IRC Mythos XC Slick Tire

Mythos XC Slick

Rolling resistance is a poison that burns your lungs and drowns you quads in lactic acid. In that spirit we offer the Mythos XC Slick, a low profile, speed-inducing elixir that eliminates rolling resistance as quickly as it eliminates other members of your XC field. Includes the flat-resistant PFR System, light but strong CAF Casing and ground grabbing Hybrid tread compound. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications

Eric J   [May 23, 2013]
Strength:

Low roll resistance on the road and dirt. Tread lasted more than 1,000 miles! Won't load up with mud. Low price @ Pricepoint.com

Sharp turns on wet asphalt at speed will dang near KILL YOU! Came with white mould release agent caked all over the outside/tread.

I had these tires on my bike for quite awhile, the tread seemed to lose it's sharp, defined edges rather soon; but it actually lasted for more than 1,000 miles. The tires didn't seem to make all that much noise on the road or in the dirt. Lots of people thought these tires were baldies from skidding before pointing out that these were "Slicks." You will go alot faster with these tires, and I am trying to find a new set with little luck. There was some white mould release agent all over the outside of the tires/tread, this came off after a few wet rides. Be careful if you are riding on wet asphalt, a sharp turn while going too fast will wipe you out. All in all, I really like this tire, it does what it needs to do and more.

muttonmark   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2011]
Strength:

Price, Roll, and the Red Sidewalls looked pretty cool with my Orange Reynolds 853 Hardtail

Wet/Loose/Rooted Terrain - Danger!!!

This tire has been riden on tight hardpack singletrack, as well as worn in Michigan Rooted singletrack, wet and dry. Let me tell you this, dry in July/Aug, keep 'em on but shift your weight well in the rooty stuff. Get 'em off when the leaves start to fall and the rain comes, 'cuz you'll pay like I did if you leave them on.(Thank God I was wearing my helmet). A friend gave these to me, so I tried them out(Red-Japenese Model). Now I just put these on for Spring warm-up Street Riding. I haven't had the cornering issue on pavement that I have read in the other reviews, but these were also pretty worn.

javier   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, relatively light

Vibrates when ridden on pavement, unprecise cornering on the road

Although it should ride smooth, it vibrates a lot on pavement when compared to other 1.95 wide tires (I use 40psi) and the tire looks square when looked at when ridden. Perhaps higher pressure could round the tire a little and run smooth.

Cornering on pavement is scary. The high lateral knobs is problably the origin of such road instability. Be careful when cornering on pavement.

On the other side, those high lateral knobs make the tire perform surprisingly well for a semi-slick on hardpack, whether you are climbing or descending.

Bottom line: good tire for hardpack, not so good tire for pavement. Value rating based on cheap price. Otherwise it would have been 3.

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos XC II, WTB Velociraptors, Kenda Kharma & Klimax
wv_bob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, light, fast rolling

Some buzz

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've put about 200 miles on these tires and they're working fine for me. No sidewall blowout, no unexpected breakaway when cornering. I admit, I got them to break loose once, on grass, but I had to try to make it happen.

If you're like me, riding a combination of pavement and smooth dirt, these tires are worth a shot, especially at the pricepoint twofer price.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey SpeedMax
cpad007   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Nice rolling on pavement/asphalt/hardpack gravel

Cornering!

I'm a pure commuter on my MTB and 2/3 of my commute is on paved trails and 1/3 is on hard-packed gravel. I like the speed (i.e. low rolling resistance) on the street and hardpack but the knobbies also come in handy on the hardpack where the gravel/dirt piles up here and there and they also work well in the rain on the hardpack. I've read about side walls blowing out on these but I've used these tires for 3+ years and have never had such a problem. I've simply worn them out and am on my 4th or 5th set. I do about 6000 miles per year. I love these tires and Priceline's 2 for $20 is a fabulous deal although lately, the price has been bumped to 2 for $30.

Yes, cornering is BAD with these on the street. Don't take it too hard or you will lay down when the rear wheel breaks free on you. You just need to learn the limits and you'll be fine. Of course, full knobbies are just as bad on the street, too, so this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hemisphere, IRC Mythos Slick
Wull   Racer [Sep 14, 2007]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, low price

Quality control -- defective sidewalls.

Nonexistent customer support

See earlier review. Sidewalls failed twice on road when new. Since that review, circumstances led me to put one of these I already had on the bike. Sidewall failed in first 10 meters of riding. It was on level, clean pavement.

I AGAIN tried customer service -- emails to address I was given bounced and the company rep at the original email address ignored my requests for an up to date email address. Pathetic

I will keep two chilis for value just because they are quite inexpensive, but that is being generous given the failure rate I have experienced.

Similar Products Used: Velocipraptors, nanoraptors, Kharsima Lite II
James Feragola   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2003]
Strength:

Wear quality is excellent, Good traction in any condition, Look good, Cheap, The perfect compromise between Pavement and Dirt.

For what they are intended for these tires do the job as well as any other Semi Slick I have seen.

If you ride Mostly in the dirt but somtimes venture onto paved ground, these tires are for you. If you ride mostly on paved ground but can't help getting down in the dirt once in a while then these tire are for you. If you never, ever leave the pavement then you still wont be disapointed but would be more satisfied with a slick tire.

Gena Crocodile   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance.

One or two flats each ride. These things pick up thorns like you wouldn't believe. I've been through four sets of tubes with these tires and I'm done with them. I;ve used several other dual-purpose tires, and while these do perform well in the dirt, I spend more time fixing flats than I do riding.

Don't buy them. They're being discounted in a lot of places, but you'll pay back everything you save in new tubes and aggravation.

Similar Products Used: Avocet ATB semi-slick, CyclePro Kevlar slick.
Will   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2006]
Strength:

Low price, low rolling resistance but still ok in sand

Sidewall. Durability

I am an adventure racer who does longer (12 hours and up) events. In those races, hardpack is the majroity of the biking, but there is plenty of sugar sand and often some pavement, with perhaps 8-10 miles of single-track thrown in, so I want a tire that is efficient where I will be spending most of the riding time and will not get me killed on the technical stuff. This tire does strike that balance well. That is why I have been using this model for over 2 years. However, I have twice in the last few months had the sidewall on a new tire fail while simply riding on level pavement. I notice that the reviews from 2006 are not very positive. I tried to contact the company, was told to e-mail them in Japan only to have my e-mail bounce. I am hoping that the company will fix this problem as I liked the product a lot before. Although price is low, having to walk home dampens my enthusiasm a lot.