tire, I have had at least half a dozen flats -- all on the rear tire. I am lightweight and do not ride aggressively, I do not get flats very often. I won't buy them again.

Similar Products Used: IRC Slick Mythos XC
David Shanahan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2006]
Strength:

Very light and VERY fast and fast and light. And fast. Tough for lightweight tires. Fast, too.

No lateral traction, makes me mess my bike shorts. Wear quickly. Climb fast, but any mistake in body position results in severs traction loss.

I purchased these on advlce of the guy at the LBS. I asked for suggestions to lighten my ride. He had a bit of an odd twilnkle in his eye when he handed me these. Now I know why.

I switched out hubs, rims and tires at the same time and it felt like I had added a 3hp engine on the downhills. Holy crap these things are FAST! On my very first ride I crossed a small wet patch in the trail - maybe 3 feet across - we're talking flat, straight trail - and the bike side-sips a couple inches. Mind you, it feels like a foot to me because I've only ridden Panaracers and the like, and they won't slip in 3" of bacon grease.

I was determined to give these tires a full audition. In the past year I have ridden them many times on trails in GA, NC and AL. In all of these locations one can expect a little moisture on the trails at some point. On the bright side, I feel these tires are tougher than one mjght expect from an ultra-light tire. I took them on some pretty rough trails in Montesano (Huntsville, AL), and while I did manage to fold the tire half way around the side of the rim on one patch of rocks, I never punctured the tire or got an irreparable flat. In the long run, however, I have mostly abandoned these tires after 1 year because I simply cannot muster any confidence while using them. Any speed gains I got in climbing and downhills were probably negated by me slowing down excessively in the turns. Any time I saw loose dirt or sand in a turn, or, heaven forbid, a wet patch I would slow it down and still and hold my breath. On a easy or moderate, wide trails (most of DuPont Forest trails in NC) they would be great, but for typical XC conditions here in the SE they don't work for me. YMMV.Still, I give them four chiles because they are tough and they are exactly what they claim to be. Did I mention they are fast?

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Mosquito, Panaracer Fire XC
Loi   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight. Fast rolling.

I got my Michelin Wildgripper on front and Kozmik Lite on the rear. I have managed to climb hardpack, loose rocks, and slick mud without much difficulty. There were some slippage on the slick mud, but the mud sheds right off the Kenda. The tires are slick so don't expect it to climb like others, but for all around cross-country these are awesome. The sidewall seems stronger than my michelin. I have torn two sidewalls of my Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tires. It is narrow, so going through technical rocky sections a little scary, but it handles it decently. Going through corners hard are sketchy, but so are my Michelin.

Similar Products Used: IRC Velociraptor, Michelin Wildgripper Comp S, Bontrager Jones, Panaracer Pyros
Dave   Racer [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

Light,fast rolling,easy to fit

dont last very long (but what do you expect from a 395 gram racing tire)

I have been using these tires for around a year now, and have being using them both F&R with no problems.The rear tire only lasts around 200kms of racing, but the front is always fine for at least twice that.Some caution is reqiued when using this tire f&r as the front will all ways let go early , but most racers should be able to feel the limit before going over it, and the advantage of a faster open area section will always make up for this.This tire is defintely for racing only and is wasted any were other than a hard pack race circuit.

Similar Products Used: most other racing semi slicks
Randy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2001]
Strength:

Fast

Only for hardpack..... Do not ride this tire in rocky or rough trails. It will self destruct!

Fast Tire but for racing only.
Only had these for Two weeks and they are trashed.
I bought them for a race and figured I would ride them leading up to the race to get a good feel for them.
Can't complain about how fast the are as I came in second in the race.....But thats the end of both tires.
20% of the side knobs missing on the rear and 5% on the front.Between 40-50% of the rest of them are partially torn off.
To be fair I realize that these are a racing tire. On the other hand they shedded so quick that Ross at Wheel Goods had no problem replacing the with another set of tires. Going to give the Maxxis Worm Drive a try.
1 Flaming Chili for value because they Self Destruct
4 For Overall because they are fast if used for for dry condition racing and the do stick good for a Semi slick