IRC Mythos XC Tire

Mythos XC

CAF Technology. Scaled down tread design and with a lighter casing suitable for Cross Country. Dual compound tread rubber for better bite, better cornering, and low rolling resistance. Weight 510g.

Fuzz   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap durable tire.

Fast hardpack

A decent tire that performance often has on sale. My only complain is they tend to skitter at high speeds on the hardpack. It just doesn't roll smoothly and absorb the little stuff like the Kendas will.

Similar Products Used: Fire XC, Nevagal
pk   Weekend Warrior [Sep 13, 2010]
Strength:

fast rolling, good grip on most surfaces I have used them on, nice looking

I put roughly 35 miles off road on them and there was a severe blow out in the sidewall, right above the wire bead. Luckily, the bike was sitting on my roof rack and I wasn't bombing down a hill. Upon inspection, the steel bead wire seemed very rusted and the blow out in the side wall came right above the bead. The blowout looked like a 3/4 inch slice.

I really enjoyed the performance of the tire, but the blowout of the sidewall may scare me off from buying another one.

Similar Products Used: WTB tires
slomyro   Downhiller [Jul 20, 2009]
Strength:

keeps me on the bike more than i can say for the bontragers i had on did

they tend to hold on to the mud but i haven't come across to many tires that are a whole lot better either

overall pretty happy with the tire. no tire is perfect they all have plusses and minuses. for the price i paid im not complaining at all.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, v raptors
davie   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap

These tires suck. Do not waste your money or your time. The rear tire split after a 3 mile ride. Yes 3 miles! I emailed IRC twice absolutely no response at all. Not only do they make crap products but they don't have any customer service at all. Returned them to Perfomance no questions asked they replaced with WTB Velociraptor Tire which work great.

Similar Products Used: WTB Velociraptor Tire
SKV   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2009]
Strength:

Looks cool

don't hold on rock... Don't hold on loose soil... Just don't hold...

Mythos has medium size pattern that tends to accumulates mud. Once stuck with mud tire becomes useless.

I ride every weekend in New Jersey My favorite trial are:
Ramapo, Ringwood and '6 mile run'. Like most NJ trails they are rocks, loose gravel soil, some mud, roots. Over years, I went through many IRC Trailbear and decide to try Mythos XC.

While riding across the slope Mythos tends to slide down. It also gets stuck with mud and slides on big rocks. While climbing wheel sinks in loose soil. Only on mud wheel finds some traction. I am 180 lb, so it is not about my weight.
I am back to Trailbear.

Similar Products Used: IRC TrailBear, Panaracer Fire xc pro, Panaracer Dart,
driscoli   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2009]
Strength:

durability, good mud clearance, good cornering

weight, sand performance

These tires came stock on my bike when I bought it. I thought about switching them out but decided to try them. They've handled great for several years. I mostly ride hardpack, some sand, some rooty trails but minimal hills since most of my rides are in Florida. They corner great and work well through the mud. I've had a few thorns, etc but nothing that caused major damage, although it's only a matter of time before any tire finds a thorn or rock ro gravel piece that ends it. I usually run 40-45psion both the front and back. I'd recommend these to anyone who rides cross country, expecially int he mixed terrain of the southeastern states.

Similar Products Used: bontrager, kenda
James Armstrong   Racer [Mar 25, 2009]
Strength:

Everything imaginable!

Gets flats when you ride through cactus. That's about it.

This tire is awesome but I rode it through a cactus and it popped. I like to ride through rivers and washes.

Similar Products Used: You name it, I've tried it.
Lawson Raider   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2009]
Strength:

Durability, traction

I have never noticed any issue with traction on these tires. I have ridden on snow packed trails with these and had but a minute slippage taking a curve fast.

If you ride sensibly, these tires do a wonderful job at keeping you on the trail. I have ridden these tires on flat and very steep terrain, very curvy terrain and for the most part, the tires did their job as well as can be expected.

In two years with running these tires, never (knock on wood) had a puncture but hoping I don't find out the hard way on how susceptible or not these tires are to punctures.

Barkleyfan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2008]
Strength:

price, weight

traction

Not the best tire I've run. Slides are predictable and easy to maintain. They are also inevitable. Tire packs with mud at low speed, and kills low speed climbs with spinning at the wrong time. My Giant Rainier has old worn, semi-slick Hutchinson Mosquitos that get better traction on climbs and in the corners. I do have to give the braking to the Mythos, especially in mud.

Bottom line is on dry hardpack, they rock. Throw anything else at them, they are disappointing.

Similar Products Used: Psycho K/TT, Smoke/Dart, Z-Max, Hutchinson Mosquitos.
justjoshnya   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2008]
Strength:

Pretty Durable, Light, good hookup front and rear in most conditions, fairly flat resistant. Tall knobs appropriately spaced. good all around tire

Must get psi just right see below

I have used these tires for 10 years and love them. They are a great priced, light weight, fast rolling, good all around tire. Great hookup in all conditions. I've used them in desert, mud, hardpack, rooty. I live in the ozarks where it is mad rocky and they do well. I work at a bike shop and we have a mtb club of about 40 riders and I have observed for years that these tires last longer with less flats. I recommend running Panaracer Flat Away Kevlar Liners inside, they are super light felt (30g) and stick to the inside of the tire and stay put and virtuerally eliminate all flats. I weight 170 and like 45psi up front and 50 rear(full suspension) I find the right psi is crucial with these tires due to the tall knobs. Too high and the tires wash out on you in fast corners.